• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

The Resetting Thread

I reset my town in Wild World once because it was glitched up. I picked up an old copy without a case from a garage sale for $5 and when I plugged it into my 3DS and started playing it. There were two villagers, "Robbert" and "O" of "Fartville." I walked outside and Lyle tried to get me to buy Life Insurance, and somehow, whenever I talked to somebody, all they would say was "Are you bustin' my chops? Do you want life insurance or not?" And I figured out how to reset it when I played the next time.

I don't understand why people want to reset their copies of New Leaf. If you plan not to play it, it makes no difference if you sell it to Tom Nook or just keep it, so why not keep it.

How long do you have to play before you can reset for bells? And how many bells do you get?

I love my town with all my heart and I've unlocked so many building and my path system is on its way to being great, but part of me hates the map and I kind of want to reset so I can lay out paths (default ones are fine because I can eventually change them anyways) and where my villagers will live before all 9 spots are filled (not worried about the 10th heheh, it should be fine because you usually invite them and they don't move in randomly).

How long do you have to play before you can reset for bells? And how many bells do you get?

I love my town with all my heart and I've unlocked so many building and my path system is on its way to being great, but part of me hates the map and I kind of want to reset so I can lay out paths (default ones are fine because I can eventually change them anyways) and where my villagers will live before all 9 spots are filled (not worried about the 10th heheh, it should be fine because you usually invite them and they don't move in randomly).

your town tree has to be at stage 4 of growth (the point where you can sit on the edge to view town history) in order to reset for bells. i don't know exactly how the amount of bells are calculated, but i've always assumed it was the cumulative value of everything that is in the town (your savings, furniture, debt paid etc). you can check your town's worth by prompting to delete the town and tom nook will give you the value of your town, and then the game will let you back out of deletion.

Thank you for that^^

However, after a very frustrating experience in losing 3 hours of hard work in landscaping and bell-earning, I almost feel like I may as well restart now, forget about the bells. I'm not sure if resetting is the way to go or if I should just take a nice break...

I've never been the patient sort, but maybe I should just not play for a bit? I'm worried about my villagers moving out if I reset, yet I also know I can quite easily get some of my favorites through services offered here. And a reset would give me the opportunity to keep trying for a map I actually like instead of the one I ignorantly chose when I first got the game,

If I did choose to just take a break, is there a time after a few days where I should just check in on everyone? I'm proud of all the items I've cataloged and the decorating I put into my house. I'm especially proud of my museum, because although it's not full, I put a lot of effort into it.

What would you do? What should I do?

Am I being unreasonable? I've been resetting all day for blue train station, round grass and peaches. No luck. ;__;

Personally I’d just get a 2nd copy of the game over resetting my town, I’ve put a lot of thought hard work and love into it, I also don’t time travel

i recently reset my town. it was only two months worth of process so i didnt lose much, but it was a great decision in my opinion. i had already managed to get bored of the town so i sold it for 10m bells.
i think it would be a good idea to reset ur town if ure getting bored of it, besides theres no need to become attached to things anyways :) theres a new adventure waiting and u will have more experience this time around! good luck to anyone starting over <3
also that extra sum of bells to start with is a lifesaver

Hello all, I’ve been wondering if I should reset my town, Moonsong. It’s far from complete but I’ve noticed so many unfortunate building/villager placements and I’m just tired of the layout. To give you all some background information:
• 5 year unfinished town with cute theme
• Obtained all 10 dreamies: Molly, Lolly, Flurry, Chelsea, Diana, Marina, Marshal, Maple, Cookie, Merengue
• A large catalogue that is almost complete
• According to Nook, Moonsong is worth 107,247,717 bells not including catalogue
Reasons to reset
Town layout is bad, villager placement is horrendous, alt. character houses are in weird spots, The Roost and Police Station are also in awkward areas
• Landscaping-wise, for some weird reason almost everything is beside the river or another permanent settlement, meaning I can’t place any trees or bushes to surround them which really bugs me

• Town tree is cherry, although not really a major reason to reset, most cute towns have peaches as their native fruit
• Still needed to obtain the zen pwps and others I forgot
I love most of my villagers, but I think that having 7 normal villagers is a little crazy so I might change some of my dreamies 😅
Physical layout of town is unevenly distributed, the north is too skinny and there’s too much space in the south
• The paths/trees that I want to put down just happens to be conveniently blocked by rocks

Reasons not to reset
• Memories as I had the town for 5 years
A new town might be a lot of work as I also play New Horizons, on top of landscaping, placing my pwps and alt. towns
• Moving everything I have to my other town will take a long time
• Moving all of my villagers to my other town is a lot of work and I might mess up and lose one of my villagers
Once I reset, making friends with various villagers of different personalities will be time consuming just to obtain the pwps that I want
• I’m probably overreacting

Everything that I have listed in bold are major reasons for both why I should or should not reset. I think that resetting would be new and exciting, but I’m thinking about keeping the same name and appearance as my old mayor (I like her design and I’ve spent wayyy too much tbt on having talented artists commission her for me 😂). I might change my town name into something else as the name Moonsong doesn’t make any sense as my theme is cute and pink in the afternoon, not at night. That’s about all I can think about, please let me know what you guys think! 😃

A lot of my friends are playing acnh on their switch but since it's impossible to get hold of one, I downloaded acnl. I did two resets on my first day cos I really didn't like the look of my first batch of villagers and the face I had. After a few days though, little things started to annoy me. My house was too close to the river. There were too many ponds (3) and rocks (8). The retail center was in the middle of the map so it was far from everything. The last straw was a new villager had moved in to where I wanted to build my bridge.

