Should i buy New leaf to help my depression?

Olivercvh

Bells
Arcade Tokens
Hey there :D

So i have been wondering if i should buy Animal crossing: New leaf alot recently, and that's because i've recently discovered that i have Psychotic depression and Anxiety. I've played Animal crossing: City folk and i thought it was cool when i was little. But since i've started having depression and Anxiety i've wanted to play the newest game in the series. I'm just asking if it has helped someone with slimare issues :blush:

Soo yeah :D

Last edited:
Hey there :D

So i have been wondering if i should buy Animal crossing: New leaf alot recently, and that's because i've recently discovered that i have Psychotic depression and Anxiety. I've played Animal crossing: City folk and i thought it was cool when i was little. But since i've started having depression and Anxiety i've wanted to play the newest game in the series. I'm just asking if it has helped someone with slimare issues :blush:

Soo yeah :D

Yes. Actually I used to have it. I wasn't actually diagnosed with it but I was suicidal so...
Anyway, yes. I really do think it helps, the casual gameplay is very nice and easy on the mind, so I would not only recommend New Leaf, but also any casual games. I am really sorry to hear about it by the way. I'm sure you don't want me to say this, I didn't either, but if you need someone to talk to, you can talk to me, and of course anyone on The Bell Tree, it's a very nice, warm and friendly community :).

I totally understand what you're going through and Animal Crossing is definitely very helpful with this. It will take your mind off a number of things, and I definitely suggest playing with the sound on! It's very relaxing.

Last edited:
Yes. Actually I used to have it. I wasn't actually diagnosed with it but I was suicidal so...
Anyway, yes. I really do think it helps, the casual gameplay is very nice and easy on the mind, so I would not only recommend New Leaf, but also any casual games. I am really sorry to hear about it by the way. I'm sure you don't want me to say this, I didn't either, but if you need someone to talk to, you can talk to me, and of course anyone on The Bell Tree, it's a very nice, warm and friendly community :).

I totally understand what you're going through and Animal Crossing is definitely very helpful with this. It will take your mind off a number of things, and I definitely suggest playing with the sound on! It's very relaxing.

Oh okay, and i'm glad that you are better now, i just wanted someone to like tell me that it does help and that its worth it. And i'm so glad that i found this site, it seems like a really friendly and warm community.
And its nice to have someone to talk to, i've been home for like 3 days now just because i didn't feel like going to school because i don't want to have a Anxiety attack in my class again, but i guess it comes and go. I'm so happy that you responded :D I'm glad that i saved my money for a Nintendo and Animal crossing New leaf :D And yeah it seemed very relaxing in City folk but i feel like New leaf is even better ^^

Why not. If you have only one copy then I recommended you buy another one :) ACNL is anti-depression

Why not. If you have only one copy then I recommended you buy another one :) ACNL is anti-depression

Pretty much any video game is anti-depression. They're pretty great. Also ACNL is not too addicting that it'll consume your life either, so it's nice.

Absolutely - it has helped me through the worst of my depression and anxiety. I've been playing ACNL for four years and the Animal Crossing series for 11. For me these games are therapeutic - I'll always recommend them :)

I'm so happy to have another support system/game in my life, thx for the advice guys :D

Hi there :) Yes I think you should try it. It's a very relaxing game after a long day. I think the daily routine tasks like digging for fossils, fishing, beetle hunting, etc. are really calming and it helps me with my anxiety and stress.

Hi there :) Yes I think you should try it. It's a very relaxing game after a long day. I think the daily routine tasks like digging for fossils, fishing, beetle hunting, etc. are really calming and it helps me with my anxiety and stress.

Hey, i will for sure. :) And maybe we should play together sometime. :D

It is very much a relaxing kind of game, and if it touches a specific compulsiveness in you, it can be quite absorbing; maybe overly so, been playing for a few weeks straight consistently ^^; As someone who has been depressed, I'd say this game is a great fit to offset; the game is designed to make you feel homey in an unfamiliar setting.

