• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

ACNH Guide On Hybrids

Khaelis

Bell Tree Forum's Resident Hybrid Addict
Bells
Black Famous Mushroom
Black Famous Mushroom
Toy Hammer
I highly recommend bookmarking this thread, as it gets lost very quickly!

Also, if you have any questions, feel free to reply and tag me (@Khaelis) in your post, or send me a DM/Conversation.
I'll respond as soon as I am able.

Hello, and welcome to my guide on hybrids for Animal Crossing: New Horizons!

The name's Khaelis and I am really obsessed with hybrids, and after seeing various datamined information and guides on YouTube, paired with less than accurate information being spread on the forums at times, I decided this guide needed to be made.

This guide will cover the basic methods of obtaining every hybrid colour for each species of flower currently in Animal Crossing: New Horizons and will be updated when required if new flower species are added in the future via a game update. This guide will also cover some basic mechanics and some tips and tricks.
If you see any errors such as information error, spelling error, etc, please notify me by leaving a comment on this guide, by opening up a conversation with me, or leaving a message on my profile!

Additionally, please leave a comment to add to the discussion! Not only will this bump the thread so more people can see it, a conversation on hybrids never hurts!

Well then... Let's get into the guide!

Mechanics
Before I get into the flowers, I would like to briefly mention a very handy tool for hybrid breeding:

This tool lets you see how the genetics work (in number format) and lets you mess around to see what you're actually doing.
First off, I'll cover some basic mechanics of hybrids, namely how they work and how you can increase your odds of a successful day of hybrid breeding.

In Animal Crossing: New Horizons, a new mechanic was added related to watering flowers. When you have a visitor to your island, either by online multiplayer or local multiplayer (not same console files, AKA other human residents of your island) and those visitors water your flowers, you gain increased odds of hybrids for the flowers they watered, and you even get visual changes to the sparkles your flowers have when you water them yourself depending on how many unique visitors have watered them.

The following chart will cover the bonuses:

Unique VisitorIncrease in Hybrid GrowthVisual Effect
Player or rainy weather
+5%
Regular white sparkle
One
+20%
Regular white sparkle
Two
+30%
Regular white sparkle
Three
+45%
Silver/blue sparkles
Four
+60%
Silver/blue sparkles
Five
+75%
Iridescent golden sparkles
Ignore the random colours, it looked yucky in all black...
Secondly, a second new mechanic has been added to Animal Crossing: New Horizons which I personally call Hybrid Cloning.

If the chosen flower is watered without a flower of the same species in its surrounding tiles, the chosen flower will have a chance to pollinate itself, creating a perfect identical clone of itself on one of the surrounding tiles. This duplicate hybrid will have the exact same genetics as the flower it was cloned from. This mechanic is incredibly useful in certain methods of hybrid breeding, namely blue roses and certain multi-step hybrid flowers such as purple pansies or green mums.

Additionally, all flowers are able to breed on Stage 3 of growth, the budding stage which is the stage just before the flower blooms into a fully grown flower. Flowers do not need to be fully grown in order to spawn hybrids!

Hybrids Section
★ Hybrid Garden Layouts
This is just a quick little section to direct you to a very helpful video guide by YouTube creator DazzaBound, where he has uploaded a video guide on hybrid garden layouts. Please refer to his helpful guide (and give it a like!) on these various layouts!

Species: Cosmos
All red, yellow and white cosmos listed in this chart are assumed to be from cosmos seed bags unless stated otherwise, such as (Hybrid) offspring.

The following chart lists the basic combinations to obtain all cosmos hybrids:

Flower 1Flower 2ProductPercentage
Red Cosmos
Yellow Cosmos
Orange Cosmos
100%
White Cosmos
Red Cosmos
Pink Cosmos
100%
Orange Cosmos
Orange Cosmos
Black Cosmos
6.25%

Species: Lilies
All red, yellow and white lilies listed in this chart are assumed to be from lily seed bags unless stated otherwise, such as (Hybrid) offspring.

The following chart lists the basic combinations to obtain all lily hybrids:

Red Lily
Yellow Lily
Orange Lily
50%
Red Lily
Red Lily
Black Lily
Pink Lily
25%
25%
Red Lily
White Lily
Pink Lily
50%

Species: Tulips
All red, yellow and white tulips listed in this chart are assumed to be from tulip seed bags unless stated otherwise, such as (Hybrid) offspring.

The following chart lists the basic combinations to obtain all tulip hybrids:

Red Tulip
Yellow Tulip
Orange Tulip
50%
Red Tulip
Red Tulip
Black Tulip
25%
Red Tulip
White Tulip
Pink Tulip
50%
Orange Tulip
Orange Tulip
Purple Tulip
Black Tulip
6.25%
18.75%

Species: Pansies
All red, yellow and white pansies listed in this chart are assumed to be from pansy seed bags unless staged otherwise, such as (Hybrid) offspring.

