• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Splatoon Splatoon General Discussion (HYPE THREAD)

That. Was. AMAZIIIING!!! Definitely waking up at 5 am tomorrow morning to play the last session ;) I won most of my games, the closest one was 41-40.6%

Well that was fresh.
I ended up in first place every game for my team but one.
Gotta claim dat turf fast and have good positioning for team, think I went 7-3 (worst one being 12.6% to 69% aha)

I ended up in 1st or 2nd for my team nearly every match, and was continually with people who scored in the 200s ~ and someone DCd at the start of one round and got auto given 300 so Idk how they counted as less than no one in their matches. xD

And much like every game that controls with both analogue sticks I ran around either looking at the floor or the sky anytime I wasnt the roller. And yet I still scored in the 600s atleast each game, usually 800ish.

I ended up in 1st or 2nd for my team nearly every match, and was continually with people who scored in the 200s ~ and someone DCd at the start of one round and got auto given 300 so Idk how they counted as less than no one in their matches. xD

And much like every game that controls with both analogue sticks I ran around either looking at the floor or the sky anytime I wasnt the roller. And yet I still scored in the 600s atleast each game, usually 800ish.

Yeah I had gyro controls on the entire time because I didn't know I could turn them off so that was pretty interesting too.
Was using splattershot jr and that amazing bubble special that made rollers and gunners panic when they couldn't kill me. Usual score was 900-1000 (max I got was 1116~)

Was using splattershot jr and that amazing bubble special that made rollers and gunners panic when they couldn't kill me. Usual score was 900-1000 (max I got was 1116~)

I didn't use that because I didnt think it was going to be too good. How is it different from the splattershot?

Think it was + on the weapon select.
How'd you enjoy Splatoon? I lost just about every time and even killed myself at one point by falling through a grate into oblivion. xD BUT COLOURS AND STIMULATION!

Yeah, I finally found it when I went to go change my weapon. Hahaha.

I really enjoyed it and I thought it was a lot of fun! I lost a lot, too (won maybe 2 or 3 times). And I fell off Saltray Rig a lot, since I'm not getting the hang of the controls yet. I'm literally from the era of using the D-Pad and wii remote after that, so this is going to be a huuuuuuuuge change for me. Controlling that bloody camera was driving me insane sometimes.

But it was a fantastic time. I'm going to play it on stream tomorrow afternoon for kicks. Then my friends and folks can see how terrible I am at the game. : ) Though it's fun regardless. It just felt like everyone else was right at home with the controls while I struggled like hell.

Dang. That hour felt like 2 minutes lol.

Gameplay was very smooth. I had a connection error once during a match, and at the worst possible time with an 8 kill streak going on :(. The motion controls work surprisingly well. I usually dislike them and tend to avoid the option if I can, but these were very easy to adapt to.

I think I'll use the splattershot as my main weapon in the full game - unless there's something better that we haven't seen. I decided to try out the roller for one match and ironically my whole team were using rollers. Let's just say it did not end well... we were completely destroyed hahaha.

Now I'm bummed out since I won't be able to play during the next 2 sessions. :(

I didn't use that because I didnt think it was going to be too good. How is it different from the splattershot?

"Splattershot Jr fires faster, has shorter range, and uses less ink per shot. I also think it's spread is a little wider."
Stole that from someone else so maybe it's accurate?

lol i saw so many people just staring at the ground as they walked shooting at it- i murdered them

"Splattershot Jr fires faster, has shorter range, and uses less ink per shot. I also think it's spread is a little wider."
Stole that from someone else so maybe it's accurate?

Ah okay thanks, that sounds about right.

Yeah, I finally found it when I went to go change my weapon. Hahaha.

I really enjoyed it and I thought it was a lot of fun! I lost a lot, too (won maybe 2 or 3 times). And I fell off Saltray Rig a lot, since I'm not getting the hang of the controls yet. I'm literally from the era of using the D-Pad and wii remote after that, so this is going to be a huuuuuuuuge change for me. Controlling that bloody camera was driving me insane sometimes.

But it was a fantastic time. I'm going to play it on stream tomorrow afternoon for kicks. Then my friends and folks can see how terrible I am at the game. : ) Though it's fun regardless. It just felt like everyone else was right at home with the controls while I struggled like hell.

lol i saw so many people just staring at the ground as they walked shooting at it- i murdered them

Glad I wasn't the only one struggling to use my thumb. I think when I wasn't using the roller I didn't jump at all because my thumb was useless enough only having 1 job.
I mostly resorted to pressing Y a lot to make the camera follow me ~ atleast that was like the camera controls in Pikmin for me.

