• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Splatoon Splatoon General Discussion (HYPE THREAD)

To be honest I completely agree and understand why the voice chat isn't an option for splatoon. Think of the cheer number of kids that will have access to the game and how infuriated they'll become when they start to get upset.

I, for one, would not be a fan of having to listen to whiny piss babies online lol it'd be like the new 3+ call of duty.

Yup i totally agree with Jarrad, but they could have made it for friend battles and only for your team, it might be handy to share what's happening in the battle field and give them information about the situation!

Is there anyone here who doesn't plan to really play online that much? I've never been a big online FPS guy so I more interested in the local aspects of the game. If this game is as focused on online multiplayer as much as COD and BF are then I probably won't buy it. Doesn't mean it will be a bad game, just that it won't really appeal to me.

Just hope the single player and local multiplayer options are extensive and offer a lot of replay ability.

I know there is a single player but I don't really know how in depth it will be. It's Nintendo though, so I expect the single player content will be good enough on its own (especially since I here this game is getting a ?25 price tag like Captain Toad and Kirby).
I would probably wait till it's released if you're only interested in the single player to see what everybody has to say about it. It would be annoying if you bought it for single player and it turned out to be nothing but a glorified tutorial for online.

I don't really play online games that much either. This just seems like one of the few exceptions I'll make where I'm looking forward to the online with my buddy more than the single player.

To be honest I completely agree and understand why the voice chat isn't an option for splatoon. Think of the cheer number of kids that will have access to the game and how infuriated they'll become when they start to get upset.

I, for one, would not be a fan of having to listen to whiny piss babies online lol it'd be like the new 3+ call of duty.

Mute player/Mute Lobby/Friends only

Problem solved.

Nintendo seem to be the only developer that don't realize that these are actual options that have existed for a long time now. Then again, they are behind the times with a lot of things.

So, Splatoon won't support any voice chat, yet the game could heavily benefit from the GamePad's microphone. They've missed a real big opportunity, as it's kinda inconvenient having a laptop with Skype (or any voice chat app) installed in it and taking up a portion of Internet's bandwidth.
???

Because if voice chat were in Splatoon, it would take up no bandwidth? I'd even go so far as to argue it would take up more, since you'd be listening to more people whining to you over the microphone.

Last edited:
???

Because if voice chat were in Splatoon, it would take up no bandwidth? I'd even go so far as to argue it would take up more, since you'd be listening to more people whining to you over the microphone.

I assumed that the Internet speed on Wii U is always capped unlike the computers, the latter of which not having any limit on how much data they consume in a second aside of the Internet bandwidth. Consoles in general never run more than one application at a time even when using a sub application. An application that is currently using Internet generally won't let us switch between applications, therefore making the Internet bandwidth consumption more consistent than a computer. As such, I've never experienced a Wii U that monopolized our entire Internet Connection, as computers often seem to take priority over it especially with its multitasking capabilities. There are some instances that can cause a computer to eat a lot of bandwidth, such as downloading anything from a torrent site.

its unhealthy how hyped i am for this like

MY STOMACH IS HURTING BECAUSE OF HYPE

I assumed that the Internet speed on Wii U is always capped unlike the computers, the latter of which not having any limit on how much data they consume in a second aside of the Internet bandwidth. Consoles in general never run more than one application at a time even when using a sub application. An application that is currently using Internet generally won't let us switch between applications, therefore making the Internet bandwidth consumption more consistent than a computer. As such, I've never experienced a Wii U that monopolized our entire Internet Connection, as computers often seem to take priority over it especially with its multitasking capabilities. There are some instances that can cause a computer to eat a lot of bandwidth, such as downloading anything from a torrent site.
Skype or Steam voice chat doesn't use that much bandwidth though. If you were to start camming you'd start to notice some (more) lag than usual. But if there were voice chat in Splatoon, the servers would have to carry all this voice data back and forth as well. That could lead to a bit of instability.

I understand why people are annoyed with it, but at the same time I understand Nintendo's decision. They want online to be enjoyable, and shooters are notorious for having teenagers yelling at each other about how much sex they've had with each other's mothers. Nintendo has strict rules on Miiverse, so I would hazard a guess that this kind of behavior isn't what they'd want in voice chat. Either that, or they don't want to deal with having a separate channels for audio chatting, which could possibly lag their servers.

Nintendo also just generally has pretty ****ty servers all around.

BUT THAT WON'T KILL MY SPLATYPE (splatoon hype! lol haha)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S P L A T O O N R U L E Z

So if the Octolings ended up being a secret playable character, would you play as them or stick with the Squidling? I think I'd stay with the Squidling since they don't look as strange.

So if the Octolings ended up being a secret playable character, would you play as them or stick with the Squidling? I think I'd stay with the Squidling since they don't look as strange.

Aren't they called inklings hon? Ahh well, i dunno for sure but i do know that this is going to be my first shooter!

Last edited:

Game Explain uploaded a video earlier and they talk about the game and show off some gameplay. Looking like it's gonna be pretty great.

Edit:

Actually just going to quote someone else from another site.

Previews:
GameXplain: "Splatoon looks great, controls well, and was a ton of fun"
GameSpot - "Does Splatoon Have What it Takes to be Nintendo's Next Big Game?"
Eurogamer: "Nintendo might just have made the most exciting online shooter in years"
GamesRadar: "Splatoon channels Super Mario Galaxy's inventiveness"
GameTrailers
Pocket-lint: "By jove Nintendo, you've only gone and done it again"

Videos:
Story Mode: Chapter 5 (60fps)
Story Mode: Chapter 3 (60fps)
Splat Zones: Warehouse map (60fps)
Story Mode: Chapter 1
Story Mode: Chapter 8

Last edited:
This gets me... bah. I'm all for Nintendo creating new IP. But a ink shooting game does nothing for me. I hope you like it, I'm not getting it.

I don't think this has been shared already, but GameSeek's currently giving an early bird discount on preorders of Splatoon! It's currently listed for ?25 with price protection guarantee. Click here to view!

Last edited:
I don't think this has been shared already, but GameSeek's currently giving an early bird discount on preorders of Splatoon! It's currently listed for ?25 with price protection guarantee. Click here to view!

Whooooa, really? I didn't see any option to pre-order it anywhere on there, though.

Sucks, because it's going to cost $59.99 here in the USA.

I thought this game was already out. I'm not really getting it though.

Whooooa, really? I didn't see any option to pre-order it anywhere on there, though.

Sucks, because it's going to cost $59.99 here in the USA.

It's the yellow-orange button on the righthand side of the page saying, "Preorder item today!" It's the PAL version they're selling so it will only work in Europe & Australia though.

Back