• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Anime recommendations?

Air Gear. But the manga is definitively better than the anime for the unique reason it continues the adventure! It's my favorite manga for years now, I think my town will be inspired by this and... why not give it a try?
I loved Letter Bee, Kuro****suji as both animes and mangas as well.
I used to watch a lot of Hetalia younger. Very funny!

I'll talk about movies now. The Boy and the Beast, Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away are stunning! The first one in my list is my favorite movie ever. I'm a true fan for years!

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Kyoukai no Kanata (beyond the boundary)
Symphogear
Fruits Basket <3 (the remake is so nice)
Angel Beats (already mentioned, but it's really good)
I really like Shakugan no Shana but it was one of the first animes I watched so it might not be as good as I remember
Your Name (movie)
Mushi-shi (very calming)
Blood+ (horror, but lovely)

There's a lot of anime to recommend, but here's a few I think you might enjoy :3

apologies in advance if there are any repeats!
i'm typing most of the names from memory so theres prolyl a mix of the english/romanji im sorry

series:
Piano no Mori / Forest of Piano
> I love this one, it's an old favorite ever since I started reading the manga like way back in 2013 or something like that lol. no romance tho.
Clannad
> + clannad after story
Angel Beats!
> the afterlife is a high school
Natsume Yuujinchou / Natsume's Book of Friends
> fantasy-modern, it's quite good. relaxing/slow-paced. lots of japanese folklore references
ReLIFE
> high school reliving
Gakuen Alice / Alice Academy
> my pick of the "magical girl" genre tbh. it's also hella cute
xXxHoLiC
> Gothic/lots of japanese folklore/shinto references
Hyouka
> high school mystery-type show
Allison & Lillia
> I haven't seen the show, but it's an adaptation of 2 LN series I loved, Allison, and Lillia and Treize

movies:
Kimi no Na Wa / Your Name
5 cm/s
honestly anything else that Makoto Shinkai makes
Sayonara no Asa ni Yakusoku / Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms

bonus if you plan to get into manga:
Kusuriya no Hitorigoto / The Pharmacist's Monologue
Saihate no Paladin / The Faraway Paladin
To Your Eternity

extra extra credit if you can stand reading light novels:
Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria / The Empty Box & the Zeroth Maria
Hyouka
Wu Ming Qishi / The Legend of the Sun Knight (this is by a Taiwanese author, so technically Chinese)

dm me if you need a source for watching purposes :^)

Last edited:
The only anime I would really recommend would be Studio Ghibli, which, while it is Japanese animation, it doesn't really fit under the other qualifiers that makes anime 'anime'. The tropes, the lack of frames, the sloppy repetition of shots. None of that really exists in Ghibli films, which is why they're so respectable and widely known. They're good on their own, outside of labels like anime.

Back