• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What would you think about a "Back to Basics" AC game more like PG?

ztc0611

Purrl Fanatic
Bells
Switch
0785-9409-1398
What things would you want to return? What things from modern games would you want to stay?

I just want to community feel back. I liked kicking the balls you find at the dump around with the villagers. I want the fact that villagers can’t move out without your permission to stay. I like not having to worry about my favorite villagers leaving. A big thing I miss from New Leaf is Tortimer Island. Not sure why the feature was even removed.

I’d love that. I miss when you were a new neighbor trying to get by and fit in with the animal villagers. You didn’t have any more power than anyone else. Now they make you the ruler of the town, in charge of everything, and everyone loves you.

Make it less ‘customize EVERYTHING’ and more about the atmosphere. I agree with Croconaw about the community. Make Tortimor mayor again. Have villagers say rude remarks and insensitive observations. Bring back Resetti; Show that there are consequences to your actions. No crafting, no forced ‘wholesomeness’, and don’t let every little mistake be easily fixable. Most of all, release the game when it’s FINISHED. This isn’t a mobile game. The ‘updates’ didn’t keep me coming back for more, they made me feel dispirited and quit ACNH less than a year in. Even after the updates concluded, most of the core problems with the game were still present.

What I’m trying to say is… make Animal Crossing feel human again. Goals will be tough to reach, and things can go wrong, but you’ll still be able to make the most out of every day by appreciating what you have in front of you.

I generally just want the series to move forward and improve on issues that were present since the first game. To answer the OP, though:

I don't care about paint-jobs or things being taken away from my pockets. I also don't want villagers to just move out without even giving you a warning as the original game would often do, nor do I want the next game to do what New Horizons did concerning villagers moving out because it gives players less of an incentive to play the game when they can come back weeks or months later, and nothing changes. Flowers shouldn't be immortal, and you SHOULD be able to pick them up by the roots without a shovel, for goodness sake. Speaking of shovels — if they plan on making non-axe tools breakable, again, they really should give them visual wear, just as they did with the axe in previous games. Drop the "major role in the community" designation for the first player character, and just have that character be one of the many villagers of the village; if customization suffers because of it, I don't really care, because the only customization that should really matter is character creation.

I don't want Nintendo to go back and have this future installment do everything the older games did, because a lot of the things those games did were just as stupid as the game design decisions in NH, such as the force exchanges, the best shop upgrade being online gated, and freakin' Animal Tracks. I just want something closer to what the series was pre-New Leaf without leaning too much into any particular era. Tortimer DOESN'T need to be the Mayor, and we don't need yet ANOTHER town setting. We most DEFINITELY don't need Isabelle's face plastered into every game after NL.

Last edited:
Do you think animal tracks could work if it was more generous as to the speed of the damage and had a way to actively repair it instead of just having to wait?

Do you think animal tracks could work if it was more generous as to the speed of the damage and had a way to actively repair it instead of just having to wait?
No. It didn't work the second time they implemented this wretched mechanic, partly because Animal Crossing fails to explain its mechanics properly, and there's conflicting information on how it works in CF and NL. I just don't want it in any game. Period.

To some extent, I'd love to see this. Mainly because although there's a load of stuff I miss from newer installments, my ideal AC game's probably something that resembles the first one (and I honestly keep getting frustrated when it does parts of it, but never fully manages to do it properly). Arriving in a sleepy mountain valley town once more, werking for Nock, meeting a bunch of strange and quirky villagers, getting Chow's Switch back from Rudy (who lent it to Elise for some reason), winning a Mario trophy in the Nook store lottery, celebrating the cherry blossom festival under a big tree with a picnic and a glass of Definitely Not Alcohol, Honest Officer, shooting hoops in the autumn sports fair or having Mr. Resetti act as the groundhog on Groundhog Day... magical, imo.

But to another extent, "it's an Animal Crossing game that's pretty much the same as the original" isn't a solid hook for a new AC game on its own. There needs to be a new angle for the game on top of the stuff I just mentioned; because inasmuch as I feel continuing down the same NL/NH track is a bad idea because there's nowhere new left to go for "hey, customisation!", making a game that feels like a glorified remake with a load of new items and some QOL changes doesn't really justify going back in that direction, or making another game in the series for that matter. There's gotta be something tying it all together imo, whether that's something vaguely thematic like "living in the city sucks and will crush you down, live in the country with your friends instead!" like WW did, or something overarching like "you're the mayor" or "you're going on a deserted island getaway" like NL and NH did.

I think Nintendo should just release more of their catalog of classic games for Switch so we can play the original, tbh. - It's crazy how complicated things are with backwards compatibility and emulators and stuff these days. If hackers and homebrewers can do it, then the actual company should be able to give us a better effort. I've never really bought the "it's not possible" or "it would take too much effort" excuses. Like...you made the games. You should be able to code a decent emulator. I don't want them for free. I'll pay you for them, Nintendo. I dunno. Lol

I think Nintendo should just release more of their catalog of classic games for Switch so we can play the original, tbh.
Well, I mean, even if they did, it's highly doubtful they'd release any prior AC game on a console when there's already an AC game released on said system. The one exception was WW on Wii U, but the Wii U had a poorly-received spin-off, and part of me thinks that they ported the game to that system because of the painfully short-sighted decision to online-gate content in the original DS release.
I've never really bought the "it's not possible" or "it would take too much effort" excuses. Like...you made the games. You should be able to code a decent emulator. I don't want them for free. I'll pay you for them, Nintendo. I dunno. Lol
It's Nintendo. When was the last time they were logical about any of this?

I don't want crafting to leave, but not every item needs to be a craft item or a diy customization thing. I don't want villagers randomly moving out to come back. I would like a community town to come back. I would like for the main street thing to come back or be a part of the town. It gave it some liveliness.
I want Public Works Projects to come back but they need to be big unique touristy/scenic things that you can't just buy in a store or craft. They need to be limited on how many you can have. Pwp actually took time. I want bridges and fencing to stay and crops.
I do not want the nook miles system to ever come back.

Back