• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

New Horizons F.A.Q. – Ask Questions Here!

Hi, I'm new here and kind of created this account because I really just couldn't find a definitive answer online so I hope someone here might be able to help.

I currently have Bluebear at my campsite and I'd like to replace Sly for her. However I also have Shari in boxes today to move out. Can I safely invite Bluebear and replace Sly or could that cause a glitch, because 2 villagers would be in boxes on the same day? Everything I could find about it online tells me that Shari will then be glitched and never move out unless forced by amiibo (which I don't have), but all those posts are from like April 2020 and I can't find anything more recent.

I'm trying to make an island with all Japanese themed villagers. Does anyone have ideas for sisterly and peppy villagers with a Japanese design inspiration and house theme? Pinky seems more Chinese than Japanese and I can't find any sisterly villagers.

this is kind of an old question but thought I would try and answer:

for sisterly - I think Agnes has an obscure connection but she is based on an Aguu, a breed of black pig native to Okinawa (her name in Japanese is pronounced more like Agunesu so it sounds more similar).

Also slight perhaps, but Muffy appears to be a gothic Lolita, which is a Japanese subculture.

for peppies it is hard. Pinky is definitely Chinese themed, but her house Is very pretty and if you want an Asian exterior, she is probably the one who will fit best aesthetically.

the closest other one I can think of is Freckles? She has a semi Japanese fish restaurant feeling interior and her name in Japanese is Maguro (which means tuna)

if I were you I would find some peppies I like and see which one I can fit to the story i have in my head for my island. Like maybe you have your own associations with Japan/ Japanese culture that make a certain villager make more sense to you?

this is kind of an old question but thought I would try and answer:

for sisterly - I think Agnes has an obscure connection but she is based on an Aguu, a breed of black pig native to Okinawa (her name in Japanese is pronounced more like Agunesu so it sounds more similar).

Also slight perhaps, but Muffy appears to be a gothic Lolita, which is a Japanese subculture.

for peppies it is hard. Pinky is definitely Chinese themed, but her house Is very pretty and if you want an Asian exterior, she is probably the one who will fit best aesthetically.

the closest other one I can think of is Freckles? She has a semi Japanese fish restaurant feeling interior and her name in Japanese is Maguro (which means tuna)

if I were you I would find some peppies I like and see which one I can fit to the story i have in my head for my island. Like maybe you have your own associations with Japan/ Japanese culture that make a certain villager make more sense to you?

Thanks! You bring up some very good points. I had completely forgotten for instance, that Muffy is gothic Lolita.

I have a question maybe a little bit stupid: I have some villagers I like and I want to be friend with them but when I offer them a gift, I'm afraid they put it in their house; I love their house appareance and I don't really want it to change. Do you know guys a way to avoid them to place your items in their house or to be friends (for the picture) without offering clothes/items? How do you personaly do?

In the same register (yes, I have two questions), Roscoe asked me to catch x fish. I said yes but I'm actually afraid he put it in his home and it becomes ugly. If I give him what he wants, not as a gift but as a favor, what happens?

I hope my questions are clear. My English is infortunately not perfect.

Thanks in advance :blush:

I have a question maybe a little bit stupid: I have some villagers I like and I want to be friend with them but when I offer them a gift, I'm afraid they put it in their house; I love their house appareance and I don't really want it to change. Do you know guys a way to avoid them to place your items in their house or to be friends (for the picture) without offering clothes/items? How do you personaly do?

In the same register (yes, I have two questions), Roscoe asked me to catch x fish. I said yes but I'm actually afraid he put it in his home and it becomes ugly. If I give him what he wants, not as a gift but as a favor, what happens?

For the gift giving, I've heard that you can give them fruit! It will still count towards your friendship but they won't display it in their house. 🥰

Sadly, I think if you do catch the fish or bug they want and give it to them they will display it. I haven't been able to find a workaround and I learned that the hard way when Diana asked for a flea 😅

For the gift giving, I've heard that you can give them fruit! It will still count towards your friendship but they won't display it in their house. 🥰

Sadly, I think if you do catch the fish or bug they want and give it to them they will display it. I haven't been able to find a workaround and I learned that the hard way when Diana asked for a flea 😅
I actually saw a reddit thread with a funny picture about the player giving his villager some pumpkins that's why I ask haha. I think I'll do that way!
Ooooh, that's too bad. I don't want to offer him this ugly fish then. Roscoe's house is so perfect!

Thanks for your fast answer :D

I actually saw a reddit thread with a funny picture about the player giving his villager some pumpkins that's why I ask haha. I think I'll do that way!
Ooooh, that's too bad. I don't want to offer him this ugly fish then. Roscoe's house is so perfect!

