Same-sex marriage ruled a constitutional right by the Supreme Court 5-4

Sometimes I wish I was homophobic just so I could understand how people can be so bigoted. I just don't understand at all.

Oh thank God, I was worried Pat Robertson wouldn't have an explanation for the next natural disaster.

Oh thank God, I was worried Pat Robertson wouldn't have an explanation for the next natural disaster.

I'm going to predict that he'll make a drought prediction. The reason why I'm assuming that he'll predict a drought is because of that California drought. You may be aware that in the last two years, Califorina was in a drought much worse than the Dust Bowl. Coincidentially, that happened after the DOMA ruling, where Proposition 8 was nullified. In my personal experience, the drought has nothing to do with the Prop 8 ruling, yet some people blamed the drought on the ruling. As a result, I bet that Pat Robertson may lie about an impending drought being the result of this ruling.

Seriously, Pat Robertson isn't a good preacher of religion. God doesn't punish people, nor can mother nature over society's actions towards society.

I was so happy when I heard the news! I'm really excited for this and it's a great step in our society in the U.S.

Last edited:
Antonin Scalia, please retire already so you can stop embarrassing the Supreme Court. "Ask the nearest hippie." Seriously? You wrote that in a dissenting opinion? I guess sanity is not a requirement for being a Supreme Court justice.

I still don't get why people are against the ruling. Some people think it takes away freedom, but I think it adds freedom, at least to the gays.

On topic:

55887943.jpg

But I'm very happy about this. Christians can whine all they want.

That's not too fair to bunch in all the Christians together lol. I'm a Christian and I don't mind it being legal, it's not hurting me or anyone else.

I still don't get why people are against the ruling. Some people think it takes away freedom, but I think it adds freedom, at least to the gays.

i see why people are upset from a legal standpoint. lemme put it like this. since the supreme court essentially went around the 1st amendment to make it legal across the country rather than waiting for all 50 states to do it on their own, it shows that the government can go around the constitution.

you can still get fired in some of the states for being gay

I thought that wasn't an issue anymore tho? I heard that since it's a supreme court ruling, you could then turn around and sue claiming that the employer who fired you wasn't respecting your rights... @_@ If I'm wrong feel free to correct me, I'm not even American and I'm also not a lawyer so I have no real understanding of how these new laws work :p

Also if Australia could follow suit that'd be great - not that it'd happen with our current PM in power tho /grumbles

i see why people are upset from a legal standpoint. lemme put it like this. since the supreme court essentially went around the 1st amendment to make it legal across the country rather than waiting for all 50 states to do it on their own, it shows that the government can go around the constitution.

I was looking at the recent supreme court cases. The only thing I disagree with the supreme court this year is upholding the employer insurance mandate, which is both unnecessary and unreasonable. Still, granting rights to gays was the right thing.

Before this case, we actually did something like this before, but at a more serious extent. And every time the did it, I have to agree on those cases. If they are treating people unequally, they need to be forced to treat them equally.

Last edited:

The first amendment has nothing to do with the decision. Allowing people to marry other people of the same sex does not infringe upon anyone's religious freedoms. If you don't think it is moral to marry someone of the same sex, you are still allowed to marry someone of the opposite sex.

I thought that wasn't an issue anymore tho? I heard that since it's a supreme court ruling, you could then turn around and sue claiming that the employer who fired you wasn't respecting your rights... @_@ If I'm wrong feel free to correct me, I'm not even American and I'm also not a lawyer so I have no real understanding of how these new laws work :p

Also if Australia could follow suit that'd be great - not that it'd happen with our current PM in power tho /grumbles

No that's not what the ruling was about. It was for marriage equality. Getting fired for being LGBT is another issue that SCOTUS has not yet addressed.

The first amendment has nothing to do with the decision. Allowing people to marry other people of the same sex does not infringe upon anyone's religious freedoms. If you don't think it is moral to marry someone of the same sex, you are still allowed to marry someone of the opposite sex.

Well you're forgetting that many people in this country think that our nation was founded on Christian values and that we shouldn't go against what God says in the Bible (even though God says no divorce, no working on Sundays, no mixing crops in the same field, no putting two materials into the same piece of clothing like wool and cotton, etc etc). Others also think that marriage is a Christian thing since it's usually done in front of priest in a church. So they think that allowing LGBT people to marry ruins the "sanctity" of marriage (and yet somehow 72 hours marriages or 56 day marriages or being 4 times married doesn't???)

Last edited:
No that's not what the ruling was about. It was for marriage equality. Getting fired for being LGBT is another issue that SCOTUS has not yet addressed.

And hopefully, they will take care of that too.

Back