• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Super Mario Maker Course Sharing & Feedback Thread

Here comes the feedback for Ganon's Tower, Playtime is Over! and all of the Jetix's uploaded levels.

Ganon's Tower - PuffleKirby21

The level isn't too difficult to clear if you know how to deal with the simple challenges in there, yet somehow the clear rate is around 10% last time I checked, which makes the level appears on Expert 100 Mario Challenge, as opposed to Normal. Maybe part of it has to do with the forced boss fight sections, but those aren't really a bad thing. Maybe it also has to do with a few issues I encountered. Which are...

- The Podoboos in the main hall can easily catch unsuspecting players by surprise, and there's no indication where they actually are until they see them. Some visual clues on where they might be (e.g. course blocks indicating where in the X axis are) would help the player memorizing these obstacles.
- The Thwomp corridor has one Thwomp that's a bit too close, which forces the player to bait it to fall and then start running to deal with the rest of them. When I came across to another staircase of the same room, the camera didn't show there were more Thwomps before I crossed the staircase as fast as I possibly can and therefore got hit by the first one of the second batch. Perhaps removing the first Thwomp on both batches would help alleviating the problem. Otherwise, this section is pretty simple.

I do have to admit that the visuals are very fitting the mood the stage is going after.

Playtime is Over! - adrino
The stage plays more like of a tight action and puzzle platformer, but not overwhelmingly difficult for me to figure out on what to do in every portion of the stage.

The stage does assume the player knows a lot about how the assets in Super Mario Maker engine works in order to progress, which might explains the very low clear rate. Not a bad design choice, but it's definitely a turnoff for those who don't quite have the puzzle-solving mindset and patience, which constitutes a lot of the players.

The most interesting section of the stage but also the most difficult is the cave room. Here, we got to free the Koopa Clown Car with Magikoopa's magic beam, but having him to aim at the proper angle involves quite a fair bit of trials and errors that might take a good chunk of time. We then had to bop the once-freed Koopa sitting on the flying vehicle and have the Thwomp riding on it, which again requires trials and errors to get the timing right. Then, lead the Thwomp just below the top of the green ceiling platform and spin jump on it.
Oh! And don't forget the spring, or the player might lock out of the win just because they didn't see the impassable ledge beforehand. Thankfully, the checkpoint alleviates part of frustration, but not completely.

I did failed a lot on the part with the Bill Blasters wall-jumping, because I thought ground pounding on the top of one of them would be easier than simply wall-jumping with a consistent rhythm (which prevents them shooting any Bullet Bill), but the NSMBU physics is a bit too finicky to pull that off with ease for some reason.

The rest of the stage is easier as the next few puzzles let me do so at my own leisure, and finally proceeded to complete it.
Overall, the stage is worth playing for the cave puzzle alone. I had a blast figuring out what to do.

Every Jetix's level

Yes, I played every level you uploaded so far. I get that you're excited trying many of the unique assets that Super Mario Maker has to offer. The game's user-friendly interface and the endless possibilities certainly has you enticed in the world of many user-created levels. However, I didn't really enjoyed playing them. The overall experience on every single level of yours ultimately felt shallow for a few reasons:

- Reliance on enemy spam as challenge: Not only you have a tendency of spamming enemies, but you also used large variety of enemies, which made certain sections more of a "luck-based" affair and render your level unrecognizable among the crowd. Your very first uploaded level ever suffers heavily from this problem, therefore making it more of a luck-based affair than promoting some gaming skills. Thanks goodness it's also very short and I could beat it with a Lakitu's Cloud to cheese the entire level. The enemy spam is toned down in the subsequent levels, but they still pose problems. If you don't know how that's a very bad level design, the very first Mary. O's official course has you covered and I dare you to love it. Spoiler alert: you'll either quit or lose many lives even before you clear the stage.

- Reliance on poor use of Damage Boosting as challenge: Damage Boosting involves taking a hit in order to get through obstacles. There were some instances on your levels where this tactic becomes the most efficient way, if not the only way to get through the toughest sections. The stretch between the angry Wiggler and the final door in Fire Flower Castle, along with the Boo Buddies section of Yoshi's Airship rely on this trick, but they don't really promote actual skills and feels like a wasted opportunity.

- General lack of effort for level design: At the risk of sounding like I was being too harsh on you, I didn't feel that your levels were actually finely crafted. The aesthetics often felt average if not subpar in some cases, certain sections are being too tight for no reason whatsoever, Cape Mario being able to fly over the entire subarea of Yoshi's Airship. And there are more cases of rushed level designs that managed to make me cringe. With these problems in mind, I believe you didn't took very long to create a level, but getting most of them to upload might have taken more time than you initially thought and possibly died a few times during the upload process.

I'll give you some advice of my wisdom. Since you have a tendency to throw too many ideas on one level, therefore easily getting lost in the translation. There's not one idea that seemed to stand out among the crowd. I suggest you try to pick an idea or two, and limit yourself to a few course elements you'll actually ever need to achieve that purpose. That will help you to make your levels seem more focused and possibly fun if you manage to place these course elements in a strategic way. Remember, the fun factor is the most important, while difficulty should come in second.

Also, take care of polishing your levels once you've set everything else in stone. The more care you poured, the better your level will be perceived when players get to play. It can be fine-tuning the sections to make them more fun for anyone who would stumble on your levels, it can be making the level more aesthetically pleasing to our eyes.

