• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

This can't be happening...

Why does this game seem to corrupt so much? Like every three days I hear about this happening to someone!
It's making me paranoid to even turn on my 3DS. Does this sort of thing happen to other games?

Wow. I'm sorry. If you need any help with fruits n stuff don't be afraid to PM me.

Is there a specific moment when you exited? Like where you entering a room or something like that?

this actually kinda makes me scared now
how am i going to do the reset trick

ive gotten a few of my dreamies already and have my house done and i would be really upset if that all went down the drain

im sorry
if you need anything ill be willing to help!

You can't make data backups on NL. I'm so sorry, I hope you can re-build your town!

You can make backups with the digital copy by copying the data onto a computer, but it must be done after you've finished playing. Every single time you've finished playing, backup. As soon as the game is started up again, the backedup data is no longer good.
My Japanese town has a tendency to corrupt and the backedup data has saved it once before (but not on two other occasions; that was before I knew how to backup the data).

I feel for your loss of all that time and effort you have put in to the game. I hope that you will find that people are helpful and willing to give to people who have lost here on these forums! I bet in no time you will have your new town in top shape.

Thanks for all your kind words everyone. I don't expect anyone to go out of their way to help me, This was a thread to vent and to warn about going to the home menu and ending the game without saving. I'll definitely wont be doing that anymore. ; n ;

Also, To answer some questions : I was playing from a cartridge-I exited and quit the game at the end of my conversation with Gizzly.

The thing that really made me sad was that I lost my Dreamies. v n v Marshal and Marina in particular... Marshal was my first camper ever. ; n ;

- - - Post Merge - - -

OMG guys! I got Fang back <33 (And Bam, Who I was going to trade for Beau!!) ; u ;
What are the chances of that? I feel a bit better. :')

Well I rarely save my game, I just leave it in sleep mode when I'm done (ACNL is the only game I play) and I go to the home menu to do other things whenever I want// If I'm doing the reset trick, and I will continue doing this lol. But that sucks

I didn't know your file can corrupt just from going to the menu... I would literally die. I always go back to the home screen to add people or close my DS for long periods with the game running behind the home screen or just on... I should be more careful. I'm sorry to hear this has happened ;_;

Let me know if you'd liek anything. Sets tools fruits. Anything.

Don't worry about the request, I'm wealthy enough to where idgaf. Just shoot me a pm.

Last edited:
Hmm... Not sure if the frequent HOME Menu accesses while ACNL is running are the root of the saved data corruption. It doesn't even matter if your copy is physical or digital.

The thing is, it's extremely difficult to accurately pinpoint what actually causes the data to corrupt. The game itself is so poorly coded that the corrupting can randomly occurs at any given moment, as a sizeable amount of reports over the Internet suggested. It seems like that some 3DS systems are more prone of that problem than the others, as my experience with my vanilla JPN 3DS evidenced a lot. It crashed enough times to tell that my old 3DS is kinda defective (other games on it worked flawlessly). I've performed a System Transfer to my newer 3DS LL, and the game never crashed afterwards, regardless on how long I play in a single sitting.

How do you know it's poorly coded?

Jesus the horror, I'm so sorry.

Do you have an original 3DS or a 3DS XL Tsuna?

BigJC7's comment brought up a question, are regular 3DSes more prone to corruption?

You're so kind Pidjiken and everyone. I may take some of you up on your offers. Mainly for fruit just because I'd feel terrible taking anything else. I believe I had all the types in Ord (My corrupted town...)
@ Kiwi34fruit-I have a purple original 3ds. Purple is my favorite colour <3

That really, really sucks. :( So sorry that happened to you. Like Tina said, at least it's just a couple of months' work gone instead of a year or more... :l

Can you verify it was exiting to the home menu that caused this? Some of the posts here are saying that save corruption is really common in this game, and if you exited to the home menu without saving so many times in the past without problems, maybe that's not what caused your data to corrupt, and it was a coincidence or something.

I'm not trying to tell you to keep quitting the game without saving if it makes you uneasy now (which is definitely understandable); I'm just wondering if it might be jumping the gun a bit to blame the corruption specifically on this and for people to be saying "WELL I'm never doing the reset trick again!!" And if you *can* verify that was the cause, obviously that would also be really useful information to have.

That Sucks
i constantly go to the home menu for resets, to get villagers pics etc

Same here :( oh man... Now I'm scared. I really do it a lot... Uggggh...
Tsuna I'm so sorry this happened to you...

I think the chances of it happening are rare.

Have you tried getting on recently? I've had time when I'm on at 6 AM, the game says it got corrupted, and then I opened it again and it was fine. I've probably only quit without saving 3-4 times, but now I get why Resetti is all like "DOOD".

Try making a new character as well, if it allows you. My game's never really corrupted, so I wouldn't know if you can still do all the same things before loading your town. If you can, you might be able to get some of your stuff back to transfer to other people before you reset or whatever, and maybe get some villagers reserved.

^-^ Lemme know if you need anything. I don't have a lot of money, but if you PM me your dreamies, I can probably help you find them. And I have a lot of medals, so I'd be willing to buy you a bunch of bushes and such from the island.

i dont mind giving fruit/furniture/bells!! i dont really have much in my town though but i would love to help!!
because if i was in this situation i would be sad

i do hope you get your dreamies back, i already have a quite a few of mine and i would be too upset to even make a new town if mine went corrupted
though im not sure if the cause was going to the home screen?? if it was then nintendo needs to fix that asap. maybe another weird glitch thing??

Back