• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

ACNH Guide On Hybrids

Yup, for visual this is a comparison:

View attachment 251970

It essentially removes one RNG bottleneck in favour for better odds of the correct hybrid red rose.

Additionally, BackwardsN's method can have a slight modification done to it to increase odds:

Once you get a 1220 Red from the two 1210 Orange, you can replace one of the 1210 Orange with a 1220 Red for increased 1220 Red odds (25%), and increases Blue Rose to 12.5%
Oh, amazing! Thank you so much. This is really interesting and helpful.

This will likely be my final "bump", since it seems its against the rules to be bumping this I think.

Last edited:
Alright, guess here it goes I guess...

Effective immediately, I will no longer be 'bumping' this thread as according to staff and rules, this thread is not able to be 'bumped'.

As much as I want to provide information that's useful to the community, I don't feel its worth being banned permanently over if some big meanie decides to report me and this thread.

That said, if you see this.. BOOKMARK THIS THREAD IF YOU WANT TO USE IT! I can't bump it anymore or else I risk being permanently banned for it.
Post automatically merged:

Hopefully auto-merge doesn't kick in but the thread has been added to the Animal Crossing: New Horizons FAQ Sticky under the newly created User Created Guides Section.

Additionally, I've updated Method 3 of the Blue Roses section. Specifically, Step 4 as a better alternative was found by my friend that yields a higher percentage over the previous version (12.5% -> 25%). Better RNG is always... well, better.

gosh darn it automerge you're mean

Anyways, I will try to 'bump' this thread by posting updates made to the thread. I'm going to work on adding 'special' methods for specific hybrids as well as cleaning it up over time by using the charts and stuff.

Last edited:
We can still keep this thread afloat with actual hybrid discussion ;). I'm wondering what flower formations people find optimal for breeding hybrids. I like to use this formation that I used in NL that was pretty effective in that game:

-O-O-
X-X-X
-O-O-
X-X-X
-O-O-

X and O represent different flowers, and - represents empty spaces.

In NL, I would bury fertilizer in the middle and it would work well for generating 4-6 flowers a day, but there is no fertilizer in NH and the breeding mechanics have changed, so I don't think this is optimal. Also, since watering cans can break, putting flowers in formations that minimize the number of uses of the watering can is helpful. There are a lot of factors to consider including being able to maximize the number of desired breeding pairs, minimizing unwanted breeding pairs, leaving space for the offspring, minimizing the space taken up on your island, and being watering can friendly.

We can still keep this thread afloat with actual hybrid discussion ;). I'm wondering what flower formations people find optimal for breeding hybrids. I like to use this formation that I used in NL that was pretty effective in that game:

-O-O-
X-X-X
-O-O-
X-X-X
-O-O-

X and O represent different flowers, and - represents empty spaces.

In NL, I would bury fertilizer in the middle and it would work well for generating 4-6 flowers a day, but there is no fertilizer in NH and the breeding mechanics have changed, so I don't think this is optimal. Also, since watering cans can break, putting flowers in formations that minimize the number of uses of the watering can is helpful. There are a lot of factors to consider including being able to maximize the number of desired breeding pairs, minimizing unwanted breeding pairs, leaving space for the offspring, minimizing the space taken up on your island, and being watering can friendly.

I'm planning on remaking the main thread to make it look a bit more appealing, as well as adding additional methods for the other flower species as well over time, and adding little extras to the thread. Basically, I'm making it my own thing, and not just a copy-paste of a datamine document.

As for what I personally prefer for my hybrids, I use these formations:

example.jpg

It isn't the most efficient format, but I prefer aesthetics over efficiency at times.

One thing I feel may be worth mentioning at least as far as how I grow my hybrids is unless the offspring your going for is the same colour as the flowers your breeding with I encourage hybrids cloning. Still going for a purple tulip and orange hyacinth and any orange that spawn are welcomed and seeing as there’s no limit to how many flowers can spawn I stick them together.

With roses I do keep them separate as blue roses are far to specific and keeping track of which flower is which is much more important.

One more thing I’m testing which has probably already been proven is to get black tulips spawned from orange tulips to try and make purple, my theory is thatjust like with other flowers found on hybrid islands are capable.

One thing I feel may be worth mentioning at least as far as how I grow my hybrids is unless the offspring your going for is the same colour as the flowers your breeding with I encourage hybrids cloning. Still going for a purple tulip and orange hyacinth and any orange that spawn are welcomed and seeing as there’s no limit to how many flowers can spawn I stick them together.