Did you considered having your siblings, parents and friends on testing your levels before you upload them? You'll be surprised on how many design oversights you might spot when they get to play your levels and you also have an added bonus of receiving feedback among your peers. Do take their advice in consideration when optimizing your levels and you'll end up with a more enjoyable level.

I also saw that you played my levels, which I really appreciate. Yet, none of my levels received any star from you, therefore making me concerned about your preference. While it's understandable that some of my earlier levels aren't exactly up to my current standards, I swear that I actually spent a fair amount of effort on fine-tuning my levels to ensure they're fun and rightly challenging to a wide variety of players. So, I went to your starred levels and played some of them. A couple of which ended up being star-worthy because I feel like they're actually fun to play and don't feel like to be a waste of time based on my preferences.

Keep in mind that if you star well over 100 levels, the older ones will be removed from that list, but you can star them again. You could also write down the ID of your favorite levels somewhere or even download them to your heart's content. It's best not the use the star system as your "favorite", but more like of a "Like" button. No need to be stingy with the stars, since no level can be perfect for every type of players involved, but there's bound to have some good time, especially when you're looking at the right places.

Whew, I wrote quite a lot here. I hope my feedback is useful enough to enhance your Super Mario Maker experience even further!

I finally got around and played the levels that AkatsukiYoshi and JasonBurrows posted tonight, but I'll be providing feedback later this week. I've got other things to do, too!

Hey thanks! ^_^ Did you by chance play the version with or without checkpoints? I deleted the one without checkpoints, but its clear rate was higher than the one with checkpoints before I deleted it. :|

Hey thanks! ^_^ Did you by chance play the version with or without checkpoints? I deleted the one without checkpoints, but its clear rate was higher than the one with checkpoints before I deleted it. :|

I haven't played the one without the checkpoint. Was the checkpoint really the only thing you added the latest version? If that's the case, the level shouldn't be any harder. There's probably more players who strives to complete your level, or they may be less skilled to deal with the same exact obstacles than we do.

I think I made my Training in the Monado Arts too hard. (well one section anyways) I was going to update that course, but let's see if I get the feedback I am expecting for it first since you already played it that is.

I haven't played the one without the checkpoint. Was the checkpoint really the only thing you added the latest version? If that's the case, the level shouldn't be any harder. There's probably more players who strives to complete your level, or they may be less skilled to deal with the same exact obstacles than we do.

There were a few small changes but nothing that should make the level easier or harder (besides the checkpoints.)

40D7-0000-00EF-0B74 - Submitted By Matty
C954-0000-00D2-9C48 - Submitted By Matty

Alright, the feedback I got to give to JasonBurrows and AkatsukiYoshi are there.

Levels made by JasonBurrows in general

I cleared all of your levels from the very first to your latest and found a few of them were actually worth starring. I don't have much to say here, except for a few particular level design decisions that are good or bad and your most recent level, which is my least favorite among the bunch. I'll start with the bad ones.

Most of your levels involved waiting for something to go away before I could proceed to the next area. A good example of that design is in the third level, which involved a lot of waiting due of the way the Grinders are positionned. The level itself is short, but it still feels so long that I eventually decided to Damage Boost my way to skip the waiting in my subsequent playthroughs.

Speaking of the third castle level again, I've also noticed that the third section of Grinder with the conveyor belt and the set of ? blocks on rail are misaligned due of the way the game handles spawning as you advance to the right. And there are a few ways to make sure they'll be correctly aligned no matter how fast the player goes. A vertical line of track is guaranteed to ensure the objects placed in there will move the way you intend them to be. The doors also work for that purpose, as they reset back to their original placement, just like my synced Jumping Piranha Plants in my level called Twisted Plants EVERYWHERE! v1.1.

Your latest castle level I played sounded like it would be a good level, but there's so much wrong in this one I can't even call that good, not just because of the forced waiting sections.
There are occasions I can get completely stuck because I did the "puzzles" the wrong way, such as accidentally dropping a trampoline on a 2-blocks wide passage and hitting an invisible block before the trampoline fell down to my grasp unless I brought a second one with me. The last one is pretty bad, as the only choices I had is to wait 450 seconds or so for the timer to kill me or just hit Restart to come back at the very beginning of the level. There could be at least some spikes or even a bottomless hole, so I could return to the checkpoint instead.
Thankfully, I can easily cheese the early portion, because it's possible to outrun the winged Chain Chomps and eventually reach the checkpoint. Even the large Piranha Plants are somehow blocking them!
Then, we have the P-Switch and spin jumping on Chain Chomp on Koopa Clown Car challenge. Due of the way the otherwise simple layout is conceived, I had a hard time spin jumping on it when didn't expected it to be more difficult to pull it off. The timing is pretty thin as a result. And even after I cleared this section, there's a trap that I couldn't see before and immediately landed on an previously unseen Grinder before I was even aware of.
I also checked the entire level by downloading it to my Coursebot, and I noticed there's a shortcut right at the beginning of the stage that sends me pretty close to the goal. I don't think it really needs to let us pretty much skip the entire level. It could be just a bonus room with worthy rewards or even a shortcut that could warp me to the checkpoint at best.

