• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

My Top 5 Favorite Films Of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fabioisonfire

total a-hole
Bells
Alright, I said I was going to do this eventually, and here it is. A list of my top 5 favorite movies of all time. As you all may know, I'm a huge fan of film, so this list wasn't thought up in a matter of minutes. I highly recommend seeing any (or all) of these films- you won't be disappointed. Feel free to critique choices on my list. How many have you seen? What are some of your favorites?

In order...

• 1: The Shining
    Directed by Stanley Kubrick (1980)
    Rotten Tomatoes: 87%
    1372450.jpg

This is, hands down, my favorite movie of all time. Never before has a movie had this kind of profound meaning in my life. It's what inspired me to become a filmmaker. The Shining is widely considered one of the greatest horror films of all time.

It takes place in Colorado, in the Outlook Hotel, where a man (Nicholson) is put in charge of taking care of the place in the off-season. Completed isolated from the world, in a hotel that is supposedly haunted, Nicholson begins to lose his mind. Jack Nicholson gives what I believe is the performance of a lifetime as the crazed father, in a performance you have to see to believe. Kubrick does an astounding job of confusing the viewer, and giving visceral imagery throughout, including the infamous 'Here's Johnny!' scene, which has become world renown as one of the scariest scenes ever. The line was ad-libbed, which is another testament to Nicholson's performance.

This film hold significance for the art of filmmaking as well, with the Steadicam shots being an integral part of the film.
    2683304.jpg

Psycho isn't just a good suspense/thriller; it's the first one. This movie invented the genre. Hitchcock, considered 'the master of suspense', delivers one of his greatest gifts to the industry in Psycho. Home to the now infamous 'shower scene', this film laid the groundwork for every suspense movie to come after.

I won't go into detail about the plot, because I don't want to ruin the mystery for anyone. Check this one out.
    1183553.jpg

There Will Be Blood is one of the most (if not the most) brilliant character studies I've ever seen put on film. Daniel Plainview (Daniel Day-Lewis) is a prospector, an oil man. The film follows his journey to New Boston, California, in his search for oil. As his wealth in terms of money increases, his morality decreases. He is a truly evil man. Day-Lewis gives a performance which can only be described as... remarkable. He won the Oscar for it, as well.

The reason I'm so fond of this film (as if the incredible cinematography and Day-Lewis performance weren't enough) is the story. In both the way it begins and ends, this is a beautiful script.
    10002157.jpg

Let me just say that I hadn't seen this film until a year ago. And since then, it has quickly risen the ranks in this list, and for good reason. Charlie Kaufman writes the best script I've ever seen here, writing a beautiful love story. Two imperfectly hip characters Joel (Jim Carey) and Clementine (Kate Winslet) meet and bond under extraordinary circumstances. Unfortunately, they have a tumultuous relationship. Clementine then decides to have Joel erased from her memory using a medical procedure. To spite her, Joel opts for the same procedure. But halfway through, he realizes how much he still is in love with her.

If you are going to watch one film on this list, see this one. Winslet gives a fantastic, Oscar winning (?) performance for her role in the film. Never before has a film touched me in a way like this.
    1420481.jpg

Of every film on the list, this is the least accessible. Even I, a Kubrick whore, had to watch this one twice before I could appreciate its beauty. I consider this the greatest science-fiction film ever made. A multi-part epic, Kubrick delivers an epic (and somewhat bizarre, and mysterious) tale into the (then) future.
    In conclusion, the bottom 5 on my list (making my top 10) go 6: Full Metal Jacket (1987), 7: Juno (2007), 8: The Blair Witch Project (1999), 9: The Exorcist (1973), and 10: Citizen Kane (1941). If you'd like quick reviews and recaps of those as well, let me know. Thanks for reading.

Even if I've only seen two of the top five (There Will be Blood and Eternal Sunshine, which are great.) I'd say this is a pretty solid list, as I've been meaning to see the other 3 in the future.

Thanks for posting, enjoyed reading it.

I've only seen Psycho, but it's an amazing movie, so I'll give you props for that.

Classic Hitchcock FTW!

I voted for Is Amazing even though I wouldn't have The Shining at the top, the book beats it by far. Also I'd have Repo! The Genetic Opera on there somewhere personally, but that's me :p Great list though! Psycho, what a great film. I like how you added the Rotten Tomatoes thing too.

Comatose said:
I've only seen Psycho, but it's an amazing movie, so I'll give you props for that.

Classic Hitchcock FTW!
Psycho is the one I wanted to see most on the list, as I recently watched Rear Window and loved it.

Nice choices man. Most people would've thrown *censored.2.0*ty action movies in there such as some of the new super hero movies, or some of those stupid ass comedy films like Step Brothers and *censored.2.0*.

David said:
Nice choices man. Most people would've thrown *censored.2.0*ty action movies in there such as some of the new super hero movies, or some of those stupid ass comedy films like Step Brothers and *censored.2.0*.
Well, I'm not a 16 year old girl, so yeah.

Fabioisonfire said:
David said:
I know plenty of guys who would consider them good.

David said:
Fabioisonfire said:
David said:
Me too, but, none that would seriously consider posting them in a list on The Bell Tree.

Fabioisonfire said:
David said:
Fabioisonfire said:
David said:
Me too, but, none that would seriously consider posting them in a list on The Bell Tree.
True.

I have seen none of those. :[
But I heard Psycho is really good.

The Shining gave me nightmares for one week, but I do agree that it was excellent. It's not one of my top 5, but it is still one of my favourite films of all time.

Psycho is one of my favourite movies as well. I can't resist a good Hitchcock film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back