This makes me really sad...

DSFAN121

Bells
Like I said before, I've heard a lot of negative things about The Bell Tree on the other forums I've gone to, from former members, from current members, from people who just checked out the place and soon left, heck, even from staff members (I will not give any names). I'm not the type who just goes by other people's word, so finally I decided to check TBT out for myself, and see if all the rumors were true. I'm sorry, but this place is worse than what I heard about it. While it is larger than any of my other forums with the exception of NF, it is by far in the worst state of any of them. It's a real shame the way this place has turned out.

One of the things I don't like is the constant spamming. Topics such as this are frequently posted for absolutely no reason at all. Also, old topics are bumped for no reason, an example would be this. I mean, as you can see, these were locked, but are the staff doing anything about the members who are spamming? No. This gives the spammers a sign that it's perfectly okay to post this kind of stuff. I don't know if the staff is warning anyone, but obviously, if they are, simply warning is not enough. There needs to be some suspensions, even bans if the members continue to spam.

The same exact concept applies for members being immature and flaming other members. But before I get into that, I just want to let you know there's a difference between hazing, doing hurtful and upsetting things to others as an "initiation into a group" or to isolate them, and giving petty little insults random people on an internet forum who they'll never meet. The fact that it is considered "hazing" here makes me feel quite giddy inside. I mean, I'm not saying the staff is overreacting or anything, but getting flamed by immature little kids on an internet site is definitely not hazing.

Now, on with flaming. Members here are constantly saying stupid little insults to each other. I don't know why; maybe it makes them feel cool inside or whatnot. While it is not hazing, as I said, it is definitely not a pleasant thing to see, and definitely not what people come here for. People are just randomly attacking each other, such as when I was flamed for absolutely no reason on this thread. I mean, sometimes the people have an actual reason to be mad at others. No offense sunate, but you're a prime example here. Sunate bumps many topics here, posting random comments that are spam. An example is shown in the second link on the second paragraph. I mean, sure, he's breaking rules, but that doesn't mean other members have to jump in and start treating him awful. Like with spamming, the staff locks the topics and maybe warns them as well, but gives no suspensions/bans. So the members figure, if you can flame others and get away with it, why not do it as much as possible?

My point is that the staff of TBT needs to step it up and do more about the spamming/flaming problem. The forum will collapse if you guys don't. It will collapse because I have talked with many of the intelligent members still left here (again, I won't give names), and we have agreed that we will leave if nothing is done. That would just leave TBT with the n00bs who spam and flame.

If you lock or delete this post, that is proof that you guys want to pretend there's no problems, and you won't do a thing about it. If that happens, and you do nothing, I will never come here again. *waits for the flamers' chorus of "liekyay!!11!1 that's what we were aiming for!11! etc."* I do not want it to come to that, as this used to be a really fun place to hang out, and one of my favorite forums period, hence why I wrote this. But I have better things to do than to come to a forum full of spammers and flamers.

Since Koehler just said it anyway, I will let you know he is among the people I mentioned who will leave.

I'm going to try for a serious response.

Storm and the staff is definitely working on banning and warning as of late, with ACCF coming out tolerance of spamming/flaming has severely dropped. Also, there have been several lengthy bans put in place while and before you arrived here.

Calling it hazing would have started with OddCrazyMe, who I believe used it incorrectly at one point. Sunate, yeah, he's a problem. Also, TBT, like many other forums, has a board for spam and ours just gets out of hand sometimes, especially during the summer.

And yeah, I believe that's what quite a few people were aiming for. TBT is, and someone said this earlier, GAF but 7000 times smaller in that it's pretty exclusive. Exclusive as in if the members of TBT don't like someone, they won't accept him/her.

sunate said:
":gyroidmad: ........Im *CEN-3.0-SORD*ing tired of getting ridiculed every time I come here!!! even by DSfan for who I stood up for and ddint even flame!! man wtf Im gone from this *CEN-2.0-SORD* hole *peace*"
Maybe there is a reason you are "flamed" so much?

Thanks mom.

You're really in no place to tell us what to do. Suggestions, great, I don't care. I'd rather have an empty "broken" forum than one full of idiots repeating the same mindless topics from here to infinity. This place is different from everywhere you've been because we're an actual community. We have fights, we have the different levels of any citizenship, but we also have unity, it's unity in discourse, we're like an exclusive club everyone is allowed to join, but only few can stay. We won't fight tooth an nail for new members, we'll fight tooth and nail for good members, people who are actually worth keeping around. While that may sound strange and/or foreign to you, that's what we are, like it or leave it. This place would break any other way.

Before you all start coming out with your replys about how you may beable to put th eblame off on some one else and try to say you didnt have anything to do with this stop. stop and think about what the hell you have been doing. Own up to what the *CEN-3.0-SORD* you have been doing. I know you all say im a problom...well my friend when you point a finger at me you got 4 more pointing right back at you. We all had something to do with tbts down fall think about it.

[quote="Shadow_]I'm going to try for a serious response.

Storm and the staff is definitely working on banning and warning as of late, with ACCF coming out tolerance of spamming/flaming has severely dropped. Also, there have been several lengthy bans put in place while and before you arrived here.

Calling it hazing would have started with OddCrazyMe, who I believe used it incorrectly at one point. Sunate, yeah, he's a problem. Also, TBT, like many other forums, has a board for spam and ours just gets out of hand sometimes, especially during the summer.