Basically, when creating a level that isn't aiming to be trolling the players, you should look for the places where a player might get stuck if something goes wrong. Also, you have to make sure the level guide the players where they should go to clear the level. Normally, there should have a reason why the player should wait. For example, if you have a section filled with pipes containning traps, you could force the player to waste enough time just for the upcoming challenge to prepare, such as making vertical jumps in the room before the challenge mandatory to progress even for those who rush through it.

To end this feedback with a more positive note, there's one level of yours in particular I'm actually enjoying the most. It's the one that has a giant Bowser being moved by a set of conveyor belts that sends him to his own demise at the end. At first, I thought I managed to get stuck on the POW block puzzle, but turns out I only needed two of them in order to get through it. How rewarding for such ingeniosity.

AkatsukiYoshi

Paths of Peril

If an Expert 100 Mario Challenger comes across this level, they might be thinking they're in for playing Russian Roulette style of luck. Thankfully, that isn't the case, as it'll only affect on how difficult and rewarding their journey will be. In my playthrough, I ended up only picking the easiest routes out of the bunch until the very end of the stage, which was my only opporturnity for a powerup. Surprised that I didn't got hit by any of the obstacles as I approached to the goal.

Overall, it's a pretty solid and enjoyable level!

Training in the Monado Arts

I know that one section you're probably be thinking about, in which I'll mention that later in this feedback.
So, the challenges are inspired by Shulk's Monado Arts in Super Smash Bros. 4.

Speed has you Leeroy Jenkins through bunches of enemies with a star, which is something that anyone won't have any trouble whatsoever as long as they don't dare to commit suicide. A bit wasteful of a section, considering on how much harder the rest of the stage is. It could be easily made into a Sonic-esque speed platforming. So much opportunity wasted.

Jump is a pretty tricky one, due of the fact that timing your jumps on trampolines are a bit finicky to some players. And we have to jump on the red Koopa Paratroopas as well. The section is pretty much all or nothing affair, as one misstep will send you back at the beginning of the level. Since I was pretty good at Super Mario Maker and had a bit of luck, I managed to survive without any problem in one go.

Defense has you go through a few enemies. It seems the best way to get past this section is to defeat Goombas by luring them to the left and jump on them. The only ones that have to be avoided are the 2 Spinies and 2 Koopas to some extent. Did got hit by the first Spiny because jumping with the super-low ceiling, but managed to survive nonetheless. Don't see where it could be improved as of now.

I hit the checkpoint for what is possibly the most disappointing and infuriating section of the stage, the Buster section. I think this is pretty much the only section I got decimated, and that happened around 10 times because of that one seemingly frame-perfect jump.
The early half of that part consist of Hammer Bros and Magikoopas. It's possible to avoid them just by running and jumping, which is certainly better than just fighting them anyway. When I arrived near Bowser, the difficulty spike ratchets up way higher than even the Jump section.
In the latter half of the Buster section, there's 3 blocks containing a Shulk costume, which is pretty much telling that this isn't going to be a pushover. There's a pipe that constantly spawns Buzzy Beetles ready to be launched at Bowser. I first thought that I have to damage him this way, but it takes forever to do so. He spams a lot of RNG flames in a consistent manner and keep jumping like a child on a trampoline, since he's confined in a room he couldn't get out. Even if he's gone, there are cannonballs to deal with, and they're placed in a rather fiendish way. Which kinda make the fight pointless, because I could just Damage Boost through the section and save me a lot of trouble, hoping that I get that very specific jump done right to fit in a very tight hole that leads me to the another warping pipe. Because the conveyor belt rolling away from the pipe, fitting in the hole is impossible without the tricky jump, I have to be jumping at a specific distance and hold the jump button for a very specific amount of milliseconds. Here's a picture on how I did it, with the gray course block denotating when I should press the jump button.

jBSOcIE.jpg

Yup. For me, that section seemed to be more luck-based affair than anything really challenging.

If I had a Star, I could fit in the tight hole with a lot more of ease. But that could break the point of the Buster challenge, which we were supposed to bust stuff. It needs to be reworked to be more on par with the overall stage's difficulty.

Buster section frustrations aside, we're moving on the final challenge, the Smash. Now, this one is fun. You actually have to break the course blocks with Bob-Ombs. It doesn't even matter if you defeat the giant Bowser, which he's still as agitated as an angry child. While there's a pipe that constantly respawns Shulk costumes, dodging the RNG flames is still pretty intense due of so many close-call moments I've gotten. And after that, I'm now really feeling it.

This stage had a potential to be an enjoyable one, yet it is ruined by that one particularly annoying section at the Buster challenge. Glad that I didn't end up busting my GamePad out of agony this time around, as I'm controlling my rage better than in the past. Since the Xenoblade Chronicles games are known for providing intriguing scenery at every possible opportunity, it definitely could use some helping of aesthetic prowess to make the stage look more visually attractive. I can't help myself but this level kinda reminds me of the Mechonis in some fashion due of the SMB1 airship theme being used...

Breaking through to Bowser's Lair

I'm not a fan of the plentiful of Magikoopas (along with the bigger ones) warping around with a lot of possibility of RNG screwing me while I try to break off the vertical walls. I could use shells to get through the majority of the section, but still. It's possible to actually get stuck if I end up defeating too many Magikoopas. So I quickly gave up, even though I didn't appear on the list of players who came across this stage. I downloaded the level just to see what the rest of the level is about, and the sub-level contained typical boss fights I've seen too many times before, save for Bowser being completely stuck that opens a gamut of possibilities to humiliate him. Funny at first, but I'm not really missing that much of a deal either way.