Feel free to contact, or happily as I see plenty of the people above have already offered, myself or them if you have questions or need someone to talk to! c:

It is very much a relaxing kind of game, and if it touches a specific compulsiveness in you, it can be quite absorbing; maybe overly so, been playing for a few weeks straight consistently ^^; As someone who has been depressed, I'd say this game is a great fit to offset; the game is designed to make you feel homey in an unfamiliar setting.

Feel free to contact, or happily as I see plenty of the people above have already offered, myself or them if you have questions or need someone to talk to! c:

Thx for the advice, i just wanted to make sure that the game actually helps. :) Because i want to get better. :)
And its nice to hear that it helped you, and i wil contact you for sure if i need someone to talk to for sure, and the same goes for you :D

I would highly recommend it if you're not a perfectionist. A tip on not to become one is to not compare your town to someone else's. Once you do, you probably won't jump out of that pitfall any time soon.

Oh yesss!!!! I started playing 4 years ago, I'm not even that depressed and I love this game! Even though I'm done my town and I have everything I want in the game, I still play because it's awesome :D it's a very calm game too, you can do things at your own pace and make friends with the animals living in your town.

However, some small things that might trigger you (especially for someone that gets mad/sad easily):
-if you don't play for a few days, the animals in your town might move away!
-animals might move into spots you don't want them to, but you can avoid this by placing paths on the area.
-animals you don't like or think are ugly might move into your town.
-your good flowers might wilt, or you might trample them.
-earning bells can be a pain in the neck if you get them yourself (but thanks to this excellent website, you don't have to earn them yourself!)
-you might regret things, like placing your house in a bad spot, or forgetting a special event.

Most of these things are avoidable, though!

yes, absolutely. as someone who has dealt with depression for years, i would definitely recommend playing new leaf (or any other ac game really). it's really helped me when i've relapsed or when i've just had a bad day in general. it's just a really good stress-reliever overall tbh, even if you don't have depression.

Yes, ACNL is a destressor if you play it casually day to day. But I admit that I've gotten frustrated over it too when my favourite villagers move out or they destroy my flowers :p when you start, feel free to VM me if you want to play!

personally for me it helps a lot, it's a really nice quiet safe space and it's really relaxing and a good distraction. Also it gives you something to come back to day to day which helped me a lot as well.

Yes, ACNL is a destressor if you play it casually day to day. But I admit that I've gotten frustrated over it too when my favourite villagers move out or they destroy my flowers :p when you start, feel free to VM me if you want to play!

Thats really awesome, and i can imagine. I remember having some Animals in my old town in City folk, and when one of them moved out i was like ''Oh hell no'' xD Awwe thx for the offer i will differently do it when i get the game. :D

- - - Post Merge - - -

Oh yesss!!!! I started playing 4 years ago, I'm not even that depressed and I love this game! Even though I'm done my town and I have everything I want in the game, I still play because it's awesome :D it's a very calm game too, you can do things at your own pace and make friends with the animals living in your town.

However, some small things that might trigger you (especially for someone that gets mad/sad easily):
-if you don't play for a few days, the animals in your town might move away!
-animals might move into spots you don't want them to, but you can avoid this by placing paths on the area.
-animals you don't like or think are ugly might move into your town.
-your good flowers might wilt, or you might trample them.
-earning bells can be a pain in the neck if you get them yourself (but thanks to this excellent website, you don't have to earn them yourself!)
-you might regret things, like placing your house in a bad spot, or forgetting a special event.

Most of these things are avoidable, though!

Thx for the advice. :)

- - - Post Merge - - -

personally for me it helps a lot, it's a really nice quiet safe space and it's really relaxing and a good distraction. Also it gives you something to come back to day to day which helped me a lot as well.

I'm really glad to hear it. :)

- - - Post Merge - - -

I would highly recommend it if you're not a perfectionist. A tip on not to become one is to not compare your town to someone else's. Once you do, you probably won't jump out of that pitfall any time soon.

Haha i will watch out for those pit falls for sure don't worry. :p

Last edited:
ACNL is a good way to keep myself busy and not feel so depressed. The music and the really easy game play is just perfect for me. If you think it would help you, I definitely 100% say you should buy it if you feel that it would help. I support this decision.

Back