• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What are your favorite RPGs for Switch?

The only RPGs I've enjoyed are the Pokemon games, Miitopia, and the Taiko no Tatsujin Rhythmic Adventure Pack.

I've been a Pokemon fan for a long time, and while I'd like to ramble on about why the games are awesome, I won't do that because this post would already be too long.

Miitopia is fun, and it has a pretty wicked sense of humor even though it can come off as juvenile sometimes.

I'll have to explain the Taiko no Tatsujin Rhythmic Adventure Pack. It's basically two 3DS games released in Japan bundled into one for the Switch. The gameplay has you drumming with the taiko to defeat and befriend monsters to use on your team, kind of like Pokemon. I've enjoyed the other TnT games, so it's no wonder why I really like this one.

I tried other RPGs like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and Zelda, but I lost interest after a bit. I think it has to do with their complexity and the fact that I don't like losing in RPG battles :p
Do you play Taiko with the proper drum controller? How does it compare vs some of the other Taiko games gameplay wise?

Do you play Taiko with the proper drum controller? How does it compare vs some of the other Taiko games gameplay wise?
I can't afford the Tatacon, so I just use the buttons. As for the gameplay, it does its job like the others. The only other Taiko games I have are Drum 'n Fun and Rhythm Festival, and they don't have any monster-catching elements, so there's a slight difference. I'm not good at comparing gameplay differences since I just play for the fun of it so sorry I'm not that detailed.

Dragon Quest XI S is an incredible game and the pinnacle of the entire series thus far, imo. It has a truly loveable cast of characters and a great story, both overall and in the individual vignettes, so much so that I got really into the nitty-gritty deep story/design analysis stuff for a good while. There's also plenty of sidequests, opportunities for grinding/collecting, and horse-racing and gambling mini-games! The graphics are gorgeous, especially in the cinematic cutscenes, but you can also play through the entire game with retro pixel graphics if you so desire. And if you like doing challenge runs, there's a good few Draconian Quests to give you as much or as little added difficulty as you like!
I also had a blast with Dragon Quest Builders, which combines their usual RPG elements with sandblox building and tower defense, with action-based combat instead of the standard turn-based. It also has a sequel that I've pretty much only heard good things about!
I've yet to play Dragon Quest Treasures or Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince, but I've played a lot of Dragon Quest games and never been let down before.

I'd also like to second the recommendation for the Rune Factory games on the Switch! They're a combination of action-based fantasy RPGs, farming/life sims, a bit of monster-collecting, and of course, a fishing minigame. Or, as I like to call it, "everything I could ever ask for in one game". The mechanics can get pretty deep (the forging/crafting is too complicated for me to fully understand if I'm being honest) and they also have lots of room for grinding, if that's your thing.
Rune Factory 5 admittedly runs poorly and has a few minor bugs, but there's something about the game that's just super comforting to me, and it's still my favorite of the series that I've played. Notably it has more relaxed pacing (in case you're like me and get stressed out by how short days can feel in farming sims, although this does mean that you can progress through the story a lot faster than normal as well) and is the first Rune Factory game with same-gender relationships! It also features more linear dungeons than in RF4, which I know some people missed, but was honestly a plus for me because it meant I didn't have to continually pause my game to squint at dungeon maps online. 😅 And I've still found plenty of little secret spots!
Rune Factory 4 Special is a very safe bet for newcomers to the series—it works smoothly and has the most content of the RF titles currently on the Switch, although romance events (and most other town events) in this game are random, so if the RNG doesn't like you, you might be waiting a while before you can romance your favorite character(s).
I'm only part of the way through with RF3 Special, but I'm enjoying it as well! However, unlike in RF4/RF5, you can only play as a male protagonist and romance bachelorettes, and the maps feel more straightforward as in RF5. Also unlike later titles, crops die at the start of new seasons. I found this out the hard way. orz

I can't afford the Tatacon, so I just use the buttons. As for the gameplay, it does its job like the others. The only other Taiko games I have are Drum 'n Fun and Rhythm Festival, and they don't have any monster-catching elements, so there's a slight difference. I'm not good at comparing gameplay differences since I just play for the fun of it so sorry I'm not that detailed.
I'm also hesitant to spend a lot for the drum controller. Is it still pretty fun with the normal controller?

I'm also hesitant to spend a lot for the drum controller.
I have the drum controller for Wii, PS2 and Switch. 🎮🥁 They've all been physically modified for performance, otherwise you gotta smack them incredibly hard. 😬 I've managed to get the Wii taiko drum work on the Switch before for two players, so if you have the Wii drum, you could get it to work on the Switch too. 💡

I have the drum controller for Wii, PS2 and Switch. 🎮🥁 They've all been physically modified for performance, otherwise you gotta smack them incredibly hard. 😬 I've managed to get the Wii taiko drum work on the Switch before for two players, so if you have the Wii drum, you could get it to work on the Switch too. 💡
Never knew this was possible. How difficult/risky is the modification to make the wii drum work on switch? Have a good guide on how to do it?

Never knew this was possible. How difficult/risky is the modification to make the wii drum work on switch? Have a good guide on how to do it?
It's been a while, but essentially you're just cracking those puppies open with a screwdriver and your fingernails. 💪😤 Afterwards, you'll want to fill in the hollow inside of the drum, primarily where the DON and KA contacts are, with something to better bridge the gap between the plasic drum and the contact wiring thingies. Some people suggest clay/putty 💩 some people use cork, some people use tissues. It depends what you can/want to do. 🤷‍♀️ You'll just have to search around on YouTube or something. You might get tutorials in Japanese, but don't be frightened. ❌😱💦🩲 Just follow the visuals and remember science! 💡 Hitting the drum causes reverberations and the more hollow the drum is, the further those reverberations have to travel before they reach the wired contacts inside there and consequently are weakened by the time they do, resulting in "missed hits" and unresponsiveness. 😃 If you wanna take science one step further, maybe fill it with cement! I haven't seen that yet and I wonder what would happen... 🤔

It's been a while, but essentially you're just cracking those puppies open with a screwdriver and your fingernails. 💪😤 Afterwards, you'll want to fill in the hollow inside of the drum, primarily where the DON and KA contacts are, with something to better bridge the gap between the plasic drum and the contact wiring thingies. Some people suggest clay/putty 💩 some people use cork, some people use tissues. It depends what you can/want to do. 🤷‍♀️ You'll just have to search around on YouTube or something. You might get tutorials in Japanese, but don't be frightened. ❌😱💦🩲 Just follow the visuals and remember science! 💡 Hitting the drum causes reverberations and the more hollow the drum is, the further those reverberations have to travel before they reach the wired contacts inside there and consequently are weakened by the time they do, resulting in "missed hits" and unresponsiveness. 😃 If you wanna take science one step further, maybe fill it with cement! I haven't seen that yet and I wonder what would happen... 🤔
never even heard of this, but love the creativity of people on stuff like this!

I'm a big fan or Dragon Quest. Before that, I was into Final Fantasy until I felt it got weird. DQ still has that retro old school challenge to it which I really like.

It's the only series that I know of that retained its iconic theme song since the beginning.

Back