Also do we think each time slot is 2 different arenas? I'm hoping I'm not subjected to Saltray Rig again cause I still don't know where anything was there. The warehouse one suited me cause I could steamroll forward and not worry about turning until I hit the other side and then steamroll back. xD

Played the demo for nearly an hour and I now know that I've made a great choice on actually preordering it. The odd thing is, I won pretty much the first half of the matches while consistently placing second among my teammates, yet the latter half is posing me problems, especially when that warehouse level is involved. I was stuck with the Splattershot Jr. for the entire time, and some of my losses are attributed that I fell on a team with nothing but my weapon and most of the player wielding my weapon are playing a bit too conservatively.

I don't know how some of you guys are getting more wins than others. Is that because you often fell with better players than I did or what?

I don't know if it's just me, but I haven't seen anyone bring up the map feature yet.

I found it a bit difficult to pay attention to both the TV and the gamepad map during matches. The map contributes a fairly significant part to Turf wars, and often times my KOs were the only chance I had in glancing at the map - only to find an appropriate alley to jump to. I would really like to see them implement an on-screen map similar to MK8's.

Played the demo for nearly an hour and I now know that I've made a great choice on actually preordering it. The odd thing is, I won pretty much the first half of the matches while consistently placing second among my teammates, yet the latter half is posing me problems, especially when that warehouse level is involved. I was stuck with the Splattershot Jr. for the entire time, and some of my losses are attributed that I fell on a team with nothing but my weapon and most of the player wielding my weapon are playing a bit too conservatively.

I don't know how some of you guys are getting more wins than others. Is that because you often fell with better players than I did or what?

I had a really good team for the majority of the time. I usually came second or first, but the scores were always pretty close. Its probably just random who you get put with because they have no idea of our skill level :3 I think I won 7 out of my 8 games, although I think that was just because someone in my team had about 200 points (disconnected..?)

Well I played the roller and knew how to use it so...
The Saltspray Rig was my favorite of the 2. I fell down once, but I like the openness of it compared to the other one I forgot the name of.

I don't know if it's just me, but I haven't seen anyone bring up the map feature yet.

I found it a bit difficult to pay attention to both the TV and the gamepad map during matches. The map contributes a fairly significant part to Turf wars, and often times my KOs were the only chance I had in glancing at the map - only to find an appropriate alley to jump to. I would really like to see them implement an on-screen map similar to MK8's.
I get what you mean. I barely used my map at all, only to super jump the many times I died. As good as it is, I still think it would be better suited to the gamepad then taking up a portion of the screen.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Glad I wasn't the only one struggling to use my thumb. I think when I wasn't using the roller I didn't jump at all because my thumb was useless enough only having 1 job.
I mostly resorted to pressing Y a lot to make the camera follow me ~ atleast that was like the camera controls in Pikmin for me.

Also do we think each time slot is 2 different arenas? I'm hoping I'm not subjected to Saltray Rig again cause I still don't know where anything was there. The warehouse one suited me cause I could steamroll forward and not worry about turning until I hit the other side and then steamroll back. xD

Yeah the maps would change in the timeslots. I saw/heard somewhere that when the game comes out online, the maps will change every four hours, giving an alternative of two each time. Im expecting this to happen considering theres about an 8 hour difference between the slots.

I get what you mean. I barely used my map at all, only to super jump the many times I died. As good as it is, I still think it would be better suited to the gamepad then taking up a portion of the screen.
Don't get me wrong, I definitely like how they approached the whole gamepad situation. Even so, it was difficult to get around the arenas when... you have no idea where you're going haha. Sometimes I would move in a circle without realizing it and end up having to super jump my way out. The gameplay is too fast-paced to actually stare at the gamepad map and strategize. Perhaps it'll work better once we're all familiar with the arenas?

An on-screen map wouldn't have to be too large, just enough for the player to have a better sense of direction without wasting too much time.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I definitely like how they approached the whole gamepad situation. Even so, it was difficult to get around the arenas when... you have no idea where you're going haha. Sometimes I would move in a circle without realizing it and end up having to super jump my way out. The gameplay is too fast-paced to actually stare at the gamepad map and strategize. Perhaps it'll work better once we're all familiar with the arenas?

An on-screen map wouldn't have to be too large, just enough for the player to have a better sense of direction without wasting too much time.

Yeah I get what you mean. We just gotta get used to the maps ;) The first match I played I was so confused.... I was on the opposite half wondering where I was XD I didnt even think about looking at the map

Last edited:
Back