questions about villagers moving in/out

Bells
Holiday Candy Cane 2023
Baby Chick Easter Egg
Froggy Easter Egg
Pumpkin Glow Wand
Lucky
White Lily
update: finally got Clay to move out!! the quest for Ruby begins!

So I have Clay in my 2nd town and I would like to replace him with Ruby.

I've been time travelling to try and get him to move out but it hasn't worked so far (the technique I'm using is moving one month forward, then back, and every time someone asks to move, but he hasn't yet, for some reason I can't figure out - he wasn't my 10th move in)

I'm getting tired of trying to move him out and I don't own Ruby's amiibo card, I also haven't needed to move villagers in or out in years, and I was wondering what the changes were since the welcome amiibo update?

I know if you own a card and scan it, you can ask the villager in question from their RV to move in and that will make you able to kick someone out. Does this work in someone else's town? Like if I were to visit someone with Ruby's card, go to her RV, would I be able to adopt her even though I have 10 villagers and no one moving out?

sorry this is so confusing I'm bad at explaining ^^' basically I would like to know the mechanics of getting a dreamie after the welcome amiibo update, how people have been getting them since the update.

thanks for any help <3

Last edited:
Unfortunately it only works with Amiibo you scan yourself. :/

Like Khaelis said, you can only kick out a villager if you are the one that scanned the amiibo card yourself. Also, I don't think Ruby has an RV, and if she did you wouldn't be able to invite her from there. The person scanning her card would have to invite her into their town and then get her in boxes before you could ask her to move to your town. And you'd have to have 9 villagers or less.

I think the villager that asks to move each time is completely random. I'm sorry I don't know much about time traveling, but I think if you keep at it, eventually Clay will ask to leave.

I'm just gonna go in a mini rant here-

So the animals that have an RV are the 50 new animals, like Stella, Claude, Sprocket, Boris, June, ect... Animals prior to the update do not get an RV. The only way Ruby will kick someone out is if your town has 10 villagers. If you have 9, she'll just move in, not making anyone else leave.

For making Clay move out, I'd try to occasionally talk to him while still doing your method, since you've said it works for you. Sometimes animals will 'ignore' you and don't talk to you if you haven't talked to them. Of you gave the patience, become his friend. Friends are much more likely to ask to move out it seems. Weird but okay.

It is possible to adopt Ruby from another town, if you have 9 or 8 villagers. At ten, you can't adopt, even if one of your villagers is going to move out. If you are unable to do this, then you will have to plot reset for Ruby when a peppy is moving in town. That itself is a whole other guide, resetting for a certain dreamie of that personality. It's possible only at certain times, very tedious and you can't do it if you have 4 humans living in that town.

Thank you guys!
It hadn’t even occured to me that she wouldn’t have an RV but yeah of course it would only be the new villagers :/ I’ve been a little lost since the update and only started playing again very recently
Stella-Io thank you for your advice, Clay is one of the villagers I’m less close with so it might be why the others are asking to move more. I talk to everyone when I go back to the day in the past to make sure no one else is moving, so I’ll just try again and talk to him more until he does ask. It’s a very annoying system lol but I really want Ruby so I guess no choice!
I don’t know about that last method you mentioned, for now i’ll just keep doing it the old fashion way, and when he finally leaves I’ll look for Ruby in the villager trading plaza!

Thanks again ^^

update: finally got Clay to move out!! the quest for Ruby begins!

So I have Clay in my 2nd town and I would like to replace him with Ruby.

I've been time travelling to try and get him to move out but it hasn't worked so far (the technique I'm using is moving one month forward, then back, and every time someone asks to move, but he hasn't yet, for some reason I can't figure out - he wasn't my 10th move in)

I'm getting tired of trying to move him out and I don't own Ruby's amiibo card, I also haven't needed to move villagers in or out in years, and I was wondering what the changes were since the welcome amiibo update?

I know if you own a card and scan it, you can ask the villager in question from their RV to move in and that will make you able to kick someone out. Does this work in someone else's town? Like if I were to visit someone with Ruby's card, go to her RV, would I be able to adopt her even though I have 10 villagers and no one moving out?

sorry this is so confusing I'm bad at explaining ^^' basically I would like to know the mechanics of getting a dreamie after the welcome amiibo update, how people have been getting them since the update.

thanks for any help <3

Glad you figured it out :)

Last edited:
Sadly you can't get amiibo villagers to move from their rvs from other peoples towns. I'm sure there are some guides to help with moving out some villagers.

Back