Should i buy New leaf to help my depression?

I say go for it if you believe it'll help you. The game is definitely relaxing and calming whenever I feel overwhelmed plus it's enough to be a little bit stimulating if I'm feeling underwhelmed, and I feel it gives me a sense of control during times I feel like I don't (i.e. if I'm about to have a panic attack).

Last edited:
Yes! It's such a warm game. Makes ya feel a little less lonely, and keeps you busy. There's so much to do, and you end up really loving some of the villagers :) I'm making my town into a very tranquil forest, so no matter what I'm doing I feel peaceful

Nothing wrong with escapism - it's the basis that I'm making my own game from

But also nothing can replace therapy and medication, so be sure you're doing both

Last edited:
Speaking from someone with experience in both depression (the kind that just seems to happen randomly) & anxiety I highly recommend new leaf for someone going through a tough time like that. There are several ways to deal with depression like for instance something to distract you like a big, loud action game or something or you could go this route. Be a part of a town where you create bonds with your villagers & to a lesser extent all "special characters" as amiibo cards refer to them as. You really feel like you belong, feel loved, feel important. The more you socialize and get to know your villagers the stronger the bond becomes. The writing I think in this game is pretty well done all the villagers feel fleshed out and all have their wacky little things they do & things they say. This game is meant to be played on a long term basis as you won't see many of the fruits of your labor until your playing the game daily for a couple of months. It's relaxing, soothing, therapeutic, fun, exciting, addicting, cute, charming all characteristics of a game that you would want to see especially characteristics to help you feel better during a rough time.

Believe me when I say I know how you feel with depression & it sucks. Luckily I'm on medication now so it's not nearly as bad as it used to be. I would recommend the game regardless (even though I fully admit it's not for everyone) but would recommend it even more for people in our position. Pay the $20 and you won't regret it.

As someone who has manic depression/bipolar II/anxiety/ocd YESSS
especially on days where just getting out of bed is hard i love acnl because doing all of the daily tasks (fossils, ore rock, talking to each villager, brewsters, giving shrunk a fruit, buying furniture from nook/clothes from able that isnt in ur catalog) gives me a sense of accomplishment

I recommend it, it helps you calm down after a long day. Building your perfect town is also very fun, each day a little progress :)
If you'd ever like to play together with me (lonely T-T) just message me <3

Back