• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

The Brave Little Toaster: Review

Alolan_Apples

“Assorted” Collector
Bells
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Green Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Hot Cocoa
Snowflake Glow Wand
Yellow Tulip
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Orange Candy
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
Although I originally planned on having no movie reviews on my blog (I’ve also broken my promise on news and game entries), I decided to write a movie review for a movie I loved watching a lot when I was in the first grade, and I have plans on watching it for both New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day. That is the 1987 movie The Brave Little Toaster.

Plot:

The story begins in an abandoned cottage where a group of five appliances (Toaster, Radio, Blanky, Lampy, and Kirby (a vacuum cleaner)) do chores as they hopelessly wait for the Master (the owner of the appliances). Because he’s been gone for so long, they were basically abandoned. To make matters worse, the cottage they lived in was put up for sale. Because they couldn’t accept that the Master won’t return (except for the Air Conditioner, which blew up after being reminded of not getting any love), they had to leave the cottage. It began with looking for transportation ways until they decided on a battery-operated desk chair. After that, they left the cottage and went on an adventure.

The adventure to the city started smoothly, as it got interesting on the second day of the adventure. But after Toaster’s bad dream where she falls into the bathtub, the adventure got rough. Every obstacle they went through, the whole group had to help out each other. They had to deal with a violent storm, an empty battery, the waterfall, the mud pit, and a parts shop where appliances are killed for their parts. After dealing with these obstacles, they finally made it to the city the Master was living in.

On the way in, the Master (who’s name is Rob) has left his apartment. He went to the cottage to pick up his appliances, only to realize that it was trashed and his appliances are gone. Meanwhile, the appliances met the newer appliances (which are very 1980s by all standards) that wanted to live with the Master as he goes to college. Because of their superiority (since the main appliances are old) and their jealousy (since the Master loved the main appliances more), they kicked them out of the apartment as they fell into a dumpster, which took them to the junkyard. The Master, unwilling to accept any of the newer appliances, eventually went to the junkyard due to false advertisements to save the main appliances.

The adventure was at the worst when they arrived in the junkyard. The worst enemy is the giant magnet, which determines the fate of the cars in the junkyard. Many were placed on the conveyer belt as they are to be crushed by the crusher. When the magnet saw the main appliances, it chased after them, yet it keeps failing. When the Master finally found them, it picked up the Master to kill him. Toaster was terrified to see him get killed, so she sacrifices herself to shut down the crusher and save the other appliances and the Master.

After the sacrifice, the Master repaired Toaster and took the others. When all five were together again, he and his girlfriend went off to college with all five appliances in the trunk.

Highlights:

• Best Character - although Blanky was my favorite character back then, I’m going with Radio today. Despite being rude and arrogant, and not doing anything for the other appliances but act as a compass to lead them to the city, I liked his voice as he got a lot of character development. No main character is guilty for lacking character development (not even the Air Conditioner), but I think Radio has a lot more personality.
  • Worst Character - I’m going with the giant magnet in the junkyard. It is just a flat character that’s only made of evil rather than a true villain. That, and it crossed the line when it picked up the Master as it tried to kill him in attempt to kill the appliances.
  • Best Scene - I’m going with the parts shop. This was my favorite scene back when I was a kid, favorite scene today. What I liked best was that the appliances closed the curtains and disguised themselves as a ghost to scare the shop owner in order to save the Radio’s life. When I was a kid, I thought that was a bright painting they tried to look at, as I don’t know why the other appliances in the shop pulled them away. But as an adult, I learned it was a window as the sun was setting. They were pulled away because the other appliances thought they were trying to escape.
  • Worst Scene - the Toaster’s bad dream. While most of the movie was interesting, this part wasn’t interesting. Plus, that scary clown was pretty ugly.
  • Best Song - City of Light.
  • Worst Song - The Cutting Edge.
  • Other Details - one thing I didn’t really know back when I was a kid is that I know now is that the movie was very dark. In fact, each part of the film was unusually dark, and there’s a whole bunch of dark scenes. Suicide, the bad dream where Toaster gets killed by falling into a bathtub (which also a reference to a common form of suicide), self-sacrifice, the parts shop, deadly obstacles, and the junkyard scene are all the dark parts I can think of. What’s even crazier is that it’s advertised as a kid’s movie. Another point I like to bring up is that before Toy Story, there was The Brave Little Toaster. While Toy Story remains as one of the most popular movies, The Brave Little Toaster remains obscure and has not got a re-release since 2003. It’s not even on the Disney+ streaming service.
Rating:

Although Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 75% rating, I would rate it a 9/10.

Back