The following chart lists the basic combinations to obtain all pansy hybrids:

Red Pansy
Yellow Pansy
Orange Pansy
100%
White Pansy
White Pansy
Blue Pansy
25%
Red Pansy
Blue Pansy
Red Pansy (Hybrid)
100%
Red Pansy (Hybrid)
Red Pansy (Hybrid)
Purple Pansy
6.25%

Species: Chrysanthemums (Mums)
All red, yellow and white mums listed in this chart are assumed to be from mum seed bags unless stated otherwise, such as (Hybrid) offspring.

The following chart lists the basic combinations to obtain all mum hybrids:

Red Mum
White Mum
Pink Mum
100%
White Mum
White Mum
Purple Mum
25%
Red Mum
Yellow Mum
Yellow Mum (Hybrid)
100%
Yellow Mum (Hybrid)
Yellow Mum (Hybrid)
Green Mum
Purple Mum (Hybrid)
6.25%
25%
Purple Mum (Hybrid)
Purple Mum (Hybrid)
Green Mum
25%

Species: Hyacinths
All red, yellow and white hyacinths listed in this chart are assumed to be from hyacinth seed bags unless stated otherwise, such as (Hybrid) offspring.

The following chart lists the basic combinations to obtain all hyacinth hybrids:

Red Hyacinth
Yellow Hyacinth
Orange Hyacinth
50%
Red Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
Pink Hyacinth
50%
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
Blue Hyacinth
25%
Orange Hyacinth
Orange Hyacinth
Purple Hyacinth
Blue Hyacinth (Hybrid)
6.25%
12.5%
Blue Hyacinth (Hybrid)
Blue Hyacinth (Hybrid)
Purple Hyacinth
25%

Species: Windflowers
All red, orange and white windflowers listed in this chart are assumed to be from windflower seed bags unless stated otherwise, such as (Hybrid) offspring.

The following chart lists the basic combinations to obtain all windflower hybrids:

Red Windflower
Orange Windflower
Pink Windflower
100%
White Windflower
White Windflower
Blue Windflower
25%
Red Windflower
Blue Windflower
Red Windflower (Hybrid)
100%
Red Windflower (Hybrid)
Red Windflower (Hybrid)
Purple Windflower
6.25%

Species: Roses
All red, yellow and white roses listed in this chart are assumed to be from rose seed bags unless stated otherwise, such as (Hybrid) offspring.

The following char lists the basic combinations to obtain all rose hybrids, excluding blue roses:

Red Rose
Yellow Rose
Orange Rose
50%
Red Rose
Red Rose
Black Rose
Pink Rose
25%
25%
Red Rose
White Rose
Pink Rose
50%
White Rose
White Rose
Purple Rose
25%
Black Rose
Yellow Rose
Orange Rose
100%
Black Rose
Water Black Rose with a
Golden Watering Can*
Gold Rose
Has a chance to spawn near any Black Rose
watered by a Golden Watering Can

* Each black rose must be watered individually with a Golden Watering Can for the black rose to be eligible to spawn a gold rose the following day!

Blue Rose Section

Welcome to the blue rose section of the guide. This section of the guide will cover various methods of obtaining the highly desired blue rose.

Method #1 of obtaining Blue Roses:
All red, yellow and white roses listed in this chart are assumed to be from rose seed bags unless stated otherwise, such as (Hybrid) offspring.

This method is most suited for extremely patient people who do not want to work too hard for a blue rose.

StepFlower 1Flower 2ProductPercentage
White Rose
White Rose
Purple Rose
25%
Purple Rose
Red Rose
Red Rose (Hybrid1)
50%
Red Rose (Hybrid1)
Yellow Rose
Red Rose (Hybrid2)
25%
Red Rose (Hybrid2)
Red Rose (Hybrid2)
Blue Rose
1.56%

Note:
When you first obtain the hybrid red rose, start to duplicate it with hybrid cloning! The goal of this method is to produce as many hybrid red roses as possible.

Method #2 of obtaining Blue Roses:

I only recommend this method if you are incredibly patient and are able to plan things out well.

This method follows a very specific breeding path that will have gradually changing offspring to eventually have the genetics required to spawn blue roses at a much higher success rate.

Additionally, this method is credited to a friend off this site for playing around with how ACNH's genetics work and discovering this method. You know who you are.

StepFlower 1Flower 2ProductPercentage
Obtain all product
Keep them safe
for future use
White Rose
Red Rose
Yellow Rose
White Rose
Yellow Rose
White Rose
Purple Rose (1)
Orange Rose (1)
White Rose (Hybrid 1)
25%
50%
50%
Refer to table
below for testing
Purple Rose (1)
White Rose (Hybrid)
Purple Rose (Hybrid)
Purple Rose (1)
25%
25%
Purple Rose (Hybrid)
Purple Rose (Hybrid)
White Rose (Hybrid 2)
See below for notes 1
25%
White Rose (Hybrid 2)
Orange Rose (1)
Orange Rose (Hybrid)
See below for notes 3
25%
White Rose (Hybrid 2)
Orange Rose (Hybrid)
Red Rose (Hybrid)
See below for notes 2
25%
Red Rose (Hybrid)
Red Rose (Hybrid)
Blue Rose
25%

Notes:
1 -- IMPORTANT!!! Be careful not to lose this "special" hybrid white rose, or mix it up with the hybrid white rose from the previous steps. This "special" hybrid white rose contains genetics that can produce better "quality" offspring compared to the previous hybrid white rose.

