• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

The villagers, localization, and Nintendo's "kid-ification" of a great franchise

nudgenudge

Bells
My first post on the forums! Seems to be a wonderful community. This post is rather long, so I've broken it up into paragraphs.

I put about 300 hours into NL and absolutely LOVED the game. It helped ease my depression, and it also helped that I got great RNG with villagers. (Groucho, Stitches, Eugene, Barold) I loved each and every one of them, and while their dialogue got repetitive, it was so memorable that I didn't care. Loved the game, things annoyed me but ultimately it was a wonderful experience.

I bought NH on Christmas, and at first I was stunned by the GORGEOUS HD visuals and all the tiny additions and fixes, such as auto-stacking fruit you collect, and a larger inventory. (THANK GOD) But over time, I just became less and less interested in the game. I love the nook miles system, but it feels like getting all the tools and features takes WAY too long, and collecting so many RNG-dependent items to build villagers houses, along with the RIDICULOUSLY OBSCURE star-rating system, really makes the game feel like a complete slog. I understand that the series is a slow burn, but this just pushes it way too far. But this isn't even the main thing that annoys me so much about NH.

Obviously the AC games are made for a very young audience, this is apparent when looking at art direction, OST, and other factors. I am aware this has been a growing issue for the entire series' life, but the games feel like they're not even made for 10+ children anymore, but 5+ children. This leads into the meat of this post: The villagers. What did they do to you guys?? I have yet to have a single villager say anything REMOTELY interesting or quirky or mean or really any emotion that isn't OH MY GOD I'M SO GLAD WE MET LET'S BE BEST FRIENDS FOREVER AND RUN THROUGH A FIELD OF SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS.

Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating a teeny-tiny bit, but when I don't have to put in any effort to befriend villagers and have still, after TWO WEEKS OF PLAYING, STILL not been asked to do a single favor for a villager, it just makes me feel like they are what they are: lines of code with models. They don't feel like real animals, they feel like lifeless plushies that will say "LET'S BE FRIENDS!" on command if you pull the string on their back. I played NL to achieve emotional bonds, and when Groucho left and gave me his picture frame, and I looked at it in my house, I felt true and real nostalgia. I've read on some other posts here that the localization was missing a lot of the nuance it previously had and was more of a direct translation, which could be the cause for such (I'm just gonna say it) BORING VILLAGERS.

Should I keep playing NH and give it more of a chance? I'm currently trying to get KK to come perform. After I unlock terraforming, will the villagers become not boring? I highly doubt it, but I felt I should ask.

This feeds into a trend I've noticed with Nintendo's decline in quality, something I don't have time to go into here, but the have been majorly screwing up left and right.

Does anyone else notice the lack of personality and character, or am I just being cynical? I legitimately feel zero attachment to any of my Villagers.

The saccharine dialogue often comes across to me as passive-agressive or mocking and I have to remind myself that it is not written to have any sub-text inferred at all.

I have not felt the slightest connection to any of my villagers. The AI for this game is so simple that interacting with its systems is really meaningless to me. Even my favorite villager I like just because she looks so cute in the clothes I give her. I don't talk to her unless she is crafting something.

Simple AI can be okay is this sort of game if the dialogue is good, but I just don't find that to be the case here.

Villagers won't get better or anything, it's one of the common complaints of the game.

Personally, I don't care that everything is rainbows and sunshines, I've connected with my 10 villagers and I don't have the heart to let them go; even if my original plan was to constantly rotate them. I like when Zucker mentions his grandma and how he's scared she'll replace him as his favorite grandson, I enjoy when Renée told Julia to let anyone wear whatever they like, when Mathilda thought Angus was flirting with her, etc. I'm pleased to see Melba examining my pet turtle and watch Chadder struggle with a dumbbell while Antonio is at his side doing a great workout. Maybe I'm just a simple man that enjoys the little things on life, but I've grown attached to this ragtag group of animals with this simple interactions. My mom and I just spent 5 minutes listening to Bianca perform different K.K. songs on the plaza haha

By the way, welcome!

