• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Serious Talk on Sex -Keep It Mature! description about a manga now added

Status
Not open for further replies.
This did make me think about dental dams though. They're something you can use while performing oral on a woman safely without catching STDs and STIs. I could be wrong but I don't think these are even discussed at school.

During my high school days, we had lots of heterosexual sex talks but they never mentioned gay sex? I mean I figured everything out on my own just fine xD but I just feel like they're leaving out so many students when they just focus on the heterosexual kids. I know when I was 16 I was very confused & I wish my school had been more open with gender & sexuality exploration. I bet if they did that parents would be like "OMGGG UR MAKIN OUR KIDZ GAY" sigh
Yeah, I really wish the sex education in the US was better. I never even had sex ed during high school, not that I can recall anyways.

I'd just like to pop in and say, as a high school freshman currently (who is in the US), we do have required Sex Ed. courses and my teacher keeps it real.
We also had a class in 8th grade which educated us pretty well, but in high school they go pretty in depth.

Last edited:
Yeah, I really wish the sex education in the US was better. I never even had sex ed during high school, not that I can recall anyways.
In the UK we barely got anything. Absolutely no talk of consent or contraception.

Funnily enough we get the drug and alcohol talks but that is as far as they want to go :")

I went to a Catholic high school and our sex education was pretty much about abstinence and there were stories of people who had sex and regretted it instead of saving their virginity. Health class barely touched down on it at all.

._.

I think we learned sex ed for like 2 days in P.E. during my freshman year but tbh I don't even remember. But then again my high school wasn't the best haha.

In the UK we barely got anything. Absolutely no talk of consent or contraception.

Funnily enough we get the drug and alcohol talks but that is as far as they want to go :")

I remember those drug and alcohol talks. Talk to frank? I'll give him a talking alright. -_-

I think we learned sex ed for like 2 days in P.E. during my freshman year but tbh I don't even remember. But then again my high school wasn't the best haha.

We had like one day when I was about 11 on puberty where they shoved (obviously not used) sanitary towels in our faces and 3 lessons in my first year of high school when we could ask our teacher anything (I mean anything) about sex but that was it, really.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I remember those drug and alcohol talks. Talk to frank? I'll give him a talking alright. -_-

We had this guy come in and do a presentation about "natural high" and how he gets that good old adrenaline rush off of performing and how doing what we love should constitute for substance abuse.

Funnily enough some people caught him smoking outside after that??

Edit: I found him http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Graham_(singer)

Last edited:
We had like one day when I was about 11 on puberty where they shoved (obviously not used) sanitary towels in our faces and 3 lessons in my first year of high school when we could ask our teacher anything (I mean anything) about sex but that was it, really.

It makes me mad how there's barely any sex education taught in schools (abstinence doesn't equal sex ed. ugh) yet people fuss about high teenage pregnancy rates. I wonder why that is? *sarcasm*

- - - Post Merge - - -

We had this guy come in and do a presentation about "natural high" and how he gets that good old adrenaline rush off of performing and how doing what we love should constitute for substance abuse.

Funnily enough some people caught him smoking outside after that??

Edit: I found him http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Graham_(singer)

Haha I hope he was smoking weed because that would be even better.

I had one health class during 9th grade, but the teacher was an inappropriate guy. He'd make fun of gay people and stuff (which he got in trouble for after other teachers found out and asked other students to anonymously tell them if they'd ever heard a teacher make inappropriate comments).

I think we just touched on the general anatomy of genitalia and HIV. Pretty disappointing curriculum since 14 years and older are appropriate ages to be learning about different STDs and symptoms, different types of protection, where you can get protection, etc. Because not only should the students learn about it, but those students can also pass on that information to their other friends who didn't take a health class.

I'm not sure if my high school's take on sexual health has changed since then, but I hope it has within the past years.

I had one health class during 9th grade, but the teacher was an inappropriate guy. He'd make fun of gay people and stuff (which he got in trouble for after other teachers found out and asked other students to anonymously tell them if they'd ever heard a teacher make inappropriate comments). .

Teachers get away with some pretty ridiculous stuff, trust me.

Maybe schools should teach about sex ed the Mean Girls way.

"Don't have sex. Because you will get chlamydia. And die."

I bet that curriculum would be just barely better than what we have now.

That's actually a pretty accurate description of sex ed in most places actually. :'D

Unrelated but this has been fun all, it's about time I get off for now. Have a good day/evening/night/what have you, everyone. :)

The only genuine teacher I have ever had was my physics teacher. She was incredible.
She told me that the reason a lot of the sensitive topics are never covered is because a lot of our teachers have had good upbringings and their morals are rather old fashioned so they don't believe topics like these are relevant to young people, or they just simply don't understand them.

Not sure if this has been posted but...

In the UK most counties offer something called a C-Card and they are a godsend to anyone under 25 (the cut-off age varies by county, mine is 25) who need condoms because with this you get them for FREE! Just search "C-Card" and your county and you should find a page which says where the nearest assessor is (e.g. mine was the family planning clinic in Colchester) and where the nearest pharmacy or doctor's surgery is that will accept the card. The system is slightly different in each county, some give you a small card in which you can tick off your preferred condom and lube types or others are a plain key fob.

I got mine after going to a FP to start on the pill and it has really been useful for me and my bf, either of us can use it but it does have a limit on how many times you can use it- I think mine is 12 times- but you just go back to your assessor to get a new one when you reach that limit.

Examples of the websites:
http://www.essexc-card.co.uk/index.htm (Essex)
http://c-card.areyougettingit.com/Default.aspx (Norfolk)
http://www.ccard-lincolnshire.co.uk/ (Lincolnshire)
Etc.

I hope this will be useful to someone!

It sucks how dense the school system is in regard to that too. You tell a bunch of kids/teenagers not to do something, what are they going to do?

Instead of trying to prevent something they should be educating it. "I'm not telling you to not have sex, but if you do, do it responsibly and know the risks."

But because they don't not only are people being misinformed but they're also experimenting without knowing all the risks involved.

It sucks how dense the school system is in regard to that too. You tell a bunch of kids/teenagers not to do something, what are they going to do?

Instead of trying to prevent something they should be educating it. "I'm not telling you to not have sex, but if you do, do it responsibly and know the risks."

But because they don't not only are people being misinformed but they're also experimenting without knowing all the risks involved.

That would be the best sex education to have. Especially one where they actually do teach about why it is important to use protection, how to use protection, and what could happen if you don't. It should not be just about abstinence or just about condoms, but really include both sides of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back