And yeah, I believe that's what quite a few people were aiming for. TBT is, and someone said this earlier, GAF but 7000 times smaller in that it's pretty exclusive. Exclusive as in if the members of TBT don't like someone, they won't accept him/her.[/quote]Is it even possible for a new member to be liked here? When is the last time the community even tried to accept a new member?

Dang, my computer's batteries are dead. I'll be back on later.

I know there have been bans, but still not enough

Yeah, but I don't see any problems with it in any other board.

And yeah, I believe that's what quite a few people were aiming for. TBT is, and someone said this earlier, GAF but 7000 times smaller in that it's pretty exclusive. Exclusive as in if the members of TBT don't like someone, they won't accept him/her.
Which is a major problem. I run TNZ, and everyone is accepted there. A lot of people who go to both therefore say TNZ is better. Everyone SHOULD be accepted at every forum.

@ sunate: remember I said still no one had a right to flame you.

sunate said:
Before you all start coming out with your replys about how you may beable to put th eblame off on some one else and try to say you didnt have anything to do with this stop. stop and think about what the hell you have been doing. Own up to what the *CEN-3.0-SORD* you have been doing. I know you all say im a problom...well my friend when you point a finger at me you got 4 more pointing right back at you. We all had something to do with tbts down fall think about it.
Honestly to me it looks like you are trying to get people banned on purpose.

Also, I would love to see what I had to do with this.

DSFAN121 said:
Which is a major problem. I run TNZ, and everyone is accepted there. A lot of people who go to both therefore say TNZ is better. Everyone SHOULD be accepted at every forum.
People SHOULD be accepted into all groups in real life, too, but that's not how it works.

Shadow_][quote="DSFAN121 said:
People SHOULD be accepted into all groups in real life, too, but that's not how it works.[/quote]Yeah, but forums should be a place where anyone can go, as long as they're not douchebags who spam and flame. I'm a huge forum junkie, and this is the only forum I've ever seen where, as you say, "hazing" occurs.

Koehler said:
[quote="Shadow_]I'm going to try for a serious response.

Is it even possible for a new member to be liked here? When is the last time the community even tried to accept a new member?

Dang, my computer's batteries are dead. I'll be back on later.[/quote]I accept everyone here until they show me reason not to... I take into account that not everyone is perfect, but come on, you can at least learn how to spell... it isn't that difficult, especially with firefox, it has spell check and if you're too lazy to use that why even bother replying to anything? I'm no grammar Nazi, I know I'm not perfect myself, but I shouldn't have to be playing scrabble every time you reply to something.

I judge people mostly on attitude, if they come here all high and mighty like they're something amazing I should just thrust myself at sexually, I'm going to write them off... Why should I put up with that? I don't care enough. Nah, If you come in here all chilled acting like any decent person would, then I'll accept you... if you have something to say, if you can be a person to me, not a computer, then I'll let you stay, and I'll make sure everyone else knows I want you to stay.

I'm here for the people, not their machines.

DSFAN121 said:
People SHOULD be accepted into all groups in real life, too, but that's not how it works.
Yeah, but forums should be a place where anyone can go, as long as they're not douchebags who spam and flame. I'm a huge forum junkie, and this is the only forum I've ever seen where, as you say, "hazing" occurs.[/quote]You can define what forums should be all you want, but that won't change the fact that if people don't like someone, they're not going to accept them. Not here, not in real life. Bans and warns won't change how people behave towards one another. And "hazing" was taken as a synonym for flaming here - good luck finding a forum where there's no flaming.

Yeah, but forums should be a place where anyone can go, as long as they're not douchebags who spam and flame. I'm a huge forum junkie, and this is the only forum I've ever seen where, as you say, "hazing" occurs.[/quote]You can define what forums should be all you want, but that won't change the fact that if people don't like someone, they're not going to accept them. Not here, not in real life. Bans and warns won't change how people behave towards one another. And "hazing" was taken as a synonym for flaming here - good luck finding a forum where there's no flaming.[/quote]Umm...TNZ, the forum that I run? NF too?

Like I said, this is the only forum I've ever seen that acts in this...queer...way.

DSFan, you started it with the Mino comment. There was not anger against you until you said that.

And Sunate largely got it from the Gamecube thread, I think.

I agree with you on the hazing front, however. It's impossible to flame a member that joined before you.

I'd also add that this topic brings up the flaw is str0m's warning strategy: No one knows when another person is punished. It's stupid. Do you want to play Gastapo?

And promoting your own forum just makes me not like you more. And I actually welcomed you with open arms until the Mino comment.

@Koehler: Shepard's a new member, and I like him, and I hope he stays.
<div class="queued">This post is awaiting moderation. Approve Post</div>

DSFAN121 said:
Quoting limited to 5 levels deep
Yeah, but forums should be a place where anyone can go, as long as they're not douchebags who spam and flame. I'm a huge forum junkie, and this is the only forum I've ever seen where, as you say, "hazing" occurs.
You can define what forums should be all you want, but that won't change the fact that if people don't like someone, they're not going to accept them. Not here, not in real life. Bans and warns won't change how people behave towards one another. And "hazing" was taken as a synonym for flaming here - good luck finding a forum where there's no flaming.[/quote]Umm...TNZ, the forum that I run? NF too?

Like I said, this is the only forum I've ever seen that acts in this...queer...way.[/quote]I won't try and dispute that there's no flaming going on at those forums, I've never bothered to go there.

Also, insulting and provoking a forum, and generalizing its members, is a pretty "queer" way to act to me.

Back