That's it for the feedback I've got so far. I'll be playing more levels later this week.

Last edited:
Alright, the feedback I got to give to JasonBurrows and AkatsukiYoshi are there.

I cleared all of your levels from the very first to your latest and found a few of them were actually worth starring. I don't have much to say here, except for a few particular level design decisions that are good or bad and your most recent level, which is my least favorite among the bunch. I'll start with the bad ones.

Most of your levels involved waiting for something to go away before I could proceed to the next area. A good example of that design is in the third level, which involved a lot of waiting due of the way the Grinders are positionned. The level itself is short, but it still feels so long that I eventually decided to Damage Boost my way to skip the waiting in my subsequent playthroughs.

Speaking of the third castle level again, I've also noticed that the third section of Grinder with the conveyor belt and the set of ? blocks on rail are misaligned due of the way the game handles spawning as you advance to the right. And there are a few ways to make sure they'll be correctly aligned no matter how fast the player goes. A vertical line of track is guaranteed to ensure the objects placed in there will move the way you intend them to be. The doors also work for that purpose, as they reset back to their original placement, just like my synced Jumping Piranha Plants in my level called Twisted Plants EVERYWHERE! v1.1.

Your latest castle level I played sounded like it would be a good level, but there's so much wrong in this one I can't even call that good, not just because of the forced waiting sections.
There are occasions I can get completely stuck because I did the "puzzles" the wrong way, such as accidentally dropping a trampoline on a 2-blocks wide passage and hitting an invisible block before the trampoline fell down to my grasp unless I brought a second one with me. The last one is pretty bad, as the only choices I had is to wait 450 seconds or so for the timer to kill me or just hit Restart to come back at the very beginning of the level. There could be at least some spikes or even a bottomless hole, so I could return to the checkpoint instead.
Thankfully, I can easily cheese the early portion, because it's possible to outrun the winged Chain Chomps and eventually reach the checkpoint. Even the large Piranha Plants are somehow blocking them!
Then, we have the P-Switch and spin jumping on Chain Chomp on Koopa Clown Car challenge. Due of the way the otherwise simple layout is conceived, I had a hard time spin jumping on it when didn't expected it to be more difficult to pull it off. The timing is pretty thin as a result. And even after I cleared this section, there's a trap that I couldn't see before and immediately landed on an previously unseen Grinder before I was even aware of.
I also checked the entire level by downloading it to my Coursebot, and I noticed there's a shortcut right at the beginning of the stage that sends me pretty close to the goal. I don't think it really needs to let us pretty much skip the entire level. It could be just a bonus room with worthy rewards or even a shortcut that could warp me to the checkpoint at best.

Basically, when creating a level that isn't aiming to be trolling the players, you should look for the places where a player might get stuck if something goes wrong. Also, you have to make sure the level guide the players where they should go to clear the level. Normally, there should have a reason why the player should wait. For example, if you have a section filled with pipes containning traps, you could force the player to waste enough time just for the upcoming challenge to prepare, such as making vertical jumps in the room before the challenge mandatory to progress even for those who rush through it.

To end this feedback with a more positive note, there's one level of yours in particular I'm actually enjoying the most. It's the one that has a giant Bowser being moved by a set of conveyor belts that sends him to his own demise at the end. At first, I thought I managed to get stuck on the POW block puzzle, but turns out I only needed two of them in order to get through it. How rewarding for such ingeniosity.
Thanks for the review. :)

I will keep that in mind for future levels.

Last edited:

AkatsukiYoshi

Paths of Peril

If an Expert 100 Mario Challenger comes across this level, they might be thinking they're in for playing Russian Roulette style of luck. Thankfully, that isn't the case, as it'll only affect on how difficult and rewarding their journey will be. In my playthrough, I ended up only picking the easiest routes out of the bunch until the very end of the stage, which was my only opporturnity for a powerup. Surprised that I didn't got hit by any of the obstacles as I approached to the goal.

Overall, it's a pretty solid and enjoyable level!

Training in the Monado Arts

I know that one section you're probably be thinking about, in which I'll mention that later in this feedback.
So, the challenges are inspired by Shulk's Monado Arts in Super Smash Bros. 4.

Speed has you Leeroy Jenkins through bunches of enemies with a star, which is something that anyone won't have any trouble whatsoever as long as they don't dare to commit suicide. A bit wasteful of a section, considering on how much harder the rest of the stage is. It could be easily made into a Sonic-esque speed platforming. So much opportunity wasted.

Jump is a pretty tricky one, due of the fact that timing your jumps on trampolines are a bit finicky to some players. And we have to jump on the red Koopa Paratroopas as well. The section is pretty much all or nothing affair, as one misstep will send you back at the beginning of the level. Since I was pretty good at Super Mario Maker and had a bit of luck, I managed to survive without any problem in one go.

Defense has you go through a few enemies. It seems the best way to get past this section is to defeat Goombas by luring them to the left and jump on them. The only ones that have to be avoided are the 2 Spinies and 2 Koopas to some extent. Did got hit by the first Spiny because jumping with the super-low ceiling, but managed to survive nonetheless. Don't see where it could be improved as of now.

