Using your own designs or other people's QR codes?

UglyMonsterFace

Arize from Azulon
Bells
Pearl-Oyster Shell Plush
Pink Moon Jellyfish
Blue Moon Jellyfish
Green Moon Jellyfish
Pearl-Oyster Shell Plush
Dino Plush
Bee Plush
Mom's Plush
Sheep Plush
Celeste Chick Plush
I have never used anyone else's designs in my town cuz it feels wrong to me that someone else had a hand in the look of my town. So I've always used my own designs. However, I am not an artist so my designs aren't very nice or very basic. I know that my town would be prettier if I used what other people have created but I just can't bring myself to share the credit for my town with someone else. But either way, it makes me happy and satisfied knowing I made everything you'll see in my town. I just wish I was as talented as those amazing creators are! Lol. Does anyone else feel this way?

I have always been under the impression that users who post a lot of their QR codes are happy to have other people use them and invorperate them into their towns.

I have always been under the impression that users who post a lot of their QR codes are happy to have other people use them and invorperate them into their towns.

Oh yeah, I'm sure they are. That wasn't what I meant. I know that if they posted it, they don't have a problem with others using them. It's just that I don't want to use someone else's work because it feels wrong to ME in the sense that i didn't make it. I want my town to be 100% mine. Including the patterns. I want to feel i like created everything and no one else will have the same designs as me or I as them. That's just how I play. So I'll sacrifice my town's potential beauty just for the satisfaction of being the only creator in my town. If that makes sense? Hehe

Oh yeah, I'm sure they are. That wasn't what I meant. I know that if they posted it, they don't have a problem with others using them. It's just that I don't want to use someone else's work because it feels wrong to ME in the sense that i didn't make it. I want my town to be 100% mine. Including the patterns. I want to feel i like created everything and no one else will have the same designs as me or I as them. That's just how I play. So I'll sacrifice my town's potential beauty just for the satisfaction of being the only creator in my town. If that makes sense? Hehe

Oh yeah, i guess I didn’t look at it that way. I do see a LOT of towns with the same QR paths, so I get that! I have a similar thing where I want something to be exactly the way I want it and theres no way anyone else has made that (like my mayor’s outfit rn), so I spend hours upon hours making the QR code until I’m satisfied with it, haha. I do have some people’s qr “pixel art” displayed on the walls in my home, but I’m not sure that’s the same thing. I’m assuming that you’re mostly referring to paths?

I used to get qr codes for clothes online but ever since I've learned how to make my own I've started using just those? To show off my hard work :') but i like looking at other people's qr codes for inspiration. Since i don't know how to make paths yet I'm using stuff i found online. I don't really mind using someone else's work to make my town pretty but i think it's really cool that you want to make your town beautiful with your efforts only! I think it's great that you have something that's 100% yours that you can be proud of!!

Oh yeah, i guess I didn’t look at it that way. I do see a LOT of towns with the same QR paths, so I get that! I have a similar thing where I want something to be exactly the way I want it and theres no way anyone else has made that (like my mayor’s outfit rn), so I spend hours upon hours making the QR code until I’m satisfied with it, haha. I do have some people’s qr “pixel art” displayed on the walls in my home, but I’m not sure that’s the same thing. I’m assuming that you’re mostly referring to paths?

Yes, paths but also outfits :) the outfits I make are simple and not super creative but I really like that I made them myself. Sure, no one's gonna be wowed by them, except for me lol. And that's ok.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I used to get qr codes for clothes online but ever since I've learned how to make my own I've started using just those? To show off my hard work :') but i like looking at other people's qr codes for inspiration. Since i don't know how to make paths yet I'm using stuff i found online. I don't really mind using someone else's work to make my town pretty but i think it's really cool that you want to make your town beautiful with your efforts only! I think it's great that you have something that's 100% yours that you can be proud of!!

