• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

People that don't plot reset?

I haven't either, too much hassle and not enough time, the time I have I want to be playing & moving forward in the game.

Up to now I've been mainly lucky. But have started to put temp PWP where I definitely do not want a villagers house.
They can manage to squeeze into areas I thought would be too small - I lost a few pink roses once.
I keep rare hybrids & perfect fruit trees next to buildings or plaza areas. Plus hybrids also on the beach.

Once I've got 10 villagers in a town I relax a bit more - but I make sure I talk to every villager - up to now I've caught all the moving requests (sometimes its another villager that tells me someone is thinking of moving).

I plot reset always because one time I didn't and Tank moved his house in this spot and destroyed my orchard of different fruit trees, and I lost most of my different fruit as well as messing up my orchard in general.

Also I've been trying to build a bridge in this specific place, and villagers keep moving in there...so I now plot reset.
I messed up a few times, but its easy!

I'm not OCD enough to want it perfect, as long as they aren't messing up my plant and tree placement, as well as potential PWP areas, IDC where new villagers go.

Last edited:
I dont plot reset. But I observed villagers move in mostly where most villagers are or near your place.

That is why in the beginning I chose a map where villager houses are bunched up and set my house near that ares. All 10 villagers I have are bunched up except my 9th who lived far but didnt destroy an area.

Also if you dont plot reset... make an empty area and chances are villagers will move into said empty area. If your town is all filled up with designs and trees and flowers... chances are they will have no choice but to destroy an area.

Last edited:
I didn't know about plot resetting for the first nine months of playing. By the time I learned about it I had four characters with fully enlarged houses full of furniture and items. I was in the habit of "cutting my losses" by never having all my hybrids of one type in the same area, and I also used a few PWPs to keep houses out of a couple areas where they would really bother me.

Since coming online and learning more, I have created a second town. I have an extra character in that town that I can use to plot reset, but I've only done it once or twice. Even then I didn't try to find a perfect spot. I just made sure to avoid a terrible spot. I think I've been trained to go with the flow a bit more because I played so long without the trick.

I don't plot reset because I've had 4 characters in each of my 2 towns since day one (June 9th 2013). I put in PWP as quickly as I could where I really didn't want a villager to move into (bridges, ramps to the beach and in front of town hall). I have my hybrids in areas where villagers can't move into and I also have one of each kind of fruit tree in a protected area. So wherever my villagers decide to plop their houses down, I just deal with it by changing a bit of the path and rearranging some flowers. Octavian just put his plot down today on some white tulips. I just cleared out some more of the flowers and put a path to his house... no big deal.

I don't because I've never once had bad luck with a plot (although Camo IS a hermit now XD)

I've never bothered with plot resetting simply because I like going with the flow, and it'd force me to change things up a little. Even though I have 10 villagers already, my town is nowhere near completion, but I'm not super obsessive about it. I just work with what I have and try to make it as pretty as possible. :)

I never cared enough to plot reset. My town didn't really have anything major that needed to stay the way it was or would be destroyed if a villager decided to move in. I'm too lazy to plot reset and house placement just isn't a big deal to me. I just let villagers come and go as they please.

That's probably why my town isn't as beautiful as everyone else's towns. New Leaf is also the first game I ever used paths in

I plot reset now because I didn't like when they put their houses right smack in front of the town hall or my own house. Once you have their homes pretty well placed, they tend to stick within those areas which are near other villager homes and it's a lot easier.

Last edited:
I don't and it's the same with time travel. I like for the game to flow naturally. If a villager ends up in a awkward place, I just deal with it and shift my paths around to suit their new house.

I worked hard on my Critters town.I was horrified with some of the places villagers plots would have been if i didn't plot reset.I didn't even think it was possilbe for villagers to squeeze into some of these areas.One was extremely close to my train station and bulletin board.I'm not extremely picky about where they put their homes, but when you work hard on a park or special area, it really comes in handy.

I don't plot reset because it takes the challenge out of the game. Plot resetting to get exactly the villager you want and putting their house in exactly the perfect spot just makes the game too easy, IMO. Plus, I don't want to lose any of my dreamies.

I don't plot reset because 1. I am lazy and 2. Villagers have all picked awesome plots when moving in, so I don't really feel the need to. Whenever the time comes that a placement is super inconvenient, I'll just deal with it until I can convince them to leave... haha.

I don't plot reset because I actually love the feeling of wonder I have when I start the game! Today Marshal moved in and I was like "oh god please be a good spot... please be a good spot..." he moved right above the previous spot of a villager... it's kinda creepy actually, Marshal moved right above Frita's previous spot, and Fang moved to the exact same spot Scoot had... idk why o.o

Thank god they never went right into my hybrids/gardens/in front of bridges/in front of PWP... Mira ALMOST crashed my garden, but (don't know how she did it) her house landed just on the limit of the garden, she didn't ruin any flower at all <3

I plot reset all the time, I will not risk my life for a single villager to plot at the worst spot possible. I got all my dreamies and they were plotted in good spots thanks to plot resetting.

in my old towns I didnt plot reset and sometimes villagers moved into the worst locations! i plot reset in my towns now because its only a few minutes of work to get rid of the stress that move in locations can cause. :(

I used to not since I obviously did not know about it. But after I did I plot reset for all the villagers that moved in because I wanted my town to look nice. It is a pain and also tiresome though because all the new villagers I had to plot reset placed their houses near mine like no I don't want you guys here.

Back