What in your opinion is the cheapest a game should go for before you should buy it?

Variety.Gamer 4438

Always start again
Bells
Switch
3285-0551-5525
Mom's Plush
Jingle Christmas Doll
Isabelle
Lobo
January Birthstone (Garnet)
Of course, I realise there are first party and third party games, but I'm mostly focusing on the games you can't just get for free like DOTA or Rocket League. I'd honestly like to hear as many opinions on this as I can so any comment is welcome and you can let me know whether you like to always go for first party, third party, or a mix of both.

Thank you!

I've bought games for as low as £3 (Sleeping Dogs/Watch_Dogs). Granted SD was on sale digitally and WD was preowned but it's shockingly low for non-indie titles.
Or do you mean brand-new? If we're talking new releases, then imo there's a lot of variables to think about like publisher, console, etc. Here in the UK for example, Mass Effect (third party) is £54.99 in GAME, while RE VIllage is £59.99 (third party). Meanwhile I bought Ghost of Tsushima (first party) on release day for $49.99. Lmao it's all very expensive which is why I either wait for a price-drop or buy preowned. Imo it's not simply a case of 1st party vs 3rd party, it's more dependant on the publisher or developers.
The cheapest price I'd pay for a brand-new game would be around £25-£35 to support the devs who're often overworked and underpaid. Dunno how much of my money will actually go to them but it's something. I'm not paying £50-£60 for a game unless it's a title I know I'll enjoy, otherwise it's just too much.
And I always go third party since first party games rarely catch my interest regardless of platform. My PS4 library has about ~15 games and the only first-party exclusive I own is Tsushima lmao.

Last edited:
If I’m wanting a game bad enough, I will buy it on release day. What I think is screwed up is how you can sell a game to Gamestop for literally $3 and they will sell the game for $30. I understand they need to make money but this doesn’t really sit well with me. I never sell games to Gamestop unless I plan on not playing it again.

If I’m wanting a game bad enough, I will buy it on release day. What I think is screwed up is how you can sell a game to Gamestop for literally $3 and they will sell the game for $30. I understand they need to make money but this doesn’t really sit well with me. I never sell games to Gamestop unless I plan on not playing it again.

Pretty much just selling on ebay is the way to go. I've had Gamestop offer me like 25 cents for a first-party game. Granted it was an older game but still.

unless its something i really want to play, i usually wait till it goes on sale for atleast 50% off, steam has a lot of good sales throughout the year though and i've been able to grab some very good games for as much as 85% off

the only games that i’ve ever bought on their release date are new leaf, new horizons and i believe one of the style savvy games. i definitely prefer to buy first party games but am not opposed to third party ones. as for cost, unless it’s a game that i really want, i refuse to buy one for anything over $40.

It depends on the game and how bad I want it. Normally I'll wait for some sort of sale (even $20 off is good of a sale for games that are normally $80-$90!). I'll be more opt to buy a game that's around $30, even if not on sale.

Depnds on the game and genre. If there's actual content, with online support I may pay $60.

If it's a jrpg, probably $40 max, but will probably wait until $30.

Most switch games $40, and no more.

So, ya want cheap games, well let me tell you, in my small little town we have a fields retailer store, and in there you can buy some PS2 games for 2 bucks, now if we are being serious, on PC theres this game called wreckfest, you can smash and crash cars on a variety of tracks with realistic physics, however it's not overly Gorey (ie none at all minus ragdoll physics for drivers on lawn mowers) this game goes for 60$ with all dlc included, and like 35-40$ without, great graphics, excellent physics, and plenty of recognizable cars
Any way, there's a good game that's not to expensive
Post automatically merged:

This is cad by the way so people in us get it lower

I get like 3-4 Switch games per year, so I'll just get those when they are available to have something new to play. On PC I wait for amazing deals, I already own like 2000 games on Itchio and like 50 good games overall on all platforms. I really don't need PC games, but I try to get in on good deals.

I don’t really have a set price. If it’s a game I really want, I’m fine to pay MSRP. Most of the time, though, I’ll try to get gift cards from rewards sites or get them from Walmart where they’re cheaper to start with.

If I already know that I want a game, then I'll buy it at full price.

Of course, I always like to see it come down to $30...or $20, better yet.

That said, If I'm unsure whether I'll like a game or not, then it really needs to be $15 at the most. Anything lower than $15 is the sweet spot for me to take a risk on something that I might not end up enjoying. I think it's ridiculous that the used game market these days is sitting at highs of $45-50. For that price, most of those games are worth just buying new. Growing up, I would buy used games for less than $10 constantly. Blockbuster would have entire bins of preplayed games, and they would all be $10 or less. Man...what a time to be alive.

Now I live and die by Game Pass. Honestly, it's the best thing that has ever happened to gaming.

depends on the game. i usually only buy games i really want and think i'll get my money out of, which is likely why my switch catalogue is fairly small. yoshi's woolly world is the only switch game i bought on sale because while i enjoyed the demo and wanted to try it, i wasn't completely sold -- especially not for £60. if miitopia had been priced any higher than £40 (which is already pretty steep for a port imo), i might have tried to wait it out. most of the time though, i'm just too impatient to wait for a sale -- especially given that i tend to buy first party switch games and nintendo rarely seems to have sales in my experience.

I don't have any hard and fast price point. I'm generally fine paying full price for Nintendo first games or third party series I trust although that sometimes bites me in the butt (*cough*Pioneers of Olive Town*cough*). For new-to-me games/genres, I tend to buy physical used so I can get back some of my money if I don't like it. If they're digital only like on Steam, then I usually wait for a big sale. I don't really play enough games that paying full price will break my wallet so I tend to just buy when I want to play rather than chase sales.

It really depends what the game is offering and how much I want it.
I currently want to buy Splatoon 2, but I don't want it badly enough to pay tons of money for it, so I simply wait to get it for as cheap as possible. I'm stalking the market for it since a few weeks and saw it go as low as 20€, so that's the maximum I am willing to pay for it.

Back