Thank you ^_^ although not to say people who use other people's designs aren't making something 100% theirs. I love seeing other people's towns and it's always lovely whether it's their patterns or not. It's just this feeling I have for myself. :) also it really is fun (and frustrating) to make patterns! I got addicted to it for a while lol. With my paths, I just do simple designs like repeating bricks so it isnt complicated to connect them all :) I definitely think everyone should try it to see if they enjoy it, even if they never end up using what they've made.

I use my own designs, though it's been at least two years since I've made a new one. Yeah, there are basic designs here and there but think of it as one step closer to getting better at designing. :)

I kind of do a mix to be honest! Some of the things in my house have custom patterns I made myself, but most outfits my characters wear are from QR codes, I'm still learning how to pixel on this game since it's not the same as on a computer so I'm not entirely confident with my skill in pattern/clothes making just yet!

For me... I rather use other people's design than using my own designs. Pretty inept when it comes to designing my own stuff. I tried following tutorials when attempting to make my own designs; however, they pretty much always look bad and I got discourage to make my own designs. The best thing I made in ANCL is a Rainbow Shirt, but I only made the design for my villagers since they were always were wearing ugly shirts. That's what motivated me to make my own shirt design in Animal Crossing New Leaf. So... I guess I majority use other people's QR designs and minority use my own design. Maybe I might attempt to try making my own pathes for my town and clothes for my characters some day.

Last edited:
I wish that I could make my own QR codes, but unfortunately I'm really, really bad at any form of art. I just wouldn't be happy with my town if I tried to use my own designs, so I always look online first and try to find something I like. The kimono that my mayor wears, all of the path QRs on the ground, and the sakura blossom pattern I use on some of the cushions in my mayor's home all came from other people.

I have only attempted my own designs when I searched and searched for days, but couldn't find what I was looking for. My town flag and a simple black/red/gold pattern I used on a cushion are the only designs I made myself and I feel like they pale in comparison to everything else in my town. But at the same time, I'm oddly proud of them and all the work I put into them even though I don't think they're very good.

By the way, I visited Azulon and one of the things that stood out to me was your paths. I think they're very nice and just as good as the ones you can find online. I wouldn't call them basic at all, especially not the water designs.

I would like to use my own designs too, but like others said I?m really terrible at creating my own designs :( I try to use designs that I find people shared on the internet themselves and are okay with people using them. I think it?s okay that we use them, as long as we know it was used with their permission (I think most uploaded are) - some really like that their design is getting spread around and used!

I can only make very basic designs. I mostly use ones I find that people have shared online.

I wish I was better at making my own designs, but I'm not an artsy person in general.

I tried to make my own designs but they turned out horrible even with guides so I gave up and just use QR codes made by others xD

The only QR pattern I always use that’s available online is that copper storm drain. I do enjoy making floor paths and clothes myself though.

I wish that I could make my own QR codes, but unfortunately I'm really, really bad at any form of art. I just wouldn't be happy with my town if I tried to use my own designs, so I always look online first and try to find something I like. The kimono that my mayor wears, all of the path QRs on the ground, and the sakura blossom pattern I use on some of the cushions in my mayor's home all came from other people.

I have only attempted my own designs when I searched and searched for days, but couldn't find what I was looking for. My town flag and a simple black/red/gold pattern I used on a cushion are the only designs I made myself and I feel like they pale in comparison to everything else in my town. But at the same time, I'm oddly proud of them and all the work I put into them even though I don't think they're very good.

By the way, I visited Azulon and one of the things that stood out to me was your paths. I think they're very nice and just as good as the ones you can find online. I wouldn't call them basic at all, especially not the water designs.

Omg that means sooo much to me that my paths actually stood out.. I mean, I love them when I look at them just because I know I made them, but I never thought they'd actually "stand out" to anyone else. And actually, the water design I made is the one I'm least proud of hehe.. Just because I've seen what other people could do and it honestly looks terrible up close (imo). But I think peeping out from behind trees or buildings, it looks pretty okay ^_^ I'm still proud of it lol. But thank you so much for being so kind about them :D

Also, I did visit your town as well! I really LOVED your landscaping. And you've chosen great paths. I honestly love stepping stone paths and I've tried to make my own and have always failed lol. Whenever I get tempted to use someone else's design, it's always with stepping stones and water designs LOL. Your town is a perfect example of why stepping stones are so great. It keeps the town looking natural and yet has distinct paths that still show the beautiful green grass underneath.

