• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo Update General Discussion

Since both the original Animal Crossing: New Leaf (the icon with white leaf on a green background) and Welcome amiibo versions are considered as entirely separate titles, the Save Data Transfer Tool wouldn't let you carry your physical ACNL save data to the digital Welcome amiibo version.

You would have to download the original version on eShop in order to get the transfer working, but it's no longer possible to do so due of it being entirely replaced by the Welcome amiibo one.

Well, here's hoping a future update will address this.

I am really confused here so maybe someone can help me out..I have multiple cart towns and two 3ds machines..I have already done the free update on one ds and am about to on the other and have gone out and bought some both physical amibo and the welcome amibo cards to go with series cards I had from unused HHD series one and two packs..The update says free but there is a second update called welcome amibo same as on card packs in e shop costing 20 dollars per 3ds...so if I don't do that will I be unable to use the update and the cards I don't get why there is a free update and I spent money on welcome cards and amibo but can I not use them on my carts or ds machines without paying for another update costing 40 total...very confused here..I don't have a digital copy of acnl...10 physicals..I spent all my spare money on amibo and welcome cards for the free update do I need to pay 20 per machine to use the update?? Help appreciated. That would have been good to know if is the case...

Last edited:
I am really confused here so maybe someone can help me out..I have multiple cart towns and two 3ds machines..I have already done the free update on one ds and am about to on the other and have gone out and bought some both physical amino and the welcome amibo cards to go with series cards I had from unused HHD series one and two packs..The update says free but there is a second update called welcome a,I only in e shop costing 20 dollars per 3ds...so if I don't do that will I be unable to use the update and the cards I don't get why there is a free update and I spent money on welcome cards and amino but can I not use them on my carts or ds machines without paying for another update costing 40 total...very confused here..I don't have a digital copy of acnl...10 physicals..I spent all my spare money on a,kno and welcome cards and did free update do I need to pay 20 per machine to use the update?? Help appreciated.

No. Both updates are completely free.

Ok the first update says 0.00 and the welcome amibo Eshop download says 19.99 or 20 something under it so that is confusing but you are saying I need to purchase the eshop welcome amibo download with a price or just the free update for acnl sorry but it is showing a welcome eshop download for about 20 maybe it is a seperate thing I don't need as have cart towns...anyone else know what I am seeing with that cost...?

Last edited:
When you go to start each unupdated town, you should get a popup telling you you need to update the game. If you click on that, it should take you to the proper download. The one that costs money must just be the digital version of the game. If you still don't find the right one, try scrolling all the way to the left in the eShop and there should be a list of software you can update for free. I don't know why Nintendo didn't just have it update directly when you start the game (and say yes, update).

Ok the first update says 0.00 and the welcome amibo Eshop download says 19.99 or 20 something under it so that is confusing but you are saying I need to purchase the eshop welcome amibo download with a price or just the free update for acnl sorry but it is showing a welcome eshop download for about 20 maybe it is a seperate thing I don't need as have cart towns...anyone else know what I am seeing with that cost...?

well if you already have the original New Leaf cartridge or digital copy, you'll only need to download the update and that is for free. I think what they mean by $19.99 eshop download is the New Leaf AC game that comes with welcome amiibo update. You only need that if you haven't bought the actual game yet. It's just the same as having the original New Leaf game with the free update on it.

That clears it up thanks guys. I was checking in on some towns I had been away from on my I updated ds first before updating so that's why I did it through eshop and entered acnl and must have run into the digital updated instead of just starting the game up each time and updating I was behind and wanted to check everything on the I updated ds first and do a couple things as wasn't sure what to expect...still not but I guess all set and here goes nothing.

As a side question I started a town last Jan and fell way behind it is not built up much so I figured I would restart it after the update do you recommend selling the town, and if I do the map stays the same right? I have no idea what to expect but am glad now I got all my dreams and then kept one well now with reset two spare towns to play without dream filling being the main goal glad I can start fresh with space for villagers without fear of losing anyone special. I knew having finished dream quest and keeping a spare may come in handy. Any tips though on anything to be aware of would be great I've been so busy I feel like the last to know as far as the update and ran out for amibo and cards. It did get me back into the game mode though things have been too busy it will be nice to play again and feel there is more to do than just max out talk everyone everyday and check all my shops as far as old old towns. Why I am nervous I don't know change is good...especially with full dream set older towns the new task features and goals will bring life back into those I hope and the amibo will be cool for the extra non dream town.

PS sorry for typos no stylus ATM iPad have some typing issues from bone/joint issues so ty for ignoring it I try to catch them but it is glitchy and changes words as well which is more often the case but I can't always correct them all. Ty again.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me if the amiibo cards are the same or different from happy home's? I know there's the new leaf welcome amiibo packages so are those the only ones specifically for new leaf? Or are the happy home ones universal too?

Can anyone tell me if the amiibo cards are the same or different from happy home's? I know there's the new leaf welcome amiibo packages so are those the only ones specifically for new leaf? Or are the happy home ones universal too?

Both series 1-4 and the new welcome amiibo cards now work with new leaf. Only the new welcome amiibo cards have villager rv's with items to buy with meow coupons. You can move villagers in from the HHD series too, but they don't have an rv

Thanks! I was seeing the cards sold individually and was confused on if they were okay to buy or if it was only HDD lol. :) Appreciate the clarification.

Norma finally arrived today, so that means I have completed series 5! This is the first and only time I will be completing a series of amiibo cards.

I need to put some more work into my main characters house. The update has given so many cool new items I can access but I'm short on ideas. :( bleh

Help with harvey and the VRs? Do special characters cards work or do you need figures? My card reader works, I've tried wisp and it works but I can't get it to work with Harvey.

Can anyone explain to me how it works when you invite amiibo to move in and kick out a villager? For instance, I invited Katt and opted to kick Henry. She said he'll be moving tomorrow.
So, I'm assuming tomorrow he'll be in boxes and the following day she'll move in?
I also saw somewhere people asked if that means she would move where Henry lives precisely. I didn't stay to see the answer so I'm curious about that too. Can I still plot reset Katt anywhere or will she put her house where Henry's was?

Thanks!

- - - Post Merge - - -

Lol, nevermind. I tt'd foward and answered my questions.

On the New 3DS, the reader is the touchscreen. It says touch it to it, but I hover above and it works.

Aggh, Melsi! I wanted the answers to all your questions, too. :(

Aggh, Melsi! I wanted the answers to all your questions, too. :(

When you invite a new villager to move in and boot a current resident out, the one leaving will be in boxes immediately and the invitee will move in the very next day. And it'll be somewhat random where they will plop down their house. But it seems that you can actually influence it. I don't have it all down, so you should search for info if this is important to you. All I know is that they're less likely to place their house on designs and I think also flowers. I was lucky (?) and got Chai to place her house (resets, of course) in the exact spot I had cleared for her (flowers removed and designs placed around the 3x3 space I wanted).

Edit: Oh! Something important to add.. I think this is only true for characters from RV cards? Not at all sure. Hopefully someone else can fill in the blanks.

Last edited:
does anybody know what exactly the chances are of an amiibo villager plotting exactly where the old house was? Katt's house is in an awful spot and I'm trying to decide if I should kick her out via amiibo or let her move naturally.

Back