• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

The Women's March!

I just wish there wasn't an eerie feel of trans exclusiveness. Still totally in support of the cause, though.

yo w/ ppl saying "but men have those issues too !!!" in reply to issues women face... like do u realize that ut is on complwtely different levels? women are victims of sexual assault abd sexual abuse way more iften than men. yes, men can get raped but women are victims way more often.
also why do peoole only care about men being raped when they want to say that women being raped isnt such a big issues smh

cat calling, slut shaming, the "boys will be boys" mindset and othr types of casual sexism are things women experience. women are called *****es or bossy when taking the role of a leader. i have personally both seen it and experienced it. it is Super obvious when boys and girls are treated way differently because of their gender.
women have to deal w/ a bunch of crappy sexist **** and imo u all should listen to women and their experiences instead of yelling for sources and Real Facts bc it is kinda crappy to dismiss their experiences ..., like isnt it better to listen instead of screaming about how theyre filthy liars or w/e

giphy.gif

This is everything. Thank you, visibleghost. <3 Literally all what I was trying to defend.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I just wish there wasn't an eerie feel of trans exclusiveness. Still totally in support of the cause, though.

Goshi, could you elaborate on this? I'd like to hear more on your thoughts about it.

giphy.gif

This is everything. Thank you, visibleghost. <3 Literally all what I was trying to defend.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Goshi, could you elaborate on this? I'd like to hear more on your thoughts about it.
idk what goshi meant exactly but a lot of signs were kinda focused on genitalia and that is trans exclusionary because genitalia=/=gender ... it is better to focus on women's issues instead of on genitalia and women shouldnt be represented by boobs or vaginas lmao

idk what goshi meant exactly but a lot of signs were kinda focused on genitalia and that is trans exclusionary because genitalia=/=gender ... it is better to focus on women's issues instead of on genitalia and women shouldnt be represented by boobs or vaginas lmao

You've got to have a little perspective here. What's the bigger problem for transgender people: vagina signs and hats, or Trump? I'm in favor of transgender rights and accepting people, but this is part of the political correctness gone amok which has helped fuel far-right backlashes around the world.

I completely agree

yo w/ ppl saying "but men have those issues too !!!" in reply to issues women face... like do u realize that ut is on complwtely different levels? women are victims of sexual assault abd sexual abuse way more iften than men. yes, men can get raped but women are victims way more often.
also why do peoole only care about men being raped when they want to say that women being raped isnt such a big issues smh

cat calling, slut shaming, the "boys will be boys" mindset and othr types of casual sexism are things women experience. women are called *****es or bossy when taking the role of a leader. i have personally both seen it and experienced it. it is Super obvious when boys and girls are treated way differently because of their gender.
women have to deal w/ a bunch of crappy sexist **** and imo u all should listen to women and their experiences instead of yelling for sources and Real Facts bc it is kinda crappy to dismiss their experiences ..., like isnt it better to listen instead of screaming about how theyre filthy liars or w/e

The "funny" thing is that it's shown time and time again when the news come out that a man was raped, it's always men that are not taking it seriously and saying "She was hot. Lucky!" and nonsense like that. MEN devalue men getting raped, not feminists.

You've got to have a little perspective here. What's the bigger problem for transgender people: vagina signs and hats, or Trump? I'm in favor of transgender rights and accepting people, but this is part of the political correctness gone amok which has helped fuel far-right backlashes around the world.

Just because one thing is more of a problem doesn't mean another thing should be ignored or disregarded as a problem.

I think (cis) women have every right to express their wants for their own bodies (being their uteri + vaginas) but I think there is a way to do it without being cissexist. Like I said previously in this thread, not everyone with a uterus + a vagina is a woman. Those people need to be able to own their own bodies as well. I don't believe most of these women had any intention of excluding trans people but you can make pro-abortion signs without making them look like "Woman = Vagina", especially when TERFs are still a huge problem in the feminism community.

it's funny, because i've been having this same convo w a lot of people about the nature of what a women's march should be and how the categorizing of it as specifically a WOMEN's march, while pointed, is in some ways reductive.

cis women were by far the largest number there and they present their cause and also gender itself in a very binary VAGINA = FEMALE way. so, saying this march is specifically for women both presents it as specifically for only cis women and ignores a lot of the larger problems that people who experience multiple axis of oppression and are most as risk from the now-in-power regime and policies, are facing in america right now, ie. if you are trying to truly help people who are going to be harmed, you should be focusing on lifting and supporting those MOST at risk, at the lowest common denominator, such as low income, disabled, trans/nonbinary, people of color etc. activism efforts should always protect those less able to fight back or socially in power.

i like the women's march. i'm glad people are considering mass civil protest as a viable, important and frequently exercised right. but i question the effect of such actions when so much of it is surface level protest such as "MY P***Y GRABS BACK." rather than like, iunno, calling senators every day and saying "i support equal access to gender affirming hormone care including unequivocal and non-condition based care for transgender people. please support such bills."

- - - Post Merge - - -

i think that's the thing tho: perspective. for trans people, the right to not feel like their body isn't good enough/doesn't have the right parts/is not a true 'woman's body' is just as important as access to health care that will be severed under trump. both of those are sides of bodily autonomy and right to mental and physical safety.

saying one is worse than another is like asking people to pick if they would rather eat a whole prickly pear or a whole pineapple. one might hurt less, but it doesn't make either pleasant.

could you maybe define political correctness for me, though? i'm curious because i always hear people site it as a reason to not do things but never hear a concrete definition of what it truly is.

How about this: men and women should both get recognition for their suffering and treated with the same urgency and respect regardless of their sex. Who would've thought?

Yeah, that was what I meant. Cis women can take pride in their bodies, sure, but a lot of the time it comes off as terf-y. Like Gyro said, there is a way to do this without being cissexist or exclusionary.

Back