I think that if you wished you could make some QR codes, you should try! I made A LOT of awful ones before making the ones I'm currently using :) Here's an example of an old path of mine [url]http://imgur.com/a/oRn83[/URL] from pictures of a person who hilariously roasted my town in it's earlier stages. I think that if you tried to make something just for fun, you might actually end up liking something you make eventually ^_^ That's how it happened for me. I hated everything I made until I made the current ones. And I have not been able to make anything new that pleased me so I guess I was lucky with those designs hehe. Of course, you don't have to make your own, but if you wanted to, you should try even though you *think* you'd be terrible. Don't let it hold you back! You don't even have to use the paths ever. But doing it could help you improve <3

I mostly use other peoples' creations for the sake of time. If I cannot find what I am looking for, I will just make it myself.

Omg that means sooo much to me that my paths actually stood out.. I mean, I love them when I look at them just because I know I made them, but I never thought they'd actually "stand out" to anyone else. And actually, the water design I made is the one I'm least proud of hehe.. Just because I've seen what other people could do and it honestly looks terrible up close (imo). But I think peeping out from behind trees or buildings, it looks pretty okay ^_^ I'm still proud of it lol. But thank you so much for being so kind about them :D

Also, I did visit your town as well! I really LOVED your landscaping. And you've chosen great paths. I honestly love stepping stone paths and I've tried to make my own and have always failed lol. Whenever I get tempted to use someone else's design, it's always with stepping stones and water designs LOL. Your town is a perfect example of why stepping stones are so great. It keeps the town looking natural and yet has distinct paths that still show the beautiful green grass underneath.

I think that if you wished you could make some QR codes, you should try! I made A LOT of awful ones before making the ones I'm currently using :) Here's an example of an old path of mine [url]http://imgur.com/a/oRn83[/URL] from pictures of a person who hilariously roasted my town in it's earlier stages. I think that if you tried to make something just for fun, you might actually end up liking something you make eventually ^_^ That's how it happened for me. I hated everything I made until I made the current ones. And I have not been able to make anything new that pleased me so I guess I was lucky with those designs hehe. Of course, you don't have to make your own, but if you wanted to, you should try even though you *think* you'd be terrible. Don't let it hold you back! You don't even have to use the paths ever. But doing it could help you improve <3

Oh, thank you so much! That means so much to me. I did spend a lot of time trying to select the perfect paths for my town. I tried a few that just did not work before finally settling on the ones I used.

I will continue to practice making pixel art whenever I get the time and feel up for, because you're right. I do feel like each time I try, I learn something new or get a little better. I spent about a week (maybe 30 mins a night) working on what I thought would be a simple wallpaper design for my alt's upstairs bedroom. In the end, I didn't like it and scrapped the idea, but I still felt like I learned a few things just from attempting it. I'll keep trying and maybe one day I'll get there.

I do both
In Town Lazy:
I have made a shirt design that i still wear sometimes and now Stinky is wearing it now.
it's like a sport jersey (makes sense since Stinky is Jock)
I use some QR codes from other people too!
My sis made a rainbow flag for Town Lazy

I'm not strict about it. I like making path myself, but when I see cool path and if I want it to have some different color tone etc. I usually ask to the creator if it's okay to make something similar based on theirs and if they say yes I'd make one myself looking at their work.
But I see what you mean. One of my best friend was saying the same thing afew days ago, when they visited my town and complimented the path I made. I told them it's displayed in my Able sisters so they could have it. Then they said they'd rather not 'cause they feel it's for my own town and feel it wrong to use it for theirs, when they know it's someone's work for their towns.

Back