Thanks for your fast answer :D

Yes! The pumpkins will work the same way. Also! Your English is wonderful and your questions were easy for me to understand. 🥰

Hello! Your questions are very clear, don’t worry 😊

For your first question: you can give your villager wrapped fruit and it will work toward building the friendship high enough to receive their photos as well as any item. For non native fruit you need to give 2, for coconuts 3, and for native fruit 8.

there is a longer very exact, and regularly updated these about it here:

For requests to catch bugs, yes if you catch it they will display it. But if you say yes and do not actually give it to them there will be no penalty and you may still get a friendship point (not sure about that, it may also be covered in the linked thread). At the least you don’t have to see them get sad if you say no 😉

good luck!

Hello! Your questions are very clear, don’t worry 😊

For your first question: you can give your villager wrapped fruit and it will work toward building the friendship high enough to receive their photos as well as any item. For non native fruit you need to give 2, for coconuts 3, and for native fruit 8.

there is a longer very exact, and regularly updated these about it here:

For requests to catch bugs, yes if you catch it they will display it. But if you say yes and do not actually give it to them there will be no penalty and you may still get a friendship point (not sure about that, it may also be covered in the linked thread). At the least you don’t have to see them get sad if you say no 😉

good luck!
Thank you for your precise answer! I'm reading the article you gave me and it helps a lot! At first, I've never wrapped the gift I wanted to give my villager.
I can give them floorings or walls as well, wrapped, am I right? I just want to be sure!

But a huge thank you for that answer! I feel better :)

Thank you for your precise answer! I'm reading the article you gave me and it helps a lot! At first, I've never wrapped the gift I wanted to give my villager.
I can give them floorings or walls as well, wrapped, am I right? I just want to be sure!

But a huge thank you for that answer! I feel better :)

i believe with flooring and wallpaper though they will never display it, there is a slight chance it will (if you give them a lot) eventually fill their ‘inventory’ - they can only have so many items at one time (this is how it works with wall hanging furniture). In this case, if the inventory becomes full, then original items may disappear from the house.

I am not sure this will happen with walls and floors, it is what happens with wall hanging furniture though, and so to be safe it is probably best to give only fruit if you want your villagers to be truly original.

(if the guide says differently then I am definitely the one who is wrong!)

This might be a hard question for most! But I'll ask anyway....

When you've glitched yourself up to that 4th level cliff, can you put a plot of housing up there? I know it would be a pain if you put a villager up there, but what about human players?

When you've glitched yourself up to that 4th level cliff, can you put a plot of housing up there? I know it would be a pain if you put a villager up there, but what about human players?

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to, but why would you? wouldn't you have to glitch yourself up there every time? I could kind of see wanting to do it for extra houses that are being used as decor, but why would you put your own house up there? I'm also not entirely sure you'd be able to place the plot simply because it might tell you tjat you cant place structures up that high. but maybe it can.

You can't. You will get a message that says "There isn't enough space here", no matter if that's the case or not. You can't terraform either. Only furniture and plants can be placed on the 4th level. Here is a video showcasing that.

EDIT: Just looked through the comments a bit and it used to be possible in versions prior to 1.2.0! So everyone who's put a plot up there before that patch still has their house there.

Last edited:
I could kind of see wanting to do it for extra houses that are being used as decor, but why would you put your own house up there?
Decor was pretty much the only reason I planned to put one up there 😆 But alas...

You can't. You will get a message that says "There isn't enough space here", no matter if that's the case or not. You can't terraform either. Only furniture and plants can be placed on the 4th level. Here is a video showcasing that.

EDIT: Just looked through the comments a bit and it used to be possible in versions prior to 1.2.0! So everyone who's put a plot up there before that patch still has their house there.
Aww, that's such a shame! Thanks for that, youtube videos have been very hit and miss with me lately (so much clickbait). Interesting that they've changed it, feels as though Ninty know it's possible to get up there and just don't see it as priority.

Ok I have a few questions.

1. No. They will wear it randomly, and usually only if it's their favorite color and style, and only if they are capable.

2. If you're referring to multiplayer, the speak bubble color is related to the number of player you are. (1-8).

3. I don't believe anything grows in sand other than palm trees and weeds.
Post automatically merged:

Is there a guide out there that lists all the clothing a villager will wear?

Yes. It will list their favorite colors and styles, which should help you pick out hats, glasses, or tops

Does anyone know when the folk shirt item comes out?? I have been checking the Able Sisters every day in winter but no luck. Its the perfect item for my character and I cant get it for some reason
I've seen it around recently, playing northern hemi. :)

Back