With roses I do keep them separate as blue roses are far to specific and keeping track of which flower is which is much more important.

One more thing I’m testing which has probably already been proven is to get black tulips spawned from orange tulips to try and make purple, my theory is thatjust like with other flowers found on hybrid islands are capable.

Oh yeah, for sure. You really need to meticulous with roses, one mess up throws everything into chaos. I've pretty much got an entire area dedicated to blue roses.

Anyways, I'm going to be giving the main post a massive overhaul over the next few days. You know, spruce it up and make it my own, add new stuff. Etc. I'll likely start a bit of it tonight, and we'll see how much I get done.

I put off planning large parts of my island so I could have lots of room to breed flowers. Got a purple windflower today and that leaves me with only roses left to work on.

I got my first confirmed good purple rose today! Have ten that I am still testing. I put a pattern on the ground that says "white" next to any white producing pairs (of test purple and yellow) and plan to remove any that accumulate four of those signs.

It was hard to decide whether to leave the purple alone to clone or pair it with an orange. Ended up pairing it, hoping that others will pass the test and join it soon.

NOTICE!
Over the coarse of the next few days (3 to 7 days), I'll be remaking the main post to tidy it up a ton! Due to this, a lot of extra information will be missing until I complete everything.

Please bear with me for a while.

NOTICE!
Over the coarse of the next few days (3 to 7 days), I'll be remaking the main post to tidy it up a ton! Due to this, a lot of extra information will be missing until I complete everything.

Please bear with me for a while.

Alright, I had a bit of extra time so I updated the first half with basic information. I'll get to blue roses tomorrow, and I'll start on advanced methods later on in a few days, followed by attempting to explain a few mechanics on hybrids.

Please bear with me a bit longer.

Alright, I had a bit of extra time so I updated the first half with basic information. I'll get to blue roses tomorrow, and I'll start on advanced methods later on in a few days, followed by attempting to explain a few mechanics on hybrids.

Please bear with me a bit longer.
I have a question.
Can I create hybrids from the hybrids I have obtained from other people?

I have a question.
Can I create hybrids from the hybrids I have obtained from other people?

Yeah, shouldn't have any issue there. Products of the hybrids you get from others will vary, depending on their genetics. But you'll have no issue getting more of the same colour, or cloning them.

If it rains and you water your flowers does that count as 2 waterings?

If it rains and you water your flowers does that count as 2 waterings?

Self-watering and rain are considered the same thing, though if it rains first and you water your flowers your watering can won't lose durability.

UPDATE!
I finally finished remaking the blue rose section of the guide. The following has changed:
  • It looks nicer and matches the rest of the guide.​
  • One method has been removed, as the new alternative method added invalidates the previous method.​
  • My mental health due to my draft suddenly deciding it didn't want to save half way through editing the thread and my browser crashing and having to redo about half of the blue rose section. Don't worry, I'm OK. o-o;;
My next plan is to add a little section to the beginning of the thread detailing some of the mechanics recently discovered, as well as a few other tips and tricks.

After that is done, I plan on researching some 'extra' methods of obtaining some hybrids with methods that require a little extra work in favour of higher results.

Last edited:
This is good info! I will use the new method for getting blue roses. Just one thing: are you sure orange x orange tulips have a 12.5% chance at purple? I know the datamine document says so but every time I used punnett squares to work out hybrid some methods, I was getting 6.25% chance at purple from 2 orange bred from seed yellow and red. I also used https://aeonsake.gitlab.io/acnh-flower-breeder/ and got the same result. I wonder if that was actually an error in that original document? It confused me a bit haha

Too much work setting up and keeping track of. I'll sit this one out. Roses aren't even my favorite flower in Animal Crossing. Lucky for me, my most favorite AC flower can be bought straight from Nook's Cranny

Trying to find info about discovering if a blue pansy is special or not by breeding it with a seed yellow, but now I can't find the info and desired result... help!

I am trying for purple windflowers, so I bred two (potentially hybrid) red windflowers from a blue x red. The resulting red windflowers just spawned a blue windflower today. Does anyone know if that means those two reds have the correct genetics to eventually produce a purple?

Edit: pansies too, I suppose. I had two red pansies from a blue x red pairing and they also produced a blue pansie this morning. Does that mean they will eventually make a purple?

@Khaelis ?

Last edited:
Back