• LIVE A gaming event as part of The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 is currently being livestreamed on TBT's Twitch channel here -- spectators who chat on Discord can earn points too!
  • TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Super Nintendo - Nintendo Switch Online

jefflomacy

Bells
Purple Feather
White Rose
White Pansy
White Lily
Red Tulip
Red Lily
Red Cosmos
Yellow Cosmos
White Cosmos
Red Balloon
I didn't see a thread about this, so can we get a general discussion thread going about this? What are you playing? Are there any games released currently that you have never played that you will now that it's on the Switch?

I am currently playing Yoshi's Island, about to finish it (on level 6-7 at the moment). I also wanted to use this thread to take a moment to talk about how great this 1995 platforming game is. If you haven't played it before, I highly recommend this game. The last time I played this game, I could barely read, but I did finish it. I suppose that tells you a lot about the game and its controls--they are intuitive enough that you can learn them without reading any of the tutorial text in the game. In the text of this game, I did manage to find a (not that well hidden) blurb of text from the developers:
TtoYenh.png

The full text reads: "We, the Mario team poured our hearts and souls into creating this game for your entertainment. It is full of secrets. Enjoy!"

The art style in this game is also great, although the number of backgrounds is somewhat limited and the soundtrack is small, if compared to a game like Donkey Kong Country 2 or 3. That being said, every piece of the soundtrack is iconic and memorable, as is all of the art in the game. I think it could easily be argued that Yoshi's Island is one of the best platforming games ever made.

This paragraph has game spoilers:
The next bit of information I discovered when re-playing this game is that you can defeat the piranha boss in one hit. The developers anticipated someone would do this because when you do, Kamek exclaims "OH MY!!!" and flies away. Here is a YouTube video of someone doing it:

The next game I think I will play is Kirby's Dream Land 3, because I have very limited exposure to Kirby games in general and I never played this one. And speaking of Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3, I would really like to play these again if they can make it onto the SNES Switch app. What about you?

Last edited:
I LOVE YOSHI’S ISLAND!!!!

So many childhood memories

When my switch lite comes in I am 10/10 replaying that game

It is indeed a fun game. I will say though, one thing I forgot to mention in the OP is how hard it is to actually 100% this game and get the bonus levels. I have never seen any of the bonus content in this game because the collectibles are challenging to get. The stars run away from you and vanish, so if you miss them, you have to start over. This would have been something to do back then when there wasn't a frequent stream of different games to play, but I don't foresee myself wanting to get all of the collectibles now.

Totally agreed. There’s too many games to enjoy again to do such a thing ^-^ though I may be tempted to do so anyway if I get bored or something.

First time I played Yoshi's Island and tried completing it at 100% there were like 3 levels that really frustrated me, one of them was "Poochy Ain't Stupid". 🔥_🔥 The less I say about that level, the better.

But I really liked the game still. The music was really good, too. I downloaded the whole thing. I thought Yoshi Story (which I still like) or the DS version would capture that same magic.

Nope.

I haven't set any time aside to play anything on the Switch for what seems like a bit over a week now so I can't say I'm currently, actively playing it, but I started up Demon's Crest on the first day that they added the Super Nintendo games to the Nintendo Switch Online service. I'm not the best at platformers so, when I do play, I get a whole lot of use out of that rewind feature.

Years back, I saw the game and it's predecessors Gargoyle's Quest and Gargoyle's Quest II reviewed on a YouTube channel I've watched for a long while and they've always piqued my interest since they seem so unique. I was actually thinking about plunking down the money to purchase it on the Virtual Console, but thankfully they added it here. I'll still need to grab Gargoyle's Quest II though.

Last edited:
For anyone interested, Nintendo has finally begun selling the Super Nintendo controllers for Nintendo Switch Online users:
https://snesc.nintendo.com/super-nintendo-entertainment-system-controllers

I was initially very interested in getting one of these. However, I've already put 20 hours into the SNES game collection (15 on Yoshi's Island, about 5 on Kirby's Dream Land 3 so far). I have gotten comfortable with the joy con D pad at this point, so I don't think I will be buying one. Of course, the pro controller's D pad is a better experience than the joy con, but I prefer playing in handheld when possible.

The SNES collection is really exciting for me, there are so many games on that system I haven't played. Right now I'm deep in Yoshi's Island, F-Zero, and Super Metroid.

I don't have Nintendo Switch Online. But now, with SNES games added, NSO is actually starting to look like a decent deal.

Gonna start playing Yoshi's Island soon, it's been years since the last time I played it. Also gonna try out
the Kirby games, as I never played them before. I'm really glad over the fact that Nintendo finally added
something different than those NES games. It refreshing. Maybe one day they add some N64 games too...

I'm about halfway through Kirby's Dream Land 3. As I don't have exposure to other Kirby games, I can't really comment on how it compares. I did however play Kirby's Dream Course and Kirby's Avalanche as a kid, but both of these are spin-off titles. Regarding Kirby's Avalanche, Tetris Attack (Panel De Pon) was a better game and I hope it comes to the Switch selection. Kirby's Dream Course is a fun game but frustrating at times.

Been playing F-Zero and Yoshi's Island. I am just waiting for them to put Earthbound and Super Mario RPG on the service.

Yoshi's island is probably my favourite game ever! It's so cute, with brilliant game play in all versions across the series and most importantly, nostalgia. I own every yoshi's island game or equivalent (such as yoshi and pooche's woolly world) Yoshi is just the best and always will be in my eyes :) If it's yoshi, I'm in

Is Yoshi Island on the Switch online memebership or did you pay for it? I don't see it.

Is Yoshi Island on the Switch online memebership or did you pay for it? I don't see it.

I double checked to make sure they didn't revoke it. It is on the Nintendo Switch Super Nintendo Entertainment System app. Its art looks like this:
Yoshi%27s_Island_%28Super_Mario_World_2%29_box_art.jpg

I double checked to make sure they didn't revoke it. It is on the Nintendo Switch Super Nintendo Entertainment System app. Its art looks like this:
Yoshi%27s_Island_%28Super_Mario_World_2%29_box_art.jpg

OHHHHH. Duh. Thank you. I just recently got my switch. I didn't realize there was nintendo and super nintendo to download.

Back