• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Nanowrimo 2023

pawprints

mistakenly caught grandpa
Bells
Pear (Fruit)
Isabelle
Pink Hybrid Cosmos
Is anyone else participating? I'm thinking about it. I have a project I've been trying to motivate myself to write for a few years now and I'm hoping that this will be the push that I need to do it. I am working on my outline right now and I think that it's going well - even if I'm still outlining the prologue. I think that once I get it written, everything will fall into place. I'm HOPING at least lol.

I'm hoping this can be a place where we can talk about our projects and support one another with this venture :)

every single year i tell myself i'm going to finally do nanowrimo, and every year I manage to get caught up with life and get too busy to do it. i fear this year might be exactly the same since november is always peak deadline season for me, but you never know...

i've never done nanowrimo because, unfortunately, i have the motivation of a rock and deadlines/time-limits stress me out more than they compel me to write. i was going to try it this year for a fic idea, but i wanted to give myself more time to hopefully finish before december, so i started it this month instead. (completed it in two weeks at 30k!) when i want to challenge myself with writing, i prefer to do more of a fic-version of inktober where everyday is a short story for a different prompt. i don't have to worry so much, then, about getting stuck with the plot or about a wordcount or losing interest in the idea etc. maybe one day i'll do actual nanowrimo to try and finish the last two thirds of my book, but who knows when that'll be asdfghj.

Every year I want to try, but I end up getting so distracted and forget about it. Maybe this year is my year, though I have other projects I want to work on. Decisions.

every single year i tell myself i'm going to finally do nanowrimo, and every year I manage to get caught up with life and get too busy to do it. i fear this year might be exactly the same since november is always peak deadline season for me, but you never know...
I do find myself having this same schedule, but I was also hoping that this thread was going to help me to motivate myself.
i prefer to do more of a fic-version of inktober where everyday is a short story for a different prompt. i don't have to worry so much, then, about getting stuck with the plot or about a wordcount or losing interest in the idea etc. maybe one day i'll do actual nanowrimo to try and finish the last two thirds of my book, but who knows when that'll be asdfghj.
I MIGHT DO THIS NEXT YEAR!! This is such a good idea tbh

I do find myself having this same schedule, but I was also hoping that this thread was going to help me to motivate myself.

I MIGHT DO THIS NEXT YEAR!! This is such a good idea tbh
it's so funny, honestly !! and you can do it any time of year! last year i did it during october and used the actual inktober prompts, just for fics. (think it came out around 34k?) then this year, i did it back in may and just used a random list of prompts i found online. if you end up having difficulty with nanowrimo, because it does seem like it can be a lot, especially if you don't have much free time or consistent motivation, i'd definitely recommend this as an alternative !! i usually set myself a 500 word minimum word count for each prompt (even though i go over it most days) so there's no pressure, and it really challenges you to think outside the box for certain words or write a scenario you usually might not.

that said, definitely still give nanowrimo a go if you want to! i just don't because i know what i'm like asdfghjk. i don't think they're strict about the wordcount and you can make it whatever you think is achievable for you. some say you should be aiming for 50k minimum because that's "novel length" but not all of us are capable of that, especially in just a month, and that's totally okay !!

This will be my eighteenth year participating in NaNoWriMo and my seventh year serving the community as a municipal liaison. We are hosting fifteen events—five in-person and ten virtual—throughout November, not including our kick-off party this evening. It is going to be such a fun month. Let's hope I find time to write! 😂

I'll be bouncing back and forth between two projects in November. One is a fantasy novel and the other is a new adult project.

i thought about it, but deadlines stress me out, and i'm not at all ambitious enough to set realistic milestones T_T however i will be reading lots of friends NaNoWriMo progress so thats got me excited

I really should since I have a lot of WIP's but I never have the time. *sigh* I'll try to write as much as I can without officially signing up lol. Maybe one year I'll actually do it.

This will be my eighteenth year participating in NaNoWriMo and my seventh year serving the community as a municipal liaison. We are hosting fifteen events—five in-person and ten virtual—throughout November, not including our kick-off party this evening. It is going to be such a fun month. Let's hope I find time to write! 😂

I'll be bouncing back and forth between two projects in November. One is a fantasy novel and the other is a new adult project
OMG, that's a lot of events and I can't imagine the stress of being a municipal liaison. Have you won every year? I can't even imagine!! Iev'm going to my local kickoff event tonight, in about two hours. I've never been to an in person event so I'm nervous and excited.
i thought about it, but deadlines stress me out, and i'm not at all ambitious enough to set realistic milestones T_T however i will be reading lots of friends NaNoWriMo progress so thats got me excited
Yeah! For me, I think my goal is closer to write everyday than 50k words, but I also keep imagining how far my novel idea will go if I DO get 50k words this month!
I really should since I have a lot of WIP's but I never have the time. *sigh* I'll try to write as much as I can without officially signing up lol. Maybe one year I'll actually do it.
There's no harm in "not winning". I've never won and I've had an account for 12 years. I've attempted probably four of those years and not won!

I'm participating! I've known about it since 2008, but have only made sporadic attempts throughout the years. My closest was 2015, and while I did reach 50k, I don't really count it because it was an already in-progress novel 😅

maaaaybe this will be the year? Unfortunately, the holidays are the busiest time for me. I'm thinking the only way I'm going to get a dedicated writing hour is if I wake up early 😩

I'm participating! I've known about it since 2008, but have only made sporadic attempts throughout the years. My closest was 2015, and while I did reach 50k, I don't really count it because it was an already in-progress novel 😅

maaaaybe this will be the year? Unfortunately, the holidays are the busiest time for me. I'm thinking the only way I'm going to get a dedicated writing hour is if I wake up early 😩
I’m hoping this year is my winning year. I’m at 5k after two days and hoping to keep this pace!

Amazing job, you got this! That's great progress, sending you good vibes to keep that momentum going. ✨ I'm planning on starting sometime after work tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have an update this weekend. ❤️

AAAAY that's fantastic, congratulations! ✨

I hit 5k today as my first day, and while I'm technically behind, it's a decent start. I doubt I'll be able to replicate today's success tomorrow, but my goal is to be at 8.5k. :)

I hope you were able to accomplish your goal! I know there's goals on the site, but I've enjoyed setting my own daily goals. Of course, later in the month, I probably won't be and might be struggling to make par so I'm keeping my look ahead until then.

I'm drafting a bible for a religion I created for my D&D campaign and the outlining is fun !! I'm very behind because I forgot about nanowrimo but maybe this'll help get my campaign out quicker.

Back