Villagers won't get better or anything, it's one of the common complaints of the game.

Personally, I don't care that everything is rainbows and sunshines, I've connected with my 10 villagers and I don't have the heart to let them go; even if my original plan was to constantly rotate them. I like when Zucker mentions his grandma and how he's scared she'll replace him as his favorite grandson, I enjoy when Renée told Julia to let anyone wear whatever they like, when Mathilda thought Angus was flirting with her, etc. I'm pleased to see Melba examining my pet turtle and watch Chadder struggle with a dumbbell while Antonio is at his side doing a great workout. Maybe I'm just a simple man that enjoys the little things on life, but I've grown attached to this ragtag group of animals with this simple interactions. My mom and I just spent 5 minutes listening to Bianca perform different K.K. songs on the plaza haha

By the way, welcome!
ill give it another shot

The villagers are more mean to each other than they are to you. I feel a bit jealous at times when I see them drop sick burns against each other.
This.

I've posted before, I caught Sylvia attempting to trick Ozzie into drinking hot sauce. I also had Rooney tell me that Maelle's place creeps him out LOL I love Rooney...

By the way, welcome!

I feel the same way about my villagers! I do understand the complaints that they are water-downed or "boring" in this game, as I feel that too, but if I like a villager I will find ways to connect to them even if they can get a little repetitive. I've had the same 10 villagers since July I think? and I'm still not bored of them lol.

OP: What helps is having a variety of personalities and maybe also coming up with little backstories about them for yourself. I feel like in all simulation games you have to insert your own creativity into it to keep it interesting - there's always a limit to how much is coded into a game. I also really miss the early stages of the game when I was working towards my rating, getting friendship up, finding new recipes etc. even though a lot of people think this part of the game takes too long or is too tedious. That was the peak of my WiFi experience and I loved searching for open islands to visit crafters. Now that I'm basically done with my island, sometimes it's hard to come back to it knowing the only things I can do are "casual dailies" or knocking down areas to rebuild. But certain aspects of the game are fun enough to keep bringing me back. I recommend sticking with the game because you might surprise yourself and find interests in one aspect of gameplay over others, and that might be enough to keep you interested. For example, I was able to appreciate my villagers a lot more after I undertook a huge landscaping and terraforming project and made very specific areas inspired by my villagers and their hobbies.

The villagers are more mean to each other than they are to you. I feel a bit jealous at times when I see them drop sick burns against each other.
I agree with this lol. The best dialogue I’ve found with the villagers has been between two having a chat you intrude on. Especially getting two cranky villagers together....

That said, I also agree OP and the dialogue/emotion direction is a downside for me too. I do find I avoid talking to my villagers daily unless I see them thinking or in conversation with another.
I’m not sure if it was their intention to make it feel so watered down for young young kids. I guess to me it feels like another area of the game that they had development on (hence the good dialogue you find between conversations) but never got fully fleshed/finished due to time crunching/delaying the release already. Some people feel the game was release as intended but for me there’s multiple areas that feel/show for me it was not including this - but that’s just me.

I noticed the decline in the villager dialogue, but never outright until I read thoughts here. I simply thought maybe I had gotten tired of talking to villagers due to New Leaf - but no, the dialogue is atrocious in this game.

But tread lightly - dissenting opinions on New Horizons are not taken well by some here.

ill give it another shot
One thing people have to realize is how the villager dialogues are coded. Villagers will always speak first about upcoming events (fishing tourneys, KK being in town, Holiday events), then they will usually talk about what’s around them (items), and stuff you’ve done the day before (gathered resources, shot balloons, etc.), and then they will start talking about random stuff or ask you for favors. If you just talk to a villager once or even twice in a row, you will never get to the meaty, intelligent monologues or you will quite rarely get asked for favors.

My advice is talk to your villagers 4-5 times in a row so they get distractions out of their system (events, surrounding items). You should now get a lot more interesting interactions with your villagers.