I hit the checkpoint for what is possibly the most disappointing and infuriating section of the stage, the Buster section. I think this is pretty much the only section I got decimated, and that happened around 10 times because of that one seemingly frame-perfect jump.
The early half of that part consist of Hammer Bros and Magikoopas. It's possible to avoid them just by running and jumping, which is certainly better than just fighting them anyway. When I arrived near Bowser, the difficulty spike ratchets up way higher than even the Jump section.
In the latter half of the Buster section, there's 3 blocks containing a Shulk costume, which is pretty much telling that this isn't going to be a pushover. There's a pipe that constantly spawns Buzzy Beetles ready to be launched at Bowser. I first thought that I have to damage him this way, but it takes forever to do so. He spams a lot of RNG flames in a consistent manner and keep jumping like a child on a trampoline, since he's confined in a room he couldn't get out. Even if he's gone, there are cannonballs to deal with, and they're placed in a rather fiendish way. Which kinda make the fight pointless, because I could just Damage Boost through the section and save me a lot of trouble, hoping that I get that very specific jump done right to fit in a very tight hole that leads me to the another warping pipe. Because the conveyor belt rolling away from the pipe, fitting in the hole is impossible without the tricky jump, I have to be jumping at a specific distance and hold the jump button for a very specific amount of milliseconds. Here's a picture on how I did it, with the gray course block denotating when I should press the jump button.

jBSOcIE.jpg

Yup. For me, that section seemed to be more luck-based affair than anything really challenging.

If I had a Star, I could fit in the tight hole with a lot more of ease. But that could break the point of the Buster challenge, which we were supposed to bust stuff. It needs to be reworked to be more on par with the overall stage's difficulty.

Buster section frustrations aside, we're moving on the final challenge, the Smash. Now, this one is fun. You actually have to break the course blocks with Bob-Ombs. It doesn't even matter if you defeat the giant Bowser, which he's still as agitated as an angry child. While there's a pipe that constantly respawns Shulk costumes, dodging the RNG flames is still pretty intense due of so many close-call moments I've gotten. And after that, I'm now really feeling it.

This stage had a potential to be an enjoyable one, yet it is ruined by that one particularly annoying section at the Buster challenge. Glad that I didn't end up busting my GamePad out of agony this time around, as I'm controlling my rage better than in the past. Since the Xenoblade Chronicles games are known for providing intriguing scenery at every possible opportunity, it definitely could use some helping of aesthetic prowess to make the stage look more visually attractive. I can't help myself but this level kinda reminds me of the Mechonis in some fashion due of the SMB1 airship theme being used...

Breaking through to Bowser's Lair

I'm not a fan of the plentiful of Magikoopas (along with the bigger ones) warping around with a lot of possibility of RNG screwing me while I try to break off the vertical walls. I could use shells to get through the majority of the section, but still. It's possible to actually get stuck if I end up defeating too many Magikoopas. So I quickly gave up, even though I didn't appear on the list of players who came across this stage. I downloaded the level just to see what the rest of the level is about, and the sub-level contained typical boss fights I've seen too many times before, save for Bowser being completely stuck that opens a gamut of possibilities to humiliate him. Funny at first, but I'm not really missing that much of a deal either way.

That's it for the feedback I've got so far. I'll be playing more levels later this week.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I expected that response for the Buster section. After seeing my sister and neighbor playing that section, I realized then that I made that section too hard. My ideas with the cannons was to prevent people from just rushing through it, but instead I see I did the exact opposite. I was going to remake the problem sections in the stage in the future. I never played a Xenoblade game actually, so if anything looked like a reference from Xenoblade it was just by luck. My creation was based on the arts itself.

Look at this: [...]

It sure is impressive feat to perform a combination of frame-perfect timings, very tricky puzzles (often with a very very few solutions), almost no safe zone until the very end of the stage, along with the lack of checkpoints and savestates.

For the reasons I've mentioned, it doesn't sound like I would enjoy this extreme Kaizo type of level. I could theoretically clear the stage since I could figure out what to do, but all the fails I would accumulate because the level design requires such insane amount of dexterity add up too many times before I can beat it. I've got better things to do than to mindlessly waste days to beat this type of the stage.

Let's give this thread a well-deserved bump.

Since the Super Mario Maker Bookmark Portal is going to be out very soon and doesn't seem to let us search by name and course's ID, I'd like to add a few more steps.

You'd want to also specify the game style, the main area's course theme, the region, the difficulty, the associated tag and the date said level was uploaded. These aren't required by any means, but it'll raise the likelihood that I'll end up finding your course, as it'll allows us add levels to play even when we aren't at home yet. And that's without having to type Course ID everytime I want to play a level I find in this thread.

Last edited:
Actually, the 1.30 update is finally out and I discovered a much better way to use Super Mario Maker Bookmark.

Turns out that we don't need to specify anything else than the Course ID, as we can use the following link and replace the Xs part by the actual Course ID:

Code:
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

Let's say that I want to add Eggman's Airship of Doom to my bookmark, so I can play it when I come back from home. The Course ID I'm looking for is "5B81-0000-0050-A5C0". The link would look like this:

Code:
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/5B81-0000-0050-A5C0

Now I won't have any excuse to skip whatever level that gets posted in this thread.

Actually, the 1.30 update is finally out and I discovered a much better way to use Super Mario Maker Bookmark.

