• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

The ACNH Rant Thread

I will say it is annoying trying to kick out a villager when you try to look for them with the thought bubble above their head and you have to make sure it lands on the right villager who you want to kick out.
Yeah, speaking of which, can we please have a feature where you track where the villagers are? If I have a big island filled with trees - which I do - it's hard to locate the villagers sometimes when their face is hidden behind the foliage. It's as if Nintendo does its best to screw up your perfectly laid plan of checking every villager if they have a bubble or not. This is fine if you manage to pull it off in one or two tries, but imagine trying to check 20 times and have a villager just hidden away in some obscure part of the museum! Oh my god.

Yeah, speaking of which, can we please have a feature where you track where the villagers are? If I have a big island filled with trees - which I do - it's hard to locate the villagers sometimes when their face is hidden behind the foliage. It's as if Nintendo does its best to screw up your perfectly laid plan of checking every villager if they have a bubble or not. This is fine if you manage to pull it off in one or two tries, but imagine trying to check 20 times and have villager just hidden away in some obscure part of the museum! Oh my god.
You know its funny. Back in New Leaf there was a feature called the "Megaphone" where it was used to call villager's name so you can find out where they were, but it required using your voice on the 3DS which at the time was not all that perfect. In New Horizons literally we and the rest of the villagers have our own nookphone and I have to ask why can't we even call each other? Its literally a phone and you mean to tell me that we cannot call our villagers asking where in the world they are?

I spend like 30 minutes trying to find Violet on my 2nd island just so I can give her a gift and she was nowhere to be found and when I went to the Museum she was literally all the way in the Fish room right where the Oarfish is swimming. I was like "Are you kidding me?!" If only they would just add a new App to our nook phone that lets us call our villagers that maybe would let us know where they are or if they could come to us when we want to give them something it would save us the time and pain.

You know its funny. Back in New Leaf there was a feature called the "Megaphone" where it was used to call villager's name so you can find out where they were, but it required using your voice on the 3DS which at the time was not all that perfect.
I actually looked it up after you mentioned it, and oh my god! It's hilarious!
[deleted video 'coz it has swear words :p]

I love the way the villagers are like, "There's a ghost calling my name! Who's calling my name?!" when you're literally standing next to them while shouting. lmao

Sigh. Just another amusing feature New Horizons doesn't have. I know it's impossible to incorporate a voice feature on a TV console since even other consoles like PS5 and XBox only have microphone connections, not voice-activation features, but man, this looks like such a fun feature, and useful too even if it isn't the most reliable. It's so cute too!

Last edited:
Grindy indeed. I hate the card games. I almost lost every single time.

I think I'll just stick with Amiibos from now on (now that I'm getting every one of them). The campsite's gonna be pretty useless though after that. It's too bad we can't just destroy it. It's a pointless paperweight if you only use Amiibos like us. lol
You still need the campsite to use amiibo cards though. When I first started using the cards last year I thought the 3 visits thing was unnecessary. Granted I will take that over how grindy inviting normal campsite visits is, but I loved how it was one and done with NL. Sure, I get some people's defense that it makes the content/game last longer, but it honestly feels like they've made a lot of their game last longer through arbitrary reasons/content simply to stretch it out as long as they can and there are better and more engaging ways to do that.

For those last fall or this one, how many of you actually found shaking for acorns fun? This is another perfect example of stretching it out. Sure we got an hours worth of content, but was it fun? Was it necessary?

@OriusPrime There was actually something akin to that with the megaphone in NL. You had to talk in it and pronounce their name right. So if it was a hard name to do you might have trouble. Sometimes I would say someone's name and Kappn' on the pier would go 'GaR!?!?' like he thought I was calling him when it wasn't even close.

Sometimes I would go 'GaR!?' back and Kappn' would match my energy and respond lol.

The best thing about the megaphone thought was you could tell your friendship with them. If you can see them, they will react instead of saying 'I am over here.' (Their text bubble would get smaller/larger depending where you were from them) Anyway they would look around confused with low, give like a weak wave when mid, and wave happily with the glee sound effect with high. It was really cute.

And like the same happened when sitting on a chair with them. They would smile so gleefully when you sat with them and would act like you weren't there with low.

Or you could strum their instrument in their house and they would clap after you were done.

I'm sorry, but this is low effort content that they took out that had so much charm to it. I was so looking forward to sitting with them and they just didn't care. I see people defending why stuff like this is cut out, but honestly we really shouldn't be defending low effort stuff like this that could easily be implemented in a week or so.

Just add a GPS/locator to the map. That should be easy enough.
Heck or even just a contact list where you can phone them and they'd give a generic response like 'I am outside! I am in the museum! I am at Able's/Nooklings!'

I am once again here to complain about the one island per switch thing and I will continue to do so until the end of time.

also the update schedule is annoying and the game shouldn't have been a live service at all.

also also locking holidays from the previous year with the this year holiday updates makes no sense to me, I guess you could say its to stop people from getting 2021 items early but the halloween update this year gave us three items?who cares??

