• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

recommend me a book!

Bells
Switch
3641-2793-6219
My Melody Easter Egg
My Melody Easter Egg
My Melody Easter Egg
My Melody Easter Egg
My Melody Easter Egg
My Melody Easter Egg
My Melody Easter Egg
My Melody Easter Egg
My Melody Easter Egg
My Melody Easter Egg
i'm having one of those weird motivational streaks where i do all my homework the day it's set, tidy up and decide i want to do some light reading, however any book i have i've read. please suggest me a nice story to read!
i like a bit of humour, a good plot and a longer read but no saucy times in it please (if you get what i mean, nudge nudge)

ooooh you should definitely read the miss peregrine's home series! they're funny, spooky, and exciting :D

I'm gonna recommend you the same books Moko recommended me: Forbidden Colors and The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea by Yukio Mishima. You'll be on an emotional roller coaster ride :)

I'm gonna recommend you the same books Moko recommended me: Forbidden Colors and The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea by Yukio Mishima. You'll be on an emotional roller coaster ride :)

I like you, really.

Also, if you can find it; Ryu Murakami's Almost Transparent Blue. It's probably one of my favorites, ever. And Iain Banks' The Wasp Factory.

Haruki Murakami writes really gorgeous novels - try The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle or Norwegian Wood. they both have very mild sex scenes in but they're not huge plot devices, the guy is really good at writing stories that feel otherwordly and magical. i'll give a trigger warning for the latter for suicide, there's a lot in it. Wind-up Bird is a good 600 of small font in length too.

more humorous is irvine welsh, but you'll have to get used to reading in a scottish dialect - at first it's tricky, but you'll soon get the hang of it. the most famous is trainspotting and there's only one maybe two mild sex scenes in it, but his style of writing and characters are fantasically funny if you don't mind foul language and drugs

Oh, yes Norwegian Wood. I need that book again dang it.

It's so good.

Oh, yes Norwegian Wood. I need that book again dang it.

It's so good.

same, i remember just reading the last 250 pages in one sitting and i can hardly do that anyway because of my poor attention span, it was just good enough to keep me hooked

Unwind by Neal Shusterman

+1 on unwind

and anything by neal shusterman is a must read, i love all of his stories. im reading everlost at the moment (which is also written by him) and its amazing

his books are an easy read imo, but that doesnt mean the plot and story itself isnt perfect

Last edited:
Best novels I've ever read:

Neal Stephenson - The Diamond Age
Jeff Noon - VURT

If you want non-fiction I can recommend a lot more :)

The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara. I am not fond of a lot of historical fiction/novels, but this one along with a few others that were written by his son Jeff Shaara I'd definitely recommend. This book and the movie adaptation of it (Gettysburg) were what got me really interested in studying about the American Civil War/history. The story is told from several different participants' perspective (third person); the way the author recreates the character in this work of fiction made it for me seem so believable that that's what the actual person was thinking or feeling during the battle and sometimes I'd forget that this was historical fiction and not an actual historical account.

since you've been gone by morgan matson and the lunar chronicles by marissa meyer

I really enjoyed reading the skulduggery pleasant series. A book that I'm reading right now by the same author is called demon road. I'm only a third through it but it's really good so far.

same, i remember just reading the last 250 pages in one sitting and i can hardly do that anyway because of my poor attention span, it was just good enough to keep me hooked

Yeah the whole book is awesome. I liked the film a lot as well, even though Rinko Kikuchi seemed like the obvious pick lol(she was wayy better in Babel tbh).

Read the 'Gregor the Overlander' series. The first book gets of slow but the end made me teary-eyed.

Back