• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Really weird glitched town?

alright i managed to get the pictures uploaded properly! Here they are. Enjoy

11828635_1599587093637193_3002708317259463344_n.jpg you can see the bushes and trees here too

11403075_1599587086970527_6872316703630223778_n.jpg
ahh what a beautiful garden

10443443_1599587090303860_7338590848909508012_n (1).jpg
Watch out

That is one of the coolest glitches I've ever seen, my god that looks so trippy.

Aside from me fangirling over this, I honestly think that something is damaged within the card itself, which may explain why the glitches won't show up for others in the dream town.

Honestly, I would personally keep it because it's so interesting to look at!

It is damaged though, if it's a used copy you can bring it in and get a new one, or just buy a new one. I've had corrupted saved but never saw anything like that before!

Wow, that looks so cool but weird!! It looks like the textures glitched/have been replaced, a game card issue.

Most probably a damaged cart. I bought the first Animal Crossing a few years ago before New Leaf came about, and the disc was cracked e.e

They have awful luck with Animal Crossing games.

Plus if it's just one certain area of the game looking like this, that points to damage. That data's broken.

I would take your friend and the cart back to Gamestop and show them what's up. I'm sure they'll give you guys a new copy so long as she still has her receipt and all that (or heck maybe without if the guy behind the counter actually cares, heh).

Last edited:
A few months ago I bought a second copy of ACNL from GameStop. I had seen other people get used copies and adopt out the villagers.

Right away I noticed things were "not quite right".

It wasn't as visual as yours, but it didn't feel right. The villager houses almost looked as if they were floating.

I returned it ASAP to GameStop.

If it's a defect in the cartridge it is only going to get worse. :(

From reading the thread, I have come to the conclusion that the cart is physically defective, but the only part that is messed up are the winter plant textures. That's it, but that may be why it was returned in the first place. (Those pictures, BTW, are AMAZINGLY trippy!)
The winter plant textures may not have been programmed in correctly... It may be a beta, made before those textures were made? IDK, you never mentioned the label looking off. It's probably just defective.
Is the cartridge chipped or cracked anywhere? Does part of the game chip look scraped off? Does the label (or the box, if it came with one) look...odd? It may be fake, or it may be defective, IDK. But telling us about the physical traits of the game itself will certainly be helpful in diagnosing your problems.

Last edited:
I've seen this before , people have had this issue a few times
It's a faulty game cartridge. The game should be normal and I doubt it'll corrupt or anything, just the graphics. Some go dodgy in manufacturing.
The same data is on the card just faulty graphics, that's why it looks normal on the dream down.

I forgot to mention something that ^Matt mentioned: It looks normal in dreams because we have the winter textures and you don't.

Yeah I think it might be too late to take it back to the shop but considering this only shows up in winter so most people wouldn't have even bumped into this problem for months anyway maybe they'll understand... Honestly, it's a real shame it's only visible to the player because otherwise I'd so buy it from my friend and make a robot town out of it haha. that'd be fun to visit in dreams and stuff. Also I couldn't find any physical damage on the card but im sure it's just faulty, maybe thats why it was sold to the shop anyway... I forgot to mention that when you dig holes it's trippy too, looks like a computer chip or something. I have more crazy pics I'll upload soon :)

Man it'd be cute if it showed up in dreams. imagine visiting a snowy computer town with ribbot and del and stuff in !

What I'm wondering is, the system should've refused to load corrupted data like this.

well I think what happened is this:

-the game cartridge is damaged and luckily only a part that affects the graphics of the game is affected
-so the textures that are used to make the plants look snow-covered are damaged, everytime the plants need to look like that, they show up glitched and weird instead
-it's only the graphics, so the way they function isn't affected at all
-if i went to another town that's in winter, the plants there would also probably be messed up too, because my game doesnt have the right textures to show
-the actual game save data is the same as normal, but the way some objects show up to my game cartridge is weird

so i think that it should work just fine to actually use, but it looks weird, but only to me. ... does anybody have a dream address set during winter time i can visit to see how it looks?

well I think what happened is this:

-the game cartridge is damaged and luckily only a part that affects the graphics of the game is affected
-so the textures that are used to make the plants look snow-covered are damaged, everytime the plants need to look like that, they show up glitched and weird instead
-it's only the graphics, so the way they function isn't affected at all
-if i went to another town that's in winter, the plants there would also probably be messed up too, because my game doesnt have the right textures to show
-the actual game save data is the same as normal, but the way some objects show up to my game cartridge is weird

so i think that it should work just fine to actually use, but it looks weird, but only to me. ... does anybody have a dream address set during winter time i can visit to see how it looks?
Don't want to get too technical, but every file in the game's data has a hash and that hash is checked. Maybe it depends on when the hash is actually checked.

Anyway, it's pretty much certainly the game's data and not your savefile, so there isn't much you can do about it.

Back