Turns out that we don't need to specify anything else than the Course ID, as we can use the following link and replace the Xs part by the actual Course ID:

Code:
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

Let's say that I want to add Eggman's Airship of Doom to my bookmark, so I can play it when I come back from home. The Course ID I'm looking for is "5B81-0000-0050-A5C0". The link would look like this:

Code:
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/5B81-0000-0050-A5C0

Now I won't have any excuse to skip whatever level that gets posted in this thread.

Haha you are doomed!

I finally played some more levels made by TBT users, and here's some of my feedback.

https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/EDC0-0000-0127-2D4F
I just wanted to make a level with stuff from the new update.
Don't hate me for it please. ;_;

I went ahead and beaten the level. There's not much to say about that short level filled with winged Para-Beetles and a few bumpers, but it thought it was pretty fun and didn't took too much of my time. Though, the hitbox of the giant Para-Beetle is deceivingly short in NSMBU game style, which was the reason I failed on the goal post twice in a row.

40D7-0000-00EF-0B74 - Submitted By Matty
C954-0000-00D2-9C48 - Submitted By Matty

The first code leads to a level called "Mommy I still can't do it", while the other leads to "Mommy I can't do it". And I beat both of them. By the looks of it, I might be that son's greatest father. I'll start by the latter.

For some odd reason, I enjoyed "Mommy I can't do it" quite a bit. Sure, there's some shade of troll-ish level design, but the traps aren't overly annoying to deal with, as we could often work around them. Everything is straightforward and easy to figure out what to do, despite the level having a few occasions of blind jumps and often requires very accurate movements. Keep in mind that it might poses a lot of problems to anyone who's not a Mario veteran, and there's a lot of those players than the veterans.

"Mommy I still can't do it" on the other hand, isn't fun. It basically have the same philosophy of level design as the previous level I tried, but the level just doesn't feel as polished as the other level.
As soon as I reach close to the second Grinder, it's possible to have the one or two of the flying course blocks de-syncing when they get too far away from the screen. It doesn't make the yellow platform impossible to reach, but that flaw could quite easily make the wait longer than it needed to be. I did waste many seconds in order for the course block and platform to sync perfectly enough to make the leap. Also, that semi-solid platform is floating. It could be easily fixed.

There's no consequence on Damage Boosting through the segment of firebars and spikes, as there is another powerup that could be easily reached in no time. The Sledge Bros. has a Lakitu cloud that players could potentially be used to skip every section before the checkpoint, along with some Damage Boosting through the obstacles as Fire Mario. It is still possible to get through these sections without the cloud, but the blue platform section requires such a strict timing that anyone couldn't usually overcome on their first attempt.

Everything after the checkpoint is easier to deal with, aside from a few problematic level design decisions. The section with the Thwomps and firebars is confusing at first. Instead of passing the firebars loyally, I figured out it would be easier to cheese the section by having the first Thwomp destroying a few blocks and spin jumping at it after it fell and hope for the platform from below to be accessible before the firebar gets me. Once again, the synchronization issue arises and make the firebars moves in an inconsistent manner. I had to rely on that loophole to get around this section. Oh, and didn't I mention that going in the right leads to an inescapable Schmuck Bait trap without anything that can kill Mario? Once trapped, I could wait for 400+ seconds to respawn at the checkpoint, but I'd figured out it would be faster to hit the Restart button and go back to the very beginning of the stage. Yes, the Pause menu doesn't let you immediately restart to the last checkpoint. I guess cheesing my way to the checkpoint was an intentional level design decision.

Otherwise, the rest of the stage is about smooth sailing, as we reach to the end. And by the way, don't put any of the laughter sound effect next to the pit and on Mario. Falling in the pit with that sound effect applied takes around 2 extra seconds before the death jingle plays.

Overall, I don't recommend that stage. There's nothing really special that makes it worth trying with all of the aforementioned flaws I came across. At one point in the playthrough, I could've ended up exiting the stage before I could complete. I would totally skip this one in 100 Mario Challenge.

Here are a couple of courses I made. My newest one is Buzzy Beetle Barrage. 0065-0000-0127-6100 I like spiky parabuzzies so it's fun to make courses with them. My brother helped me upload it. lol

Another course I made is Have some Death! 9CF7-0000-0102-15D6 This one has an autoscrolling part. I made a second version of this to add a checkpoint, but I still think it needs something. I'm not sure what though.

I just got this game today, and I made my first level - 6636-0000-0134-2341

...Ignore the terribly uncreative name I gave it haha

It's meant to be hard, but it might not be that hard because I changed a few things before uploading it because I kept on losing lives >_<

I also left a little secret in the level...

Let me know what you think :p

Here are a couple of courses I made. My newest one is Buzzy Beetle Barrage. 0065-0000-0127-6100 I like spiky parabuzzies so it's fun to make courses with them. My brother helped me upload it. lol

Another course I made is Have some Death! 9CF7-0000-0102-15D6 This one has an autoscrolling part. I made a second version of this to add a checkpoint, but I still think it needs something. I'm not sure what though.

Buzzy Beetle Barrage

At first, I thought that the fact you couldn't beat this one to upload it is a sign that level might be too difficult for players to beat. To some extent, that turned out to be true, but I didn't exactly struggled much since I'm experienced enough. It's often a matter on landing dead-center on top of each Para-Beetle. The hitbox of the large Para-Beetle can be pretty deceiving, regardless of the game style.

