• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Nintendo to restrict tournament sizes

Nintendo a few years back: We hate fan made Melee tourneys, no more of them!

Nintendo now: NO PROFITS

I’m hoping it doesn’t have much impact on TBT’s future Smash tournaments and Pokémon tournaments. After all, you don’t get charged to enter a TBT-hosted tournament. No money, no TBT Bells, no cowrie shells, nothing.

I’m hoping it doesn’t have much impact on TBT’s future Smash tournaments and Pokémon tournaments. After all, you don’t get charged to enter a TBT-hosted tournament. No money, no TBT Bells, no cowrie shells, nothing.
That is something to consider, but I'm presuming this targeted more towards much larger scale operations like EVO and Super Smash Con. Nintendo probably won't particularly like Bell Tree doing it, but I don't picture them actually doing anything about it.

EDIT: Apparently, Nintendo even has in their Q&A that if you have a tournament that exceeds the maximum number of people, you should host a separate tournament for those people, which makes the "200 people in person; 300 people online" limit both arbitrary and self-demonstrably pointless. It is really quite silly.

Last edited:
tbh, after certain recentish not-suitable-for-tbt happenings wrt competitive smash, I'm honestly not surprised that they're setting up restrictions, to try to wrestle control of their ip(s) in the competitive scene back

Back