• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Texture of Cookies 🍪

i like crispy but i have no preference on how thick it is, i’ll eat any cookie.

I like them the same way your mom likes them! Thin, crispy edges, chewy center. Mine always turn out kinda soft, thick and cakey and I don't like it.
Sometimes over stirring can make them thin.
Mom's always turns out thin. But I think she leaves the butter out over night which makes them thin out more in the oven because the dough is already warm.

Not creaming the butter and sugar well enough will keep cookies from flattening along with accidently using too much flour via not measuring right. (I read)

Hope this helps.

Chocolate chip should be soft and gooey. Most other I like to be thin and a little crunchy.

Sometimes over stirring can make them thin.
Mom's always turns out thin. But I think she leaves the butter out over night which makes them thin out more in the oven because the dough is already warm.

Not creaming the butter and sugar well enough will keep cookies from flattening along with accidently using too much flour via not measuring right. (I read)

Hope this helps.
Oooh thank you! I also read that the amount and kind of sugar used makes a difference in if they spread and how much. I typically don't have brown sugar in the house so that might be why.

Dang, now I am craving cookies ^^

chewy cookies are the best. i don't mind hard ones but i'd take soft and chewy anytime!

Soft and chewy is the only way to go. The only exception I've found to that so far are those storebought iced oatmeal cookies, I love those so much despite the fact that they are super crispy.

This is totally dependent on the cookie!
For snickerdoodles, they absolutely must be just undercooked in the middle. Slightly crispy on the border, and chewy (not soft. Just chewy) in the center.
There are other nutty cookies (like mexican wedding cakes) that must definitely be chunky/crunchy
Palmier cookies should be flaky
Lace/Florentine cookies should be mostly crispy with just a little bit of chew factor
But when I have a molasses cookie, a nice soft pillowy cookie can sometimes be just right!

Soft and warm are BY FAR the best! I don't like barely being able to break the cookie in half, and I don't want it crumbling in my hand.

Home-made chocolate chip cookies and sugar cookies absolutely must be soft and chewy. I think store-bought chocolate chip cookies like Chips Ahoy are okay only if they are dipped in milk. Oreos must be dipped in milk or left out in the open to get stale because when they get stale they get soft :love:

But honestly a hard chocolate chip cookie offends me.

soft and chewy in the middle (bonus points if it's warm!) but i do appreciate a tiny bit of a crust or crunch on the outer edges. i don't like cookies that are just hard throughout. which is what sometimes happens if i attempt to bake from scratch....sadly enough LOL

Back