• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Villagers as home decorators

purple Satori

Bells
After playing this game for a little over 13 months I noticed that villagers give very bad gifts that according to them would look "perfect" in your house.

Once I got a letter saying their gift would go well with my design and it was a trash can.

This got me to thinking what would happen if I were to decorate a house only using items received from villagers that have been over to my home.

This is Sophie
old 3ds picture (181).JPG

the rules are simple:
1)when I start a new room I can pick a wallpaper and carpet (the default are boring, however the starting wallpaper or carpet must be replaced if a villager gives wallpaper or carpet as a gift.

2) when a villager comes to my house to visit I must use whatever I get from them in the mail the next day no matter what it is.

2a) If I get a second wallpaper or carpet as a gift then the choice is mine

2b) anything got any other way can not be used to decorate the house

2c) moving furniture is OK as long as it stays in the same room. [Since rooms expand twice not being able to move an item after placing it would not make any sense]

3) when the room seems full, make it bigger. Once a full-sized room is full it is complete and the process starts again in another room

I've been working on this in my side town for about a month now and it's so much fun I've been playing for hours just to see what Sophie will get next.

Here's the home so far

main room
old 3ds picture (204).JPGold 3ds picture (205).JPGold 3ds picture (206).JPGold 3ds picture (207).JPG

2nd floor
old 3ds picture (208).JPGold 3ds picture (209).JPGold 3ds picture (210).JPG

the weirdest part so far was when Sprinkle gave me the men's toilet saying it would be perfect for my house, then she was the next villager to visit and the first thing she does when she got to the second floor was to ask why I had a men's toilet in my house.

Last edited:
This is such a fun idea! I still have one room left that I don't know what to do with, so I'm definitely going to do this challenge when I pick up my game again.

Your main room actually looks kinda cute! I'm guessing it's a coincidence that they gave you two pieces of several items? I see two robo lamps, two green chairs, two red chairs, two picnic tables..

Looking forward to updates on your house!

Aw, this sounds like so much fun! If I had a side town, I would definitely try this too. I'm also gonna be checking back for updates. :)

thanks, I like the way the main room turned out. At first it was a little annoying to get two of the same thing so many times, also getting seven chairs was not something I was too happy about though I think I did a good job making it work.
Not knowing what the next piece of furniture is going to be keeps it fun.

Though the best thing I got was the wallpaper as it allowed me to replace the one Freya gave me as seen in this older picture

old 3ds picture (109).JPG

speeking of Freya she seemed a little confused about a small one room house, not sure why
old 3ds picture (95).JPG
also that metronome in the picture was the first gift Sophie got :cool:

before going to bed I expanded the 2nd floor and got a vacuum cleaner from Mallary
old 3ds picture (212).JPG

Last edited:
That's a really cool idea, I might try it out too. Your room is looking pretty good right now so far.

What an awesome idea! Thanks for sharing it with us :)

I'm loving your randomly-outfitted rooms so far! ;)

Haha! I wanted to this a while ago, and did for a little bit with my basement... but the OCD tookover and I gave up. xD
Will be awesome to see how yours turns out.

well after spending the day getting a villager ready to move to my sister's town tomorrow I found getting people to visit Sophie's house was way easier then getting said villager to leave. I was able to get an amazing 6 new items :cool:

old 3ds picture (223).JPG

Got a 2nd barber's pole and an odd clock, not sure how that thing works as a clock though.

old 3ds picture (225).JPG

as well as a lucky cat, some chip or game piece, a big drum and whatever that thing next to the lamp is.

Well this is pretty interesting. I never use the garbage they send me in the mail.
I'll be sure to check this thread and watch the progress.

It would interesting as they all have different taste to see if items taken or received from just one animal made a good room, but I see how this is faster.

got new wallpaper and carpet.
old 3ds picture (233).JPG

also got a washer/dryer and an ironing board. Now Sophie can clean her clothes which means Sophie no longer has to buy a new outfit ever time her current outfit gets dirty :p
old 3ds picture (242).JPG

Now if one of Sophie's neighbors can realize she has no storage device everything will be perfect.

Also does anyone know how I can convince Katt (move in from my sister's town) to get rid of her sea bass. I have the worst luck with this kind of stuff.

This is a neat idea! I may try this with either Charlie or Jesse's house once they get extra rooms!

I love seeing your SS's, Sophie!

I cringed at the idea at first but now you got me. Next room that goes on my house is gonna be decorated this way

Back