Last Spring I thought dialogues were subpar. Then I started talking to my villagers 4-5 times in a row, and that was a revelation. They are actually on the same level as New Leaf. Cranky villagers are actually crankier than in New Leaf. Gonzo lets me know pretty much every day that I am semi-annoying.

One thing people have to realize is how the villager dialogues are coded. Villagers will always speak first about upcoming events (fishing tourneys, KK being in town, Holiday events), then they will usually talk about what’s around them (items), and stuff you’ve done the day before (gathered resources, shot balloons, etc.), and then they will start talking about random stuff or ask you for favors. If you just talk to a villager once or even twice in a row, you will never get to the meaty, intelligent monologues or you will quite rarely get asked for favors.

My advice is talk to your villagers 4-5 times in a row so they get distractions out of their system (events, surrounding items). You should now get a lot more interesting interactions with your villagers.

Last Spring I thought dialogues were subpar. Then I started talking to my villagers 4-5 times in a row, and that was a revelation. They are actually on the same level as New Leaf. Cranky villagers are actually crankier than in New Leaf. Gonzo lets me know pretty much every day that I am semi-annoying.

yknow what? You convinced me.

I agree. There are some things I don’t like in NH but villager interactions and dialogues ain’t one of them. Sometimes, when I hear complaints about villager dialogues and interactions in NH, I actually wonder if my game is an anomaly because my experience with villager dialogues and interactions are a lot deeper than most. It’s weird. My villagers even have memories. I regifted once and I was shamed for it. I never regifted again. Lol. Also, my villagers always steal my heart with their dialogues. I did the campsite trick finding a villager and Rosie cried because I hadn’t talked to her for like a month (I had to TT for the trick to work). I felt so guilty that I didn’t do the campsite method again after. And yes their interactions with each other are super cool and I like that I can “mediate” (scold someone who reacted so rashly towards another villager etc) as opposed to NL where you can just listen in and not give inputs. As much as I loved NL and all it’s rich features, I don’t remember much except that I’m looking cool as a fair number of cucumbers. Not to mention they still teach me how to screenshot years into the game. NH is definitely richer in terms of villager dialogues and interactions for my case than NL, but then again, I talk to my villagers a lot and I’m best friends with pretty much all of them in my island (I have almost all of their pics) so maybe that’s why I’m getting more dialogue-wise. Also, I have a fairly balanced island with all personalities and I try my best to have two different subtypes per repeat personality that I keep in the island to ensure things remain fresh.

This franchise might as well call themselves "Design Crossing" because there seems to be more focus on decorating aspects than on the animals themselves. I find myself not wanting to engage in conversations as much as I wanted to. Sometimes, when two villagers of two personalities converse with each other, I simply ignore them because I already know the dialogue that they will use.The insipid dialogue is more noticeable in NH. My first AC game was NL, which hands down has better dialogue than NH. Other users here have remarked how the dialogue has gotten worse each game. I believe them. I think it might be partly because the developers received complaints from fans, yes from FANS, that some villagers like crankies or snooties are "mean". Resetti in this game is basically absent for this reason. Complaints were voiced to them that Resetti's dialogue upset them so they "removed" him from the game. Well...the dialogue won't be changed anytime soon. They need to keep it "safe" for all players.

Last edited:
I do enjoy the game for what it is, but you are right. It's your personal sandbox where everything including the villagers is a prop for you to use, not a living community of characters you're a part of.

Yes, I know they have interesting dialogue, but even after a week of trying very very hard I wasn't able to access it. When they ran out of options to tell me what I literally just did, they fell back on commenting on the nearest building. The dialogue system needs to be fixed, badly. (For Nook's sake, take the options talking about what your character did out of it entirely.)

Rex had a conversation with me that broke the fourth wall as he was telling me about a dream he had where he was a character in a game and his whole life was a simulation! That’s was pretty funny and not something I ever saw in New Leaf

Back