Need help with finding a good stylus for tablet!!

xSuperMario64x

Canadian at heart 💜🇨🇦
Bells
Switch
8558-0128-9692
Island
He/him
Blue Hybrid Violet
Purple Hybrid Rose
Bluebird of Happiness Plush
Blue Hybrid Rose
Purple Violet
Cool Feather
Glam Feather
Heart Glow Wand
Blue Feather
Purple Feather
tl;dr skip to the purple section!

So if you've been following my art gallery on here you know that I've been doing digital art with Colors 3D for about three years now. However I'm at a point where I would like to expand my artistic horizons and explore more professional programs for drawing and painting. The tools available on Colors 3D are decent, albeit limited, but what it really comes down to is the fact that even the 3DSXL's touch screen is really small, and that makes it difficult for me to really get any better at drawing/painting. Plus, the export quality of Colors 3D is absolutely horrendous so I really just want to move away from that.

Here are my three scenarios right now:

1. I'm really interested in using the program Procreate for art, but I don't currently have an iPad. Does anyone have recommendations for which iPad I could potentially buy? I'm not looking to get the newest one or a super fancy one, I just want one that's good enough to draw on.

2. I have an android tablet. However I don't know of any good art programs for android. I've checked out the Art Programs thread that's stickied but even after looking through that I don't really know which ones are what I'm looking for. Recommendations here would be much appreciated.

3. I'm planning on getting a stylus that is more reminiscent of the DS stylus. I have a touchscreen stylus right now but it has that big, bulky, flimsy tip on it and it really isn't good for drawing. Again, I don't need anything fancy, just something that works. I've found a few on Amazon that seem like they're pretty decent, but if you have a stylus that you'd like to recommend that would be awesome (I'm a bit skeptical of online shopping lol).

EDIT: I've found a good drawing program for my tablet, so tysm for all the recommendations everyone!! Now I'm just looking for a stylus. I've looked into the Sonar Pen but it's $35 which I'm not willing to spend just for a stylus lol. I did find a stylus which uses a precision tip with a disc on it.

QUESTION: Has anyone here used a disc tip stylus before? How was your experience with it?

Any and all input and constructive criticism is appreciated! Thank you for checking out my thread! :)

Last edited:
LavenderTowne on YouTube did a video comparing 5 different drawing apps, on of then was Ibis Paint X (the same art program I use when I do digital) and another they said was good called Notebook or somethin similar to that, I'll see if I can find the video on it.

For ibis Paint X there is both an iPhone and android version (I have android) but as far as I know it can be downloaded on to tablets. While it is free, there are some features that are paid for but I honestly never touch those features nor is there ever a time that I have to use them.

One thing people find annoying about ibis is the ads. While alot of brushes are technically free, there are some brushes that if you watch an ad you get to use it for 18 hours. After those 18 hours you can watch another ad. There's also small ads across the top of the screen. This bothers people but honestly, free is free. Doesn't really bother me.

Ibis Paint X also shows you how to draw things like stain glass effect, using washi tape as art, how to use watercolour along with various other stuff on YouTube on their channel. Not only that but if you ever get stuck with somethin (like adding transparency to an image) it's easy to Google, if there isn't a tutorial video on it already.

Overall I'd say for a free drawing app it's good for beginners. I'm sure a pro could do much better, but I think it's a good stepping stone into a more typical digital drawing app.

Edit: Here's the channel so you can watch their tutorials

Double Edit: Found it! She says the apps are mobile

-LavenderTowne mentions 2 things about ibis, 1 they say they can't export movies but you actually can. 2, pen pressure. Because I use a generic stylus pen I don't have the settings to be able to use pen pressure, I just make up for this by making my lines skinny or fat before I draw them. Somethin called a sonar pen is supported and gives pen pressure, and I think apple pens are also supported, but honestly unless the style is like suuuper sketch, I don't see the use for pen pressure.

Last edited:
I don't know about iPad or tablets in general, but I used ibis paint x on my phone for a while and it's really good!! It's on google store. their youtube channel has a lot of good tutorials!!
I think if you are using an iPad for drawing only, you should look for which is the minimum iOS version needed for procreate and buy an iPad with that version.
about the stylus, some tablets have good sensor and others not, so you maybe have to buy one that has a rounded tip (maybe it's the one you already have tho). Did you try to use the 3DS stylus on your tablet?

I second ibis paint on android. It just has a lot of features and you can unlock it by just watching one ad. I currently use Infinite painter, the paid one and and its great. I think Artflow is kind of similar to procreate? Though I'm not sure. I don't have a fancy tablet I only have the Samsung Tablet with the s pen.

about the stylus, some tablets have good sensor and others not, so you maybe have to buy one that has a rounded tip (maybe it's the one you already have tho). Did you try to use the 3DS stylus on your tablet?
The 3DS stylus unfortunately only works on the DS and 3DS screens. For a tablet/phone and the Switch a different type of stylus is required. I'll keep looking at different pens that work with tablets and hopefully I can find one that isn't way out of my price range!

I think if you are using an iPad for drawing only, you should look for which is the minimum iOS version needed for procreate and buy an iPad with that version.
Unfortunately it looks like Procreate updates along with iOS so it basically requires the newest version of iOS to work. I think if Ibis Paint X ends up working okay for me then I'll hold off on getting an iPad for now!

I second ibis paint on android. It just has a lot of features and you can unlock it by just watching one ad. I currently use Infinite painter, the paid one and and its great.
I'll probably get the paid version as long as it's not too expensive (Procreate I believe costs $10 on the Apple Store so as long as it isn't more than that). EDIT: So the prime membership is $2.99/month (def not doing that lol) but to remove ads is a one-time fee of $7.99 which isn't bad at all. If I end up liking the app I'll just get the feature to remove ads.
I'll go ahead and check out Ibis Paint, since all three of you have recommended it to me!

I'm still open for recommendations (especially on styluses)! :)

If your tablet is capable of handling it, Medibang is personally the closest thing to a desktop-quality art program that you can get on Android for free. It's quite versatile and I recommend it.

With Android in general, you have to be careful, because a lot of programs have paid versions that simply aren't worth it for how little they offer.

If your tablet is capable of handling it, Medibang is personally the closest thing to a desktop-quality art program that you can get on Android for free. It's quite versatile and I recommend it.

With Android in general, you have to be careful, because a lot of programs have paid versions that simply aren't worth it for how little they offer.
That's why I figured I would come here for recommendations instead of trying to find a good one myself. I think I kinda tried before and gave up after seeing how many random art apps are available x,,,D

I'll check out Medibang too!

Back