• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

The Travel Thread

back in april (14th-17th), i went to copenhagen with my older sister and padre to go see kings of convenience. the concerts were really cool beans! we had some 11/10 danish pastries, some raspberry-filled pancakes for breakfast one day and just really pog food. we also went to tivoli gardens and the rides were muchos rad rad. and also there was an aquarium (with a napoleonfish!!!)

pancakes.jpg
tivoli.jpg
1689705396678.jpeg

• Whale
Reactions: Bui
My drive across the country at the end of May was pretty fun. It was my dog and I in one car, and my boyfriend and another roommate in a second car (with two cats). The cats were well-behaved.

I had my dog with me because she's 11 years old and I didn't want to risk her in an airplane. She'd be all alone, in a dark room, and as I think about it, what if they lost her. I also had my PC with me because I'm paranoid and it has my life on it, and I don't trust movers. And a monitor. And other, y'know, stuff. Clothes and supplies.

Went from Maryland into West Virginia then Ohio, then stayed at a hotel in Indianapolis the first day. Second day was the rest of Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, and stayed at a hotel in Kansas City. Third day was Kansas and enough of Colorado to get me to the extended stay hotel we were gonna be in until move-in day.

The hotels were great, my dog was very well-behaved and didn't bark in the rooms until the extended stay, and that was only in the hall when she saw another dog. The extended stay was great, because my boyfriend and our roommate took one room (with two queen beds), so I got the other room alone, with two queen beds. My dog was so happy, with a bed to herself. And I got to be very smug, because I convinced everyone that we should add the electric kettle to the cars as opposed to packing it. Hotel room only had a coffee maker and no kettle. Tea on constant access was great, helped with sleep.

Got really into ACNH again during the time I was in the hotel.

I can't say anything specific about the states we went through, because they were all kinda boring. Rural West Virginia was gorgeous, we went through the mountains of course. Rural Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and Missouri were all kinda dumpy and rundown. Rural Kansas was gorgeous and terrifying, it was like driving through the Windows XP default desktop. Pictures do not do the area justice; it's a gorgeous vibrant green and you can see forever.

The rest stops were just bathrooms with chained up vending machines, which was fine. My dog got good walks at those, and WE SAW A HORSE AT ONE OF THEM.

• Love
I am honestly not a big fan of traveling; I am a homebody and I get homesick if I spend too much time away from home at a time.

But there are some places I do like to go to occasionally (as long as it is not too far away). Last year in August, we (me, my dad, and my brother) went to Houston to see my mom and my maternal grandparents. And we will be going to South Padre Island on Friday and Corpus Christi (which is close to an old town I lived in) on Sunday. I've ridden through Corpus many times, so at least there will be some familiality. :,)

• Love
That feeling of anticipation when I get to the train station at the start of a grand rail journey like this never gets old! The train will be here soon which will kick off another chapter of my rail travels, this time taking me across the Southwestern United States to San Antonio, Texas, North to Dallas, and then North once more across the central US to Chicago Illinois, before finally sending me back West to California and the Bay Area. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at least a little nervous, especially with the whole weather situation following the eclipse, but I'm so stupidly excited right now that it easily overshadows the nervousness.

Back