The "I learned something new today!" Thread

Oh my, oh my, OH MY!! :oops:
I've just watched this short fan-movie about "JUMANJI level one", and let me tell you, I kinda expected it to be a fiasco because well, with all due respect but usually fanmade movies are pretty bad in my experience. But this was isn't, it was actually very good! So that's one of the things that I've learned today, that fan-movies can in fact be great.
So please, go watch it. Not only for the fun of it, but also because it's linked to a charity for sick children. I didn't know about them maybe you do, it's Anchors.

I learned this a week or so ago but apparently you can use the fabric of a specific kind of reusable shopping bag to act as a sort of filter for homemade face masks! As long as it's polypropylene fabric without any kind of plastic coating, you can use it.

I learned today why when playing Paper Mario on NSO, having Watt set as your partner when you get a game over crashes the game and makes players lose most, if not all, their save progress.

it's basically like this:
- in the NSO version of the game, the devs included a line of code that causes the game to lag in certain parts, like the pause menu, the Lava Piranha fight, and the game over screen. nobody has any idea why they did this, and it doesn't seem to serve any useful purpose, not even for performance reasons.
- Watt is the only partner character that has particle effects (those little floating lightning bolts) and that's what causes the game to crash with this line of code.
- there was another line of code implemented into the Japanese version of the game which prevents this crash, but somehow the devs broke this code in the US version so it doesn't work.
- regarding the loss of save data, the NSO app doesn't permanently save game data until the app is closed, and it won't save it at all when the app crashes. so if you play a while, save your game, and then experience a crash, your save will go back to the save point before the last save you did.
(this actually happens with all NSO N64 titles, but it's more obvious with Paper Mario because the crash can be executed so easily)
- if you close out of the app before the crash happens you won't lose save data because it was closed properly.
- also if you use a save state, those are immediately written to permanent memory unlike a regular save so you won't lose your dats there even if a crash occurs.
- if you use a hacked switch to remove the lag code from the game the crash doesn't occur.

did you catch all that? hopefully. does it many any sense at all? probably not.

I was today years old when I found out there's a Bob the Builder version of Mambo No. 5. Just typing that sentence is surreal. It was even more of a shock considering it was part of a music mashup and very often they contain bizarre titles and thumbnails so I was not prepared. Please watch this so your ears and eyes can be as cursed as mine.

lmao I tried looking this up and 80% of articles still say ferment/fermented 😆😆

Lol it's a dog grooming thing

Ferminate is to use a ferminator brush type thing to get out the dead extra undercoat on long haired breeds of dogs like Huskies, German Shepards, Collies, Goldens, ect...

I tend to pronounce things wrong, so for like a year when someone asked me to brush the dogs undercoat, I would say they wanted me to ferment the dog, instead of ferminate. Like the proper word. No one corrected me (until recently) so forever now I would say I'm fementing a dog.

Lol it's a dog grooming thing

Ferminate is to use a ferminator brush type thing to get out the dead extra undercoat on long haired breeds of dogs like Huskies, German Shepards, Collies, Goldens, ect...

I tend to pronounce things wrong, so for like a year when someone asked me to brush the dogs undercoat, I would say they wanted me to ferment the dog, instead of ferminate. Like the proper word. No one corrected me (until recently) so forever now I would say I'm fementing a dog.
OHHHHH I didn't realize that was a thing lol. glad you figured out the right way to say it. I would prob be really confused if someone said they were fermenting their dog 🤣

Today I learned that Proscriptor McGovern released a new album back in November of last year with his new incarnation of Absu (how I wasn't aware of this until just now, I'm not sure). I'm going to have to give it a listen when I can.

a3747127842_16.jpg

i learned that background isn’t spelled “backround.” whenever i typed that out i always wondered why it was red underlined. i’ve spent my whole life spelling it the wrong way, im so stupid.

i learned that background isn’t spelled “backround.” whenever i typed that out i always wondered why it was red underlined. i’ve spent my whole life spelling it the wrong way, im so stupid.

BIG SAME. Like, backround makes sense to me too. BackGround I guess would make sense but idk, to me backRound no G makes sense. It's not the bottom, it's what's behind, so ground doesn't sound right.

I learned that the Autopolis International Racing Course is an actual race track in real life. I always thought it was fictional for some reason. It's pretty obscure too, so it rarely gets talked about aside from a few things here and there.

i already knew this one but i love sharing this fun fact so it can be an “I learned something new today!” for everyone else:

Catching and keeping female Dungeness crab is illegal! especially regarding commercial crabbing, but it’s not really allowed in general in most areas. this means that every time you catch a Dungeness crab in ACNH there is a 50% chance you are partaking in illegal crabbing

I just found out that Shigeru Miyamoto regards the Tox Box (that giant box enemy in Shifting Sand Land and the Toy Time Galaxy/Stone Cyclone Galaxy) as one of his greatest designs, going as far as to call it a "masterpiece", because it succeeds in fulfilling his video game philosophy: "making gameplay mechanics clear and quickly understood at a first glance."

120px-SM64_Asset_Model_Tox_Box.png
180px-Tox_Box_SMG.png

I just can't believe it. apparently the Tox Box is actually the definition of perfection. this is an incredible discovery, my childhood is now complete.
Post automatically merged:

this means that every time you catch a Dungeness crab in ACNH there is a 50% chance you are partaking in illegal crabbing
another incredible discovery, thank you for sharing this info. I always wanted to break the law in animal crossing.

Back