• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Solio's villager plaza

Solio

So-called cynic
Bells
Hello. Yes. I like to draw designs for villagers from time to time.

I'm not that skilled with Digital Art, so don't expect any artpieces in here.
Still, I thought it could be fun to share some of my ideas with the AC-community here on Bell Tree's.
While I do draw quite a lot in my spare time, it's usually not Animal Crossing-related, so my activity in this thread won't be frequent.

My tools: Wacom Intuos Pro S with Photoshop Elements 15 ( no stabilizers, so squiggly lines ahoy)

💰 For the unlikely event that you actually like my mediocre stuff: I dont sell/trade my work. Too much of a hassle. I just wanna share.
✉ I want to remain free with what I draw and how I use my time, so I don't take requests.
💡However, feel free to make suggestions or share your ideas. Of course you'll be credited if I do decide to draw it.
💬 Critique is encouraged. Trust me, I can take it. Just be constructive and polite with your criticism and I'll gladly hear you out.

animal_crossing_villagers__bats_by_skallhati_ddv7m61-fullview.jpg

Bats have been a highly-requested species for villagers. Many artist have already tried their hands at it, so here's my rendition.

I designed a bat villager for each personality-type. Most of them are not based off of anything in particular. However, Natalie is based on a noctule bat and Petra on Honduran white bat.

Name origins

Nos: from Nosferatu
Petra: from Chiroptera the Latin name of the order bats belong to
Nilsson from Eptesicus nilssonii, Northern bat
Elisabeth: from Elizabeth Bathory
Natalie: Natalidae (funnel-eared bats) is a type of bats
Vlad: from Vlad II Dracul, the man that served as an inspiration for the original "dracula".
Carmilla: named after Carmilla, a female vampire
Desmond: derived from the Latin name of the common vampire bat.
animal_crossing_villagers_owls_by_skallhati_de71rad-pre.jpg

To differentiate the villagers from the special characters, I decided to go with a different base model, similar to how Harriet and Isabelle are different to the regular dog-villagers. This model is shorter and a bit more round than that of Blathers/Celeste, roughly the size of penguins. The "ears" are also a lot less pronounced.

I am always very cautious when designing an entirely new species, so the designs are rather subdued. They're mostly based of different owls. Here's some info about the various designs:

Talon, jock: Talon is the first owl I designed. The concept is loosey based on the Madagascan Red Owl, but takes a lot of liberties.
Minnie, peppy: Named after Minerva, the Roman goddess of wisdom, whose symbol is the owl. She's based off of the Little Owl.
Hugo, lazy: Name was chosen due to the phonetic resemblance to "hoot". He was designed to look sleepy. Not much else.
Noelle, snooty: Noelle is based on the Snowy Owl.
Palla, sweet ("normal"): Palla is based on a Barn Owl. Her name comes from "Pallas", a byname of the Greek goddess Athene, who is associated with owls and wisdom.
Ludwig, smug: Name was chosen randomly. His appearance is based on the Tawny fish owl.
Trix, sisterly: Her name comes from strix, a genus of owls.
Hubert, cranky: He is based on the great grey owl.

Last edited:
nice bats! It should be a thing in AC. Like what is taking Nintendo so long xD
To me Desmond is a cranky type because of his name and design

Thank you! I guess they already have so many villagers, they don't want to intruce many more to avoid a Pokémon-situation. That's my guess at least.
Desmond is the cranky, actually. So you are correct in your assumption. (The little icons next to their name indicate their personality-type)

Thank you! I guess they already have so many villagers, they don't want to intruce many more to avoid a Pokémon-situation. That's my guess at least.
Desmond is the cranky, actually. So you are correct in your assumption. (The little icons next to their name indicate their personality-type)
I didn't notice the icons until you pointed it out👀 You're welcome though! And who knows they might add new animal types in the AC game.

i would literally die for all of them omg. the next ac game better include some bats or else i will ✨cry✨

snsjsnnsnz fr though, you’re super talented!! can’t wait to see any more villager designs that you come up with :)

Halloween is fast approaching and I really wanted to design some villagers for the occassion and have done nothing so far! Oh no!
Anyways, before that, I designed another species for villagers: owls!
It's not entirely new, since we already have Blathers and Celeste, but I think it's kind of a waste to not us it for regular villagers.

To differentiate the villagers from the special characters, I decided to go with a different base model, similar to how Harriet and Isabelle are different to the regular dog-villagers. This model is shorter and a bit more round than that of Blathers/Celeste, roughly the size of penguins. The "ears" are also a lot less pronounced.

I am always very cautious when designing an entirely new species, so the designs are rather subdued. They're mostly based of different owls. Here's some info about the various designs:

Talon, jock: Talon is the first owl I designed. The concept is loosey based on the Madagascan Red Owl, but takes a lot of liberties.
Minnie, peppy: Named after Minerva, the Roman goddess of wisdom, whose symbol is the owl. She's based off of the Little Owl.
Hugo, lazy: Name was chosen due to the phonetic resemblance to "hoot". He was designed to look sleepy. Not much else.
Palla, sweet ("normal"): Palla is based on a Barn Owl. Her name comes from "Pallas", a byname of the Greek goddess Athene, who is associated with owls and wisdom.
Ludwig, smug: Name was chosen randomly. His appearance is based on the Tawny fish owl.

Halloween is fast approaching and I really wanted to design some villagers for the occassion and have done nothing so far! Oh no!
Anyways, before that, I designed another species for villagers: owls!
It's not entirely new, since we already have Blathers and Celeste, but I think it's kind of a waste to not us it for regular villagers.

omg trix............ i’m literally begging you to work for nintendo ;u;

You've got great taste in owls <3 I love seeing your villager designs! (I wish nintendo would take notes)
Palla is my favorite b/c she's a barn owl :3

Nilsson!! So cute. I love your owls too, such creative and diverse designs! I think my favorite is Hugo.

Back