• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What is your opinion on HHD?

What is your opinion on Happy Homes Designer?

• It is a great game

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • It was a good/ok game

Votes: 20 57.1%
  • It was not a great game.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I hated it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Lavamaize

Bells
Baby Chick Easter Egg
Rotating Fool's Egg
Purple Balloon
Sweet Balloon
Sweet Balloon
Yellow Balloon
Perfect Apple
New Leaf Token
Perfect Cherry
Pink Balloon
Overall, I heard it is one of the most hated Animal Crossing games. I think this because it was a offshoot of the games when fans wanted a regular Animal Crossing. I am wondering what your guys opions are on the game.

I think it is a good/ok game. It is a bit repetitve, and I wish there was more to do with the houses you built, or you could build your own house.

Last edited:
I think it was a great game for what it was. definitely a lot of gameplay to dig into and spend some time on if of course you enjoy decorating houses. trying to decorate in new leaf or past games was kind of painful because of the space items took up and just lack of options and i think this game fixed that to some extent. and also you get to see lottie without makeup so its the full package.

the fact that it sold for the same price as new leaf is dumb though, because its literally a spinoff that has 100x less depth than that game

I'm kind of between "it was a good / ok game" and "it was not a great game" tbh. like i think i have maybe only about 4 hours into it, and it def isn't a game i see myself frequently playing like a regular animal crossing title, but i still had fun with it when I did pick it up, i guess? Still, I feel like every time I've played it, I've picked it up, designed only one house, and then I was content enough to quit or switch to a different game. I don't know. Maybe that's how it was meant to be played, but I'm not usually like that with games.

For what it was, though, I think it was about what was advertised, and it introduced some nice new features that will (hopefully) continue into future titles. I think it would've just been more interesting / popular if it had been like.... an expansion or DLC for NL, even though I know that'd probably never work. But maybe I would've enjoyed it even more if I'd been able to design my own villagers' homes, or give them lawns, or work for the HHD as a part time job just as a little side thing whenever I was already in my own town.

I liked it when I first got it cause I enjoyed unlocking new furniture and designing the shops in the main street but after I finished all the buildings and designed a huge bulk of the villager houses and started getting less and less new furniture I lost interest and stopped playing.

I picked it up again a while ago just for something different but I found I could only design a house for 10 minutes or so before getting bored and just putting whatever into the house just to get it over with

Well, i just played the game yesterday for some hours, and i actually liked it, maybe even better than Pocket Camp but of course worse than New Leaf. But i haven't played the whole game yet, so i might like the game less after spending more time in the game

I currently have 31 hours in it, do you can probably tell I really liked it! I honestly think pocket camp is worse, it's a free scam (but don't let me get too heated about it (>_<)

It set out to specialize in home, building, and even yard design, and it did it well. I only played for a few hours, but I never particularly disliked it. The thing that stood out to me most was Main Street. It was fun seeing the villagers in their day to day lives such as shopping, singing, or even having a job as a chef at a busy restaurant. It was something new that I don?t think we ever got to experience in New Leaf, and I?m certain I had more fun finding what the residents were up to than designing at all.

The only true complaint I have about the game is that you never got a house to furnish freely with no worries of a theme to stick to. I have no idea why that was not included.

If I was forced to play an AC spin-off, then I?d take this over amiibo Festival and Pocket Camp any day. HHD is the only one I feel like had heart put into it.

I think the most hated game is Amiibo Festival lol.

But anyways, I liked HHD. It's not one game you can binge though. You just design a room and then that's it, take a break.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I think the most hated game is Amiibo Festival lol.

But anyways, I liked HHD. It's not one game you can binge though. You just design a room and then that's it, take a break.

When I first got the game I spent a lot of time on it because I was just so excited to have the choice of everything rather than having to wait for everything. After a while I just thought it was so repetitive and I got really bored probably like 20 hours in.

It was a "ok" game for me. While it was fun at the beginning, it became kinda stale and boring later. I was able to unlock all shops and buildings within a short time and in general, it wasn't really a challenge to do the villager houses, especially since they never complained about anything. Like, you could gave them a almost empty house where you just put the items they want inside of it and they would still call it amazing. If you have at least a goal, like getting a rating out of 5 starts or something for your creation, then I guess it would be more fun to play it in my opinion. The lack of a own house for the player to decorate as well as the missing Streetpass function are another things that bothered me about Happy Home Designer. Overall, it was enjoyable to play, but not for a long time before I lost interest in it.

Last edited:
I bought the game when it first came out, I was really excited and I don?t think it was bad, it wasn?t too repetitive with themes but I do dislike the fact I made all the Main Street buildings look traditional and I haven?t felt like revamping any of them except the cafe. Although it?s annoying when there?s no houses you want to do for the villagers in Main Street, and even do some are too vague. I remember someone asking for a ?striped? theme house but there?s only like 3/4 pieces of striped furniture and I ended up changing my idea halfway three times and the interior was different from the exterior because I forgot to change it after changing my idea.

It was fun at first, but the thrill of designing homes wore off and I can't play it anymore without getting bored. Plus, if I want to design a house without sticking to a theme I have to go back and talk to the villagers after already designing their homes which is a total drag.

I love the game. I know a lot of people don't like it because it's not a "true" Animal Crossing game, but it's so adorable! I love the freedom of building, choosing who I build for, making community buildings, and more! I find that it's a really relaxing game, and I tend to play it when I need to feel a bit calmer, especially for sleeping.

Happy Home Designer is a great spin-off game. I'll never understand why so many people try to hold it to the standards of a mainline Animal Crossing game. New Leaf was released only a few years before HHD. No way should anyone have expected a new Animal Crossing in that time, unless you wanted another mediocre entry like City Folk.

Perhaps even better about HHD is the features/great improvements to old features that it brought that are being carried onto later titles. Like the fact that it standardized being able to use standard furniture outdoors. That feature has been carried onto NH and it will allow for an incredible amount of town creativity in NH that has never been seen before.

Last edited:
I loved it, honestly. But I had this phase of being really into it and then just dropping it out of nowhere and never coming back. I really want to pick it up again but idk I think I'm afraid of commitment or something. It's been like that for all my other games too. Wanna play them but idk if I can commit. Sighhhh it's frustrating. It's like playing games actually stresses me out now rather than helping me unwind from the real world. ;;

When I need to kick the decorating urge, it sure fills it.
I only play it then so I have not really had any gripe with it. For what it is, I enjoy it. :)

I thought it was good, but that it lacks the same depth that other Animal Crossing games are so well known for. It's definitely not the kind of game that keeps you playing consistently for years to come, but it is fun to come back to every now and then. As someone who enjoys designing houses I liked it.

I really enjoy it.

I really like this game! I play it to pass the time. I really like decorating houses personally, so I really liked this game. :D

It's a great game. I really like how you're able to meet every villager that has been in the animal crossing games. It really shows the variety of characters that I'm able to meet and enjoy. I love decorating the houses and being able to experiment with different furniture and stuff. I also like the other buildings you can decorate. I visit them during the night and just do whatever, haha.

It is different for everyone who plays this. I really enjoy it, but someone else may not, which is perfectly fine. We all have different tastes.

Back