The Official Homework Help Thread

What are some interesting different narrative structures?
I don't want to write a boring story ><

What are some interesting different narrative structures?
I don't want to write a boring story ><

plot-diagram.png

This is your basic three-act structure that is mostly expected when writing a narrative. This is the kind you'll see in most movies and video games where once the action takes off, the story becomes more and more tense until it reaches a crescendo. It can be predictable since it's the basic form of storytelling, but it all depends on your skill as a writer to draw someone in.. usually consisting of the climax of the story being something unexpected or exciting.

rpgstructure2.gif

This is another kind of structure. This one is primarily used in D&D campaigns where the players would need a moment of rest between arcs. With that being said, this structure allows for a false sense of security, as each peak is separated by its own chapter layout. With this kind of narrative, you can have people asking themselves "what could happen to top that?!"

2387371826_509e4d0f06_o.png

Similar to the second narrative, this is a tension graph. You'll notice all of these follow the three-act structure, but can have different peaks and resolutions. Your best bet is to experiment with what you find to be compelling.

Could someone please describe the formation of mountains and lakes as told through the Bible? I am writing a creation theory on how mountains and lakes were made (just for fun), and I want it to differ as much as possible from any particular religious record.

Could someone please describe the formation of mountains and lakes as told through the Bible? I am writing a creation theory on how mountains and lakes were made (just for fun), and I want it to differ as much as possible from any particular religious record.

Basically in the bible, there's not specific creation of mountains and lakes, but there is of water and land, which I suppose is just to be as broadening as possible.

Genesis 1:9-10, "And God said, “Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear.” And it was so. 10 God called the dry ground “land,” and the gathered waters he called “seas.” And God saw that it was good.""

Pretty much, God said it, and it was.
(I can also confirm that this is the only way it says he created the land and the sea because I went to ministry school and the specific creation of mountains and lakes were never mentioned.)

Basically in the bible, there's not specific creation of mountains and lakes, but there is of water and land, which I suppose is just to be as broadening as possible.

Genesis 1:9-10, "And God said, “Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear.” And it was so. 10 God called the dry ground “land,” and the gathered waters he called “seas.” And God saw that it was good.""

Pretty much, God said it, and it was.
(I can also confirm that this is the only way it says he created the land and the sea because I went to ministry school and the specific creation of mountains and lakes were never mentioned.)

Oh, I see. Well, that's a little disappointing. I was hoping for a little more scientific of an explanation from the Bible as to how these things were formed. Even a simple explanation of growth would have been appreciated, but I suppose that gives me more room to write and be creative, right? Thanks a lot!

http://imgur.com/a/f1gnm
Just answer those questions that are wrong (encircled by the prof). You can tell by now I'm dumb for a freshman college.

Last edited:
Just answer those questions that are wrong (encircled by the prof). You can tell by now I'm dumb for a freshman college.

mfw ur in university and u cant do basic quadratics

q1. u were pretty much correct except u forgot the = 0
x^2 - 8x + 16 - 3 = 0
(x - 4)^2 -3 = 0
(x - 4)^2 = 3 // take square root of both sides
x - 4 = +/-sqrt(3)
x = 4 + sqrt(3) and x = 4 - sqrt(3)

q2. u ****ed up ur "b^2" term in the quadratic formula

q3. idk wat ur asking for here

Last edited:
Remember to only post if you have a homework-related question or can help another user, and please be respectful to anyone who posts. There's no need for side remarks or insults.

Don't call your sell dumb! Math isn't everyone's strong point, and this thread is intended for anyone to get help on any subject of any difficulty ^^.

I will give you some assistance on #7 specifically. In your second line of work, you squared both sides of the equation and the equality of both sides in general, is not true. For example, if x = -2 and we square both sides then we get x^2 = 4 which implies that x = -2 AND x = 2. In a sense, we get twice as many solutions as we started with.

You started with a quadratic equation which always has two solutions (either both real or both complex). If you were to continue from line 2 of your work, you will have to solve the quartic equation which has 4 solutions to which only 2 of them are the solutions to the original problem. It looks like that is what you were attempting. The quadratic equation can still be applied but you need to make a substitution if you're using it with a quartic equation. If you let p = x^2 then you can apply the quadratic equation.

I've provided a solution to that specific problem below since it looks like you've already been graded on it. Note that you end up with 4 solutions as I mentioned, to which only two of them are the solutions to the original problem. You can plug each of the 4 solutions into the original equation to see that x = 3 and x = -3 are solutions but x = sqrt(2) and x = -sqrt(2) are not. Hope this helps :)!

2uym3k1.png

Back