• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

The feature to buy items from your villagers is behind high friendships

VanitasFan26

I'm just a ghost.
Bells
Red Envelope
Red Envelope
While the 2.0 update did bring back a lot of features, the only one that I don't see anyone speaking about was the feature to buy villager's home items in their home. For those who didn't play City Folk and New Leaf there was event called the "Flea Market" where villagers yourself can sell each other items and even buy from each other. It was a pretty cool way of getting furniture items that were hard to get

Now we have New Horizons and I'm sorry to say that the event itself is not in the game the only you can get to buy items from villager homes is when you have a high friendship. Its another one of those "Its RNG" moments where you may have a chance of triggering it, but other times it doesn't appear. I've been playing for so long that I never see this feature. Even my long lasting villager Molly who have had a high friendship with and gotten her photo so long ago doesn't even approach me or becomes interested.

Another thing while buying furniture from your villagers is cool, its already too late because with crafting and then buying stuff from Nook shopping the feature becomes pointless. Also again its RNG weather the villager is interested in selling furniture to you and since there no flea market event in this game it makes it even more harder for it to trigger. Have you guys gotten the feature where villagers are offering you to buy stuff in their home or no?

I haven’t been playing a lot so I don’t know how rare it is but Ione offered to sell her furniture when she invited me to her house. It was just like the previous games where certain furniture are off limits. I don’t think it‘s tied to high friendship though as she was pretty new to my island back then and I haven’t gotten her photo yet.

Yes, I went to Jeremiah's house because Jeremiah has been on my island since like August last year and him and Drago are always annoying me to come to their homes, so I finally went to his house and then he "trapped" me by this I mean I wanted to leave as fast as I could and not overstay but he INSISTS on making me stay longer so I stay longer and he forces me to buy his furniture when I don't want any of it(if you've seen his house his furniture is pretty cheap or you can craft it) I refuse over and over but he forces me to buy his stuff so I can finally leave. Totally agree with what your saying, it's too late for this feature because of crafting and such.

Yes, I went to Jeremiah's house because Jeremiah has been on my island since like August last year and him and Drago are always annoying me to come to their homes, so I finally went to his house and then he "trapped" me by this I mean I wanted to leave as fast as I could and not overstay but he INSISTS on making me stay longer so I stay longer and he forces me to buy his furniture when I don't want any of it(if you've seen his house his furniture is pretty cheap or you can craft it) I refuse over and over but he forces me to buy his stuff so I can finally leave. Totally agree with what your saying, it's too late for this feature because of crafting and such.
Wow so they force you to stay to make you buy their furniture? That mechanic seems broken because I don't remember that happening in past AC games.

Wow so they force you to stay to make you buy their furniture? That mechanic seems broken because I don't remember that happening in past AC games.
Yes they force me to stay you can either buy their furniture to be freed from their trap or you could just I don't know waste time and sit for like 5 minutes or whatever so they will let you leave because you spent enough time with them, like I'm really sorry I couldn't play with you long enough Jeremiah but it's just I got a life and I got things to do

Two villagers wanted me to buy stuff from their houses so far. I don’t want to steal my favorite villager‘s furniture though. When there was a flea market in previous games, it was more of a choice than it is now. Also, you can only choose a very limited amount of furniture in their house, mostly just something they put on a table or so. None of them sold me anything bigger.

I only had the offer to buy once from Purrl. I was able to leave without buying anything.

Shortly after that, I redesigned everyone's home. I don't know if that blocks the "buy my stuff" option, but I haven't had it since.

Wow, I can’t believe they force you to stay and buy their furniture? Does that mean you’re basically trapped if you don’t have any bells with you? I mean, unless you save the game and come back on to appear at your house again.

Wow, I can’t believe they force you to stay and buy their furniture? Does that mean you’re basically trapped if you don’t have any bells with you? I mean, unless you save the game and come back on to appear at your house again.
I am surprised that this feature can soft lock you and yes unless if you reboot the game there is no way to get out of their home.

Yep, every time they invite me over they want me to buy something. Its kinda weird, but I have bought some stuff. But I think its cute that the only thing Chief wouldnt let me buy, was his waste basket

But I have had nine of them for a year, but Sasha asks me every time too. Im not sure why I have such high friendship with him lol.

Last edited:
The Flea Market wasn't in New Leaf, or at least it wasn't an event as it was in WW and CF. Villagers just display their stuff at Retail.

With that said, I had Pashmina try to sell me one of her items. I just figured it worked similarly to NL. I didn't know the player needed a high friendship with an islander in order to have them sell their items to you when you visited them.

The buying is optional; after a couple of sentences they will offer for you to buy anything that interests you, but you don't have to. I really like this feature because I had a bunch of villagers displaying clothing and I was able to get their houses back to the way I like them.

Back