What you've done with the first level you posted is a step to the right direction about how focusing on an idea will often end up get you more of the idea. The first horde of Para-Beetles is basic, but it works. It has you to jump from one to another to make your way to the first checkpoint. The section after the checkpoint has you raising these creatures coming out from pipe to overcome obstacles that would otherwise plummet Mario down to his doom. The barrage after the 2nd checkpoint is basically the same idea as the very beginning of the stage, this time they're bigger and supposedly easier to land. It does feel a bit redundant, so either shortening the stage or throwing something new to the table would make the level less of a drag.

Considering this level is a bit on the long side, I felt that the safe spots are rare. It means that if I were to dawdle a bit too long on any area other than the section with pipes spawning Para-Beetles, it'll make the stage unwinnable. Consider using the doors to respawn them if you give the players more breathing room.

I really enjoyed the level, but there's still a lot of room for improvement.

Have some Death!

I went with the one that has checkpoint, so I'll assume the older version is quote-on-quote similar. The problem you had with the level stems from the fact that you threw too many ideas on one stage, something I'll explain later in this post, since this also applies to a good amount of levels posted in this thread so far.

At beginning, I was almost caught off-guard by the very fast autoscrolling right at the beginning of the stage. If I had more breathing room at the start, it would help a lot of players not to fail right after they begin playing the level.

Also, there is a room where there's plenty of Magikoopas on one screen. Them, along with plentiful of course blocks caused a lot of RNG mayhem with them cast spells and warp all over the place. It's a lot confusing, but I was thankfully fully equipped with Fire Flower and Yoshi, so I could get through the room without too much problem.

So yeah. It's not bad but it's also forgettable.

I just got this game today, and I made my first level - 6636-0000-0134-2341

...Ignore the terribly uncreative name I gave it haha

It's meant to be hard, but it might not be that hard because I changed a few things before uploading it because I kept on losing lives >_<

I also left a little secret in the level...

Let me know what you think :p

Hoo boy, those are the signs that the level might be poorly designed. If you struggle on beating the level, it's also the sign that many players who would stumble on your stage will often die too. But anyway, let's delve deeper into the level.

So, the level's called "My first stage :eek:", which made me very suspicious about some potentially level design quality in there. It turns out I was right.

The first screen I see is the ledge I spawn from, with a blue platform and coins forming a misleading arrow that leads to an immediate death trap. While it's just at the beginning of the level, people will definitely stop playing this one as soon as they see that. That's not even a challenge; that's memorization. It turns out you were supposed to have a running jump from the start point and do a blind jump off at the very edge of the blue platform. And the stage doesn't indicate where they should go.

Next up is a corridor of spike traps where they have to slalom between them to avoid getting hit, with a firebar at the end that expects them to be landed on. There's two problems with the layout that makes the stage more about memorization than challenge:

- Players can't predict where they need to land
- It's possible for the firebar to be sitting at the wrong position when the player lands on the block, because they didn't reached there at the same moment you'd expect them to; again, they can't see the firebar

The next section asks the player to perform a blind running jump on the yellow platform that's placed quite far from the stationary semi-solid platform, then hop on the stack of Koopas and land on the bridge. Alternatively, player could just wait for the winged Wigglers to fall down to their doom and then jump on one of them and reach the ledge, thereby skipping the whole section. It's far more reliable than doing the former method.

The burner and firebar section is also broken for a couple of reasons.
First, the firebars won't be at the same position as the other does because of the way the Super Mario Maker engine works with spawning stuff is quite weird. As soon as said object reaches on the "visible" area of the playfield, they will activate. This will make this section easier or harder depending on how they reach on the "visible" playfield.
Second, you can cheese the entire section by jumping on the top of the burners. Surprise surprise! You still have to avoid the firebars, but they don't pose as much threat as if you were below the burners.

Then, the path splits in two. One that involves picking the right door by pure luck or else you die, which isn't challenging at all. Another has you dodging the Hammer Bros., the Piranha Plants and the fireballs spit by them. The problem with the plants is that they spawn a certain amount of seconds after said pipe is visible on the screen. If you clear that section fast enough, they don't pose much threat, but you'd still have to perform a precise running jump (spin jump seems more efficient due of its lower jump height) from one Skull Raft to another.

Next up is the stacks of Galoombas that can be easily bypassed, along with 3 Bowser Jrs. that can be easily ignored, where the goal stands. The secret I found plays a simple remix of Gusty Garden from Super Mario Galaxy and leads directly to the axe.

The main problem of the stage is that it treats stage layout memorization as a huge part of challenge. That strips out the rewarding feel of the stage and has the players wishing they'd be done with the stage already rather than enjoying it.
You really want to know that the challenge is all about how to overcome whichever obstacle that gets in the way. Knowing the entire stage layout beforehand to win doesn't constitute as a challenge. That's memorization. In order to make the stage more enjoyable, the stage has to allow players to complete the stage in one try if they're skilled enough. Nobody knows your stage's layout beforehand, so forcing them to rely on blind luck for completing the stage on their first try can be a turnoff for a lot of players. That and the lack of focus of one idea or two made the stage not quite memorable for me, nor enjoyable.