I'm also here to complain about the DIY distribution lol. I'm trying to collect all the Spooky recipes because it would fit my island's theme perfectly, but unfortunately I haven't always had the time to pop in on the game, even for just a few minutes, since college has been kicking my butt this week. I only have the Spooky Tree, the other times I've tried, I've gotten standard recipes. Like, couldn't they make sure you get all the Spooky/seasonal recipes first, then start giving you standard stuff again? Darn.

I'm also here to complain about the DIY distribution lol. I'm trying to collect all the Spooky recipes because it would fit my island's theme perfectly, but unfortunately I haven't always had the time to pop in on the game, even for just a few minutes, since college has been kicking my butt this week. I only have the Spooky Tree, the other times I've tried, I've gotten standard recipes. Like, couldn't they make sure you get all the Spooky/seasonal recipes first, then start giving you standard stuff again? Darn.
And another thing if you already know the Spooky DIYS they don't give it to you, instead they just give you pumpkins or candy. Like thats cool but suppose I wanted another one for a friend who has a hard time getting spooky diys on their island.
Post automatically merged:

The best thing about the megaphone thought was you could tell your friendship with them. If you can see them, they will react instead of saying 'I am over here.' (Their text bubble would get smaller/larger depending where you were from them) Anyway they would look around confused with low, give like a weak wave when mid, and wave happily with the glee sound effect with high. It was really cute.
You know they should've just added more apps to our Nookphone that can help out a lot and like you said there should be a way to check our friendship status with our villagers. For one thing I suggest there should be apps to call our villagers, settings to change sound and music, and a Goal app that tells us what we can do during the day and what rewards we can get similar to Pocket Camp.

Some of y'all don't care for Brewster, he'll be serving coffee to tumbleweeds in a few months.
Just saying.

You still need the campsite to use amiibo cards though. When I first started using the cards last year I thought the 3 visits thing was unnecessary. Granted I will take that over how grindy inviting normal campsite visits is, but I loved how it was one and done with NL. Sure, I get some people's defense that it makes the content/game last longer, but it honestly feels like they've made a lot of their game last longer through arbitrary reasons/content simply to stretch it out as long as they can and there are better and more engaging ways to do that.

For those last fall or this one, how many of you actually found shaking for acorns fun? This is another perfect example of stretching it out. Sure we got an hours worth of content, but was it fun? Was it necessary?

@OriusPrime There was actually something akin to that with the megaphone in NL. You had to talk in it and pronounce their name right. So if it was a hard name to do you might have trouble. Sometimes I would say someone's name and Kappn' on the pier would go 'GaR!?!?' like he thought I was calling him when it wasn't even close.

Sometimes I would go 'GaR!?' back and Kappn' would match my energy and respond lol.

And like the same happened when sitting on a chair with them. They would smile so gleefully when you sat with them and would act like you weren't there with low.

Or you could strum their instrument in their house and they would clap after you were done.

I'm sorry, but this is low effort content that they took out that had so much charm to it. I was so looking forward to sitting with them and they just didn't care. I see people defending why stuff like this is cut out, but honestly we really shouldn't be defending low effort stuff like this that could easily be implemented in a week or so.

Heck or even just a contact list where you can phone them and they'd give a generic response like 'I am outside! I am in the museum! I am at Able's/Nooklings!'
Sorry, brain fart moment; forgot that you had to use the campsite too for Amiibos. lmao

I think I can see why people love New Leaf so much. I mean, I've seen why before, but now that I've read your post, it seems like it's really the little things you have with your villagers that really makes it so much more worthy of playing everyday. Whereas in NH, I'm already getting bored because all my Peppy villagers are repeating generic dialogue every now and then, saying the same stuff, just with different catchphrases. There's a lack of that 'personal intimacy' that you've described here in your post.

Also, yeah, you've pretty much confirmed what I had believed, that the megaphone is a super-cute feature. lol I only saw bits of its usage on YouTube, and it already looks like super-fun and amusing, the way your villagers react to you like that. Definitely another feature that makes you feel closer to the villagers that NH desperately needs, ugh. Right now, I'm just rotating villagers in and out without a care on my NH because of their repetitive personality.

Regarding the 'stretching out the content' thing like shaking acorns... there can be an appealing side to it if you enjoy slice-of-life stuff, where you just enjoy mundane everyday life without a care. Buuuut that requires the kind of 'charm' and unique flavor that you've described, the kind where it actually makes you feel like going back to your village everyday to see what kind of new and cute stuff your villagers would do or say to you.

I do like that villagers tend to have conversations among themselves though, and when you go talk to them in the middle of it, you get to join in and even share your input sometimes. But things like that are few and far between, as if this is a mobile version of a much more fun game like how limited "Pocket Camp" was.

