• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Spectre in the Study [SOLUTION POSTED]

I was so stumped on the photo puzzle!!!! I never would have gotten that, glad I gave up when I did lol.
I was afraid at how difficult overall this text-based game was going to be, but it was just the right amount of brain-rattling and fun! Thank you for taking the time to create this event @Mistreil :')

I was certain Pierre was a villager, but I didn't know his name, so I just searched "cat villagers"!

I had no idea what the song was, so I just looked up a list of all KK songs, and tried them one by one! I still don't know what the text clue about "NOW PLAYING K A N" means. 🤔

I couldn’t recognize the song played and had to play hangman and figure out what it was based on the letters given to us.

I had to look up all the K.K. Songs and tried to see what fit as the last word had an A and an N
This is what I did too! I tried for a while to listen to the audio to pick words out of, thinking those words maybe were the clues. Then gave up that and tried to play around with the name of the song as it appeared. Then it hit me given that the game said they were KK songs and figured it out form there using the method you did lol.

I was certain Pierre was a villager, but I didn't know his name, so I just searched "cat villagers"!

I had no idea what the song was, so I just looked up a list of all KK songs, and tried them one by one! I still don't know what the text clue about "NOW PLAYING K A N" means. 🤔
The ░▒ symbols were supposed to be like blocked out characters! So it would fill in like:
KAN
K.K.LAMENT

I did this as well. I was like "oh, it's that villager's name!" and had to look it up. I did try the other villager's name in the picture first lol.

After getting so frustrated with it I did come back and check this thread and seen the update that had been made, so I looked again and it all quickly fell into place.

In the process I learnt that Kan was the Israeli entry in the Eurovision Song Contest 1991 by Duo Datz. Kan in English means here.

Thanks for the game. 🥰

Oh I was never getting that. 😂

Somehow I worked that part out quite quickly but took forever to get Pierre! Thought it was referring to the deer (even though it didn’t fit in with the before the horizons clue!) and spent ages trying Zell who wasn’t even the right deer in the photo anyway😂

Thank you for creating this game @Mistreil! It was a lot of fun and probably my favourite part of the event☺

The solution has now been posted in the main post! This is just the "fast" path to getting the codes -- it ignores pretty much everything else.

Also some more fun notes:
  • The "eat" (or lick/taste) command was added because @Nefarious said he tried to eat the soil.
    I then proceeded to add flavour (heh) text to every item.
  • The "attack" (or punch/kick/hit) command was added because @Pyoopi wanted to punch the painting.
    I threw in the 'beat game' chain of commands for fun. I'm glad it was found!
  • @LaBelleFleur suggested the "tastes dustgusting" pun for the "eat dust" command!
    I couldn't think of a good pun for that one myself at the time.
    In hindsight, I could have made an "another one bites the dust" joke. Chute.
  • There were 116 different 'dialogues' in total. Some were a bit repeated, particularly for the clues based on whatever order you found them (e.g. if you solved the photo puzzle but not the music puzzle, the typewriter would have respond correctly.)
Thanks for playing, and... happy almost holidays?
I'm kidding, Halloween's never over.

I had so much fun with the game and later with the "eat" commands. I also liked that one. I was unable to get the first code for some mysterious reason (making Pierre sad), the typewriter was saying I had found both but it just didn't work, so I refreshed the game..
Capture.PNG

Post automatically merged:

Capitalization doesn't matter, neither does punctuation (e.g. KK LAMENT, k.k. lament, K.K. Lament should all work). Spaces between words did matter though: although I allowed "kklament" things like "kk _ _ lament" (where _ are extra spaces) or "k k lament" wouldn't work.

I also had trouble figuring how to write it so in the end, I just copy/paste the title from nookpedia or some site

Thanks for this event, staff! I actually had a lot of fun despite the game being short, I'm now curious to search for other text-based prompt games haha. I didn't try to eat or lick anything, but I'm happy there was some fun flavor text for trying to take the door and the desk LOL.

After I listened to the aircheck of K.K. Lament and relistened to the audio I could recognize it, but before that even though I'm pretty familiar with the song I wouldn't have been able to get it. Glad we had the K.K. _A__N_ to go off of!

I felt genuinely scared listening to the audio (which is why I didn't want to listen too much to it) and knowing that it was just audio from the Direct is funny to me

Took me a while to realize the soulution to the audio puzzle was K.K. Lament. Especially since I have Hornsby on my island. For the picture I kept typing Lopez then I finally tried Pierre

I Also had a good laugh because Yuka on my island gave me a typewritter when I visted my island after beating the game.

I listened to that eerie audio like my life depended on it (solved it pre-patch) and at first I was focusing too much on the voice talking in the background when really I should have been paying attention to the melody. After that I had a eureka moment ^^

Thanks for the fun game! @Mistreil messing around with different commands was so addicting, and that photo...actually did creep me out 👀👻 still life is scary.

So, the layout that I misunderstood was when we got the first code. It had the code shown and below it was talking about how one code was discovered so I thought it was talking about the code that was listed... instead it was talking about one of the half codes hidden behind one of the wall decor. So I was thinking the code for the coins was a half code attached to the golden coin code when it was actually two half codes completely separate from the golden coin code.

Back