After playing quite a fair amount of stages made by TBT fellows, I came into a realization on what could possibly be the most common level design thought process that often leads to making a stage feels bland in execution.

One important aspect that makes a stage so good is the emphasis on one idea or two, something that some level makers never thought considering when making stages. The more ideas you try to incorporate on one stage, the less memorable said level will become as the risk of lacking focus would exponentially increase. The levels that are touted to be very challenging often relied on a mishmash of a lot of ideas that almost never get expanded upon and render the level less recognizable for the player.

For instance, try limiting yourself to only a few course elements per course as needed and try to work your level design around them. You'll be surprised on how much you can do with them and possibly end up making a level that will be more easily remembered among players and offers a more challenging and fun level as a result.

As an example, I've made a challenging level called "Twisted Plants EVERYWHERE! v1.1" that restricts to spin jumping and Piranha Plants, in the hope for train the with some of the most important intricacies of spin jumping while still challenging players without being too demanding, assuming that they've mastered the basics of running, jumping and controlling Mario's momentum on a dime. It's not newcomer-friendly by any means, but it should provide a reasonable dose of challenge nonetheless.

Adding another example to what was said above, settling on a theme before creating a level has been an important step of level design for me. For instance, in one level, I settled on vines and piranha plants as the main elements around which the level and all its 'set pieces'/sections would be designed. Even the boss battle required you to climb vines to grab a p-switch which would then allow you to 'drop' the giant fire piranha plant that was blocking your exit (by turning the 'turn' blocks/yellow blocks it sits on into coins).

In a more recent level, I settled on moles as the enemy that all sections should highlight in some way. For instance, at one point, you are on a platform high enough so that you cannot see the two spined moles following you, but the tall red bill blasters on their heads stand over the platform, so you must duck to avoid their cargo and jump on the first to get over the second. Once you get through the door, you stand on a lower platform where now the spiked moles running on 'turn' blocks, and on which the bill blasters sit, can be seen, but of course now the bill blasters are too high to get past. That is when you will notice the question block with a p-switch, lowering the moles and their bill blasters enough so that you can again get past them. Since moles move fast, this whole section of the level feels intense.

Also, since I had moles in mind the whole time when making the level, the idea for this section came more readily to mind because, earlier in the level, I already had moles with regular height bill blasters on their heads, and knew I wanted to revisit the idea later on in a later section of the level. If I did not choose to focus on moles but kept all enemies in mind for the level, I ironically might have had a harder time deciding what to do with that section, and may have ended up creating something less distinctive.

Of course, I did not need to select a particular enemy for the level, but it is one possibility when selecting a theme. Other times a creator might choose to focus on highlighting certain 'mechanics' of the game (e.g., a level that utilizes 'shell jumps,' 'p-switch jumps,' or the many uses of the cape), or might have a particular subject in mind (e.g., a Christmas level, a 'tank level' (similar to one of the levels of World 8 in Super Mario 3), or a 'puzzle' (whether 'one screen' or not; in this latter type, the level creator may focus on utilizing puzzles while minimizing platforming, or more specifically difficult obstacles meant to kill)).

And of course you might combine themes, such as when, for one level, I had in mind 'garden' and 'propeller;' I made each section of my level look like part of a 'hanging garden,' and made each section utilize the propeller power-up in some way.

Last edited:
Twisted Plants EVERYWHERE! v1.1

WVW69ijEwK0IyDhuwp

In this level filled with jumping Piranha Plants, your spin-jumping prowess will be put to test. And once you beat it, consider that as a huge step forward for becoming a spin jumping champion.

This is a revision of "Those Twisted Plants EVERYWHERE!". Many changes in this level were made to render this one even more accessible and fun, while still retaining the original concept. The poor difficulty balance that plagued the early section of the older version is addressed, while making sure the spin jumping concept is properly introduced.
Edit: Just realized I actually cleared the more challenging version of your level, heh. Woot.

I don't mean this as a review, but there is a lot more I was interested in saying about the level, and couldn't fit in my Miiverse comment.

You know the part of the level which first drops the spring for you? I tried to take it up a vine (right of the two giant piranhas stacked on each other), and managed to soft lock myself, heh. I assume the vine was meant to show me what is above, which is a vine use I have employed before.

That said, really liked the level; very much enjoy using piranha plants, and I think they are used creatively here. I like that even the piranha that comes out of the coin block at the start of the level is not simply a troll, but to reveal a secret. I was even almost expecting another secret over the 1-up coin block (the ol' 'hide-the-real-secret-over-a-smaller-one'). My favorite part of the level, though, is definitely when I had to spin-jump over the giant winged piranhas from the pipes, and along those lines I think that feather cape secret was well placed. I also liked that it seemed I was rewarded with a valid alternate path if I made a mistake, instead of automatically killed or soft locked (I am thinking of the portion where you balance on small piranhas over spikes, which is a part of the level I ended up taking several times after falling).

For some reason it took me awhile to remember that you may place a spring under the piranhas to raise them; I initially kept trying to place it over them like you would a muncher, which led to a face palm moment. When I figured it out, realized what those coins next to the piranhas were trying to tell me.

The end of the level felt like the choices were multiplying, and I was initially a bit confused, but the whole while I was thinking I should probably get to the pipe at the very right (where those giant winged piranhas are that I have to balance on). Fortunately, that led me the right way.

Last edited:
Back