As an example:
- Hybrid White Rose 1, using numbered genetics, has the genetics of 0110 (Red, Yellow, White, Shade).
- Hybrid White Rose 2, using numbered genetics, has the genetics of 0220 (Red, Yellow, White, Shade).
As you can see, White Rose 2 has genetics 1 higher than the first one. That makes it special.

2. -- I don't think I really need to mention this, but I figure I may as well for those who may be curious. This hybrid red rose is different from the hybrid red rose from the first method.

As an example, just like above:
- Hybrid Red Rose from Method 1, using numbered genetics, has the genetics of 1110 (Red, Yellow, White, Shade).
- Hybrid Red Rose from Method 2, using numbered genetics, has the genetics of 2110 (Red, Yellow, White, Shade).
The single increase in the Red genetics greatly increases the successful spawn rate of blue roses to 25%, compared to Method 1's 1.6% success rate.

3. -- The hybrid orange rose obtained in this step (step 4) has the same genetics as the ones found on hybrid flower islands for those who have roses as their native or sister flower. These hybrid orange roses have a 6.25% of spawning a blue rose.

The following table is for testing offspring from Step 2 from the table above:
The following test assumes that the yellow rose listed in this chart is assumed to be from a rose seed bag.

Flower 1Flower 2ProductPercentageTest Result
"Purple Rose (Hybrid)"
Yellow Rose
White Rose (Hybrid)
100%
FAIL
Discard this Purple Rose.

See below for notes
"Purple Rose (Hybrid)"
Yellow Rose
White Rose (Hybrid)
Yellow Rose (Hybrid)
50%
50%
SUCCESS (If Yellow)
This one's a keeper!
See below for notes
Notes:
-- Test each "hybrid" purple rose at least 3 to 5 times, depending how thorough you wish to be as the correct purple rose can still produce the product of a failed "hybrid" purple rose. If any test yields a Yellow Rose, you are good to go.
-- The products of this test do not have much use, so you may either keep them for decoration or discard them.

Last edited:
This took me far too long to make. Hope it's useful to some.

I had only purple pansy hybrids from my orange pansys, also I wonder if certain spots on the island are more fertile for hybrids?

This is false, there's no such thing as fertile spots.

Did you get the orange pansies from a hybrid island? Those have the genetics to produce Purple Pansies 25% of the time, as mentioned in my guide. It's also possible you got lucky in breeding hybrids and managed to get two Orange Pansies with the correct genetics to produce Purple Pansies.

Thank you! This is perfect timing because I just started windflowers recently. I started them all from seeds, so I've been having to wait a few days for them to grow up. I'm hoping to get my first hybrids from them tomorrow.

They were orange pansys bred from the yellow and red flower seeds I got at the start of the game kept separate from everything else.

They were orange pansys bred from the yellow and red flower seeds I got at the start of the game kept separate from everything else.

Then I believe you just got a bit lucky with the genetics tied to them.

Thank you! This is perfect timing because I just started windflowers recently. I started them all from seeds, so I've been having to wait a few days for them to grow up. I'm hoping to get my first hybrids from them tomorrow.
I have so many pink and blue wind flowers after it rains
Post automatically merged:

So once a flower is a dud can it not be used for any other breeding?

Last edited:
So once a flower is a dud can it not be used for any other breeding?

You can use it to breed more of the same colour, or other colours. Just note that its genetics may stop some combinations from working properly.

Anyways, I'm going to try to remember to bump this thread once daily. I highly recommend bookmarking this thread so you have easy access!

Awesome guide! This will help me a lot as I’m currently trying to get purple hybrids, as I haven’t gotten any so far of any flower.

Thanks for all the hard work you put into this guide(y)

Awesome guide! This will help me a lot as I’m currently trying to get purple hybrids, as I haven’t gotten any so far of any flower.

Thanks for all the hard work you put into this guide(y)

Dataminers did most of the hard work--I just spent far too many hours typing this up so it was in a more readable structure, and easily accessible.

Thank you for this thread! I was having trouble reading some of the steps in the datamined document. Definitely bookmarking this. ^^

Thank you for this thread! I was having trouble reading some of the steps in the datamined document. Definitely bookmarking this. ^^

That was one of my goals of this thread. I wanted something more easily accessible, and readable. The other goal was to stop misinformation being spread.

While I didn't cover EVERY little detail, this thread should at least cover 90% of it. The other 10% doesn't need to be completely known, and people are welcome to click the document link in the first post to learn the other 10%.

sweet guide! i haven’t done much hybrid breeding myself but i’ll definitely come back to this thread if i ever decide to give it a whirl c:

Back