Opinions on baby versions of existing characters

i think its a kind of lazy innovation,, if a character is a baby by default then it's okay, but if it's just a baby version of something, then i'd rather wish they add a whole new character instead.
i never see grandma/grandpa versions of characters around, and it'd be an interesting take instead of just infantilizing a character for the cuteness,, just my opinion though! they still are cute regardless .

I find them lazy, I rather see new characters. They're not even cute in my opinion, just baby versions of established characters.

I feel like baby characters just take up space in the character roster and are completely unnecessary. It's pretty much the same character anyways.

The only ones I like are baby versions of the princesses. Including Rosalina. The Mario bros look weird to me. I will agree that they’re unnecessary though.

Baby versions of things have always existed as a lazy marketing ploy, I.E, the Muppet Babies and the slew of other 'thing babies' that followed (Tom and Jerry kids, Yo Yogi, Tiny Toons). Even Mortal Kombat got in on the action with babyalities.

It only really bugged me when it started being a 'thing's every company was doing again where we had baby Yoda, baby Sonic and baby Crash+Coco all within the span of a few months. The latter twos popularity has come and gone, but I'm still sick of seeing Yoda.

As for baby versions in general, I dont really care. Some are cute, some aren't. In terms of something like Mario Kart I really really dont care, you're just picking a character you like the look of and racing. Unless the game is trying to tell some sort of coherent story (which barely any game with baby characters is actually doing) I dont see how it matters whether or not it makes sense...Though I would prefer things like Mario, metal Mario, gold Mario and Tanookie Mario be rolled into one character with alt costumes than cluttering the select screen with 4 characters that are basically the same thing.

Creepy... I think they are great as they are. Different original baby characters might be better

Even Mortal Kombat got in on the action with babyalities.

It only really bugged me when it started being a 'thing's every company was doing again where we had baby Yoda, baby Sonic and baby Crash+Coco all within the span of a few months. The latter twos popularity has come and gone, but I'm still sick of seeing Yoda.

Well, to be fair the "baby Yoda" is not actually baby Yoda and just an infant of his species. I guess it sounds better to people than "the child". He is quite adorable in the show! I've never heard of babyalities dear lord... That sounds terrible lol.

I can think of very few cases where baby characters of this nature don't feel forced. Sure, in Nitro Cart they're trying to take a page from the Mario Kart playbook, but even in the case of Mario Kart and pretty much every instance of baby characters outside of the Yoshi series is really an attempt to appeal to a certain demographic in my eyes. They know cute sells.

Well, to be fair the "baby Yoda" is not actually baby Yoda and just an infant of his species. I guess it sounds better to people than "the child". He is quite adorable in the show! I've never heard of babyalities dear lord... That sounds terrible lol.

I've no interest in Star Wars so I just took it as baby Yoda.

I feel it's still in the same vein as 'baby versions' though in a similar way thay Tiny Toons weren't just baby versions of Looney Tunes, even though they kinda were.

I find them cute, I don't mind having baby versions next to the grown up versions. And to be honest, part of me would love to see Baby Pauline one day in a Mario Kart game (mainly because I'm curious how a baby version of her would look like).

I find them cute, I don't mind having baby versions next to the grown up versions. And to be honest, part of me would love to see Baby Pauline one day in a Mario Kart game (mainly because I'm curious how a baby version of her would look like).
Ever since I got the game I’ve been playing as baby peach the most. She’s so adorable. ;0;

I think having baby versions of any character is quite unnecessary. I only understand Mario, Luigi, and peach having baby versions only because they are main characters and have appeared in Mario and Luigi partners in time, and yoshi’ island ds. Other than that, other characters should be considered vs being lazy and making a baby version in any multiplayer game really.

The same mystery is also with Peach. Standard Peach, Cat Peach, Pink Gold Peach and Baby Peach can
also race against each other even if makes zero sense like with Mario. Either time traveling or traveling
through various dimensions is a thing is this game or Nintendo just doesn't care for the logic here. After
all, I wish the metal versions as well as the Tanooki/Cat costumes would be alt skins for standard Mario
and Peach, the space which they are taking away could have been used for other characters which aren't
another version of Mario/Peach...

what? the company famous for creating a game series where a italian plumber uses flowers and mushrooms to stomp on turtles and save a princess from a giant turtle king that comes back from the dead in every game? not caring about the logic? say it ain't so! /s /jk

i think baby characters are weird. they have no reason to exist, baby mario is just smol mustache less mario.

I guess it depends, but for the most part, I'm not a huge fan of baby characters, especially in Pokemon where they take up space that could be used for better creations.

I personally find the baby versions of existing characters to be weird. Since they were introduced after the older version, it’s just weird to think we’ve gone back in time. I think it’s very likely that a baby version will be made of most video game characters. Nintendo seems to love doing that in particular. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that, but I personally find them weird.

I, myself, don't really mind baby characters being present in certain video games. In fact, baby Mario is actually one of my favourite fictional characters! I often used to main him in Mario Kart Wii (until King Boo was unlocked after finishing the Star Cup in 2020 lol), and that game and Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time were the two main games that made me grow a tad fond of him. :p As for his weeping in the Yoshi's Island games, however, I think it sounds the best in the original SNES one (it's not as shrill as in its GBA remake and the subsequent DS and 3DS games of that franchise lololol), and finally somewhat unique starting from his first vocal portrayal in Mario Golf. 🤐👂🔇

I'm still waiting for Baby Wario lmao

You mean in a Mario Kart game? If so, that would actually be kind of nice somewhere, even if he doesn't have anyone like baby Waluigi (who doesn't even exist in any actual game yet lol) as a teammate/friend/idk then, like their adult counterparts. 🧐
If not, then I can tell you that his one and only underrated appearance has been in Yoshi's Island DS, and that his weeping there is shrill and annoying as heck too 🤣

Back