So the next day, I decided to spend some time resetting. Little did I know I would be sucked into a vortex of endless nitpicking. I don't like the grass. I don't like this villager. I don't like the fruit. I don't like the pond placement. After a whole afternoon of being unhappy and sick of all of it. I told a friend (who was a professional therapist) about it and she basically agreed it was my perfectionist tendency getting out of hand, again. She told me to just start up my game for the last time and stick with what I got. That seemed like a tall order so I told myself, I would give myself three tries, and if on the last try there was nothing I liked, I had to make the best out of it. Plus, it would add to the challenge.

First try: all the maps had 3-5 ponds. NEXT.

Second try: I got Wart Jr. as one of the starting villagers and he freaks me out. NEXT

At this point, it really felt like my fate was hanging by a thread. Finally...third try: all the maps had 1-2 ponds! I picked my fav. And VOILA! Native fruit was cherries (which I love) and I got FLURRY (one of my favs). I canvased the town and found only 6 rocks which were in tolerable locations. In short, I felt like I lucked out and everything was meant to be. So now I'm one happy mayor.

I still think, though, living with the imperfections and accidents is a huge lesson here for me to learn. Since I don't TT and do plot resetting, I'm sure I'll encounter awkward move-ins again and again. I mean, just today I accidentally sold my watering can. But I just told myself to not panic and wait till the gardening center opens. In any case, here's to happy mayor-ing.

has anyone here reset after starting ACNH, and how do you feel about it? i'm tempted to do it in order to quell my desire to start a second NH island (buying another switch....no way) and in order to move in some of the amiibo card villagers i've since bought. i'd also be resetting for peaches!! i'm also not very attached to my current town as i did reset about 2-3 times since first getting the game and also haven't logged in in at least a year.

so how did you guys feel about your post-ACNH resets? was it worth it or do you just feel burned out?

has anyone here reset after starting ACNH, and how do you feel about it? i'm tempted to do it in order to quell my desire to start a second NH island (buying another switch....no way) and in order to move in some of the amiibo card villagers i've since bought. i'd also be resetting for peaches!! i'm also not very attached to my current town as i did reset about 2-3 times since first getting the game and also haven't logged in in at least a year.

so how did you guys feel about your post-ACNH resets? was it worth it or do you just feel burned out?
[/QUOUTE]
It depends on the person really. Some people cannot bear to lose a town they worked really hard on for months, but if you are like me, a nice reset after a hiatus does me well.

I want to get back into NL (while still playing NH). The main thing I look for when resetting is villagers. I will probably keep the town I get someone I really like in.

Waaaaaaaah. I put the game down and left the forums for over a year (still lurked and maybe an odd post here and there) BUT! I have finally started transferring my stuff to my partner's town (he doesn't play it - town's kinda empty) so I can reset.
My mental health took a severe turn for the worse last year. I'm back now, though. Maybe not on a permanent basis because I'm busting my a-- with my freelancing work.

So I was kinda stuck because I chose my original layout with the resident services right in front of my airport and two south facing rivers (big landscaping 'why the heck did I do that?!' moment). I managed to get a nice design that I was in the middle of landscaping and making it somehow work. However, I put the game down for a long time because it was just exhausting trying to figure out what to put in the empty spaces and I was seeing so many cool layouts that I just couldn't do because of the location of the permanent features in my town.

I have roughly a third of my things transferred to my partner's island (had to stop because it was becoming mind numbingly boring sitting through the airport cutscenes over and over)

I'm really hoping I don't regret it but I do want a blue airport because my island was called Blue Sands - however I'm undecided as to whether I continue with the same name.

I did it only once, just because a certain someone said they were moving and at the last minute gave up 😒
I don't like to reset, since we can't reset in real life... :/

Reposting here because I didn't know there was an actual thread for this subject.

Ok, so I have to be honest, it’s been a few years since I last played. I’m worried about just going back in. I have gotten many things in both towns. But I want opinions, and maybe help. If I were to restart, would someone help me by storing the harder (unorderbles) items? I have one 3ds but as I have a digital and a physical version of the game I have 2 towns. I can’t go from one to the other on my own. And I’m not sure, if I do start over, how much time until I can reclaim the items. Or, I can just jump back in, but that feels wrong at the same time. Please help.

Thinking of restarting one of my copies of new leaf to have a side game to play, but I'd have soo much relearning to do! But thinking maybe I should hold off for a bit since the new update just came out :unsure: It'll take me a million days to think of a name, anyways. ^^;;

if you still need help i can store some of your items. Im on here periodically so just pm me if you still needed this.

Back