I'm alright with Brewster going in the museum, but just a small nitpick - that means it's going to take two loading segments (one to get into the museum, one to get in the cafe). With how fast the PS5 and Xbox Series load, some of the Switch's load times are becoming more apparent (particularly the game's initially loading at the start). Hopefully by the time the next AC comes out, loading will be fast enough that going in and out of buildings is seamless.

I really hate how villagers' friendship gets reset if you move them out. I wish they could just periodically move out and then move in again and it's like meeting an old friend. But that's too realistic for Nintendo, I guess...

This is more of a nitpick than a rant, but I’m a bit bummed that all the harvestables are being added at the very end of fall (in the Northern Hemisphere at least).

By the time I’ll actually get to access the content it’ll be close to winter, and I don’t really want to grow crops in the snow. It would’ve been nice to have the update early September instead—I think that would’ve fit comparatively better for both hemispheres.

This is more of a nitpick than a rant, but I’m a bit bummed that all the harvestables are being added at the very end of fall (in the Northern Hemisphere at least).

By the time I’ll actually get to access the content it’ll be close to winter, and I don’t really want to grow crops in the snow. It would’ve been nice to have the update early September instead—I think that would’ve fit comparatively better for both hemispheres.

Flowers are similar in AC. It does feel weird to me that they don't die off in winter. I understand why Nintendo does things that way, because people would be upset to lose their hybrids that they spend a long time on.

What would be neat now is if they DID let flowers and crops die in the winter (unless they make ones that would be realistic to be alive in the winter, but I don't think any crops coming up are), but to compensate add in a greenhouse. Putting crops and flowers in your greenhouse in the winter would make realistic sense. Also, I bet people could do really creative things with it as far as decorating goes. Heck, people who have no interest in flowers or crops could even use it as another space to decorate however they want.

I seriously doubt any of this would happen, but it's fun to imagine anyway.

Flowers are similar in AC. It does feel weird to me that they don't die off in winter. I understand why Nintendo does things that way, because people would be upset to lose their hybrids that they spend a long time on.

What would be neat now is if they DID let flowers and crops die in the winter (unless they make ones that would be realistic to be alive in the winter, but I don't think any crops coming up are), but to compensate add in a greenhouse. Putting crops and flowers in your greenhouse in the winter would make realistic sense. Also, I bet people could do really creative things with it as far as decorating goes. Heck, people who have no interest in flowers or crops could even use it as another space to decorate however they want.

Yeah, I’ve also been thinking how nice a greenhouse would be. Ideally with a shed to just bulk-store flowers in as well!

I don’t need everything to be realistic, but plants not just surviving winter, but being planted that time of year is just immersion-breaking to me. Despite it being a really long wait, I’m not going to get into farming until the snow melts again (late February, I think?).

I think the idea is nice on paper, but the flowers living through winter helps with the bland white background that lasts a while. Unless we get some special crystal flowers to grow, but unless they have colors, the color absent environment of the game could be a discourager for some people.
Some games have certain crops grow in winter to help with the crop issue so players aren't stuck with a lack of income or supplies during the winter month. AC already has a decline in bug catching in winter. So it isn't as ideal to start a new game of AC in winter because bug catching is faster than fishing.
I do hope the next animal crossing game will have a greenhouse for at least storage for flowers and shrubs. Shrubs as they are only bloom certain times of the year.

I’m annoyed that they aren’t rereleasing the welcome amiibo cards. There are so many cards I want (like Hopper and Sylvana for example) but can’t find anywhere for a reasonable price. I finally managed to snag one for Vivian (still overpriced at $11 but whatever) but it was never delivered today even though it said it was (no one came to the door to deliver it & it wasn’t in my locked mailbox) :’ )

like the new amiibos are GREAT and all, but I’m upset they didn’t rerelease the welcome amiibo cards or give them new cards.

I’m also angry about how they handle their amiibo cards in general too. It bugs me how easily they get scalped. I like get why they do it this way, but for something that’s usable in-game and even more helpful for HHP it really pisses me off lol

I’m annoyed that they aren’t rereleasing the welcome amiibo cards. There are so many cards I want (like Hopper and Sylvana for example) but can’t find anywhere for a reasonable price. I finally managed to snag one for Vivian (still overpriced at $11 but whatever) but it was never delivered today even though it said it was (no one came to the door to deliver it & it wasn’t in my locked mailbox) :’ )

like the new amiibos are GREAT and all, but I’m upset they didn’t rerelease the welcome amiibo cards or give them new cards.

I’m also angry about how they handle their amiibo cards in general too. It bugs me how easily they get scalped. I like get why they do it this way, but for something that’s usable in-game and even more helpful for HHP it really pisses me off lol
Yea I was really hopping they would rerelease the welcome amiibo cards. Have you tried eBay for getting cards. I just got some from a seller there. Hoppers card was 2.87.

Back