• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

amiibo Festival My Thoughts on this Infamous Game [& Your Thoughts?]

MasterM64

🍀 Mayor of PARADISE 🍀
Bells
Switch
4379-5352-7409
Orange Hybrid Hyacinth
Orange Hybrid Hyacinth
Orange Hybrid Hyacinth
Orange Hybrid Hyacinth
Orange Hybrid Hyacinth
Orange Hybrid Hyacinth
Yellow Hyacinth
Red Hyacinth
Yellow Hyacinth
Golden Watering Can
Hello everyone, I noticed a lot of people really don't talk about this game especially since it is considered infamous by many in the Animal Crossing community, but I thought I should share my thoughts and hear what everyone thinks about this game as well! :)

As a big Wii U fan and collector along with being a huge Animal Crossing fan, I just had to give this game a try. I managed to snag a copy of the game for less than $3 and paid around $10 at Five Below for Kapp'n and Timmy & Tommy Amiibo figures (much better than paying $60 for it brand new back in the day lol)! :) Due to this, my thoughts on this game do not cover the minigames available after 2 rounds of the board game which require Amiibo cards to play (which is a bummer, but whatever), but I do plan on getting Amiibo cards in the near future to give them a try! :D Before explaining my thoughts and to explain how positive my experience was, I did win my first round, but got 2nd in the next round (& I'll explain later on how that happened). Before sharing my impressions here's how you play the game for those who have never played and are curious (for those who have already played, feel free to skip the next paragraph):

In Amiibo Festival, the goal of the game is collect as many Happy Points as possible before the "month" has cycled through or when the set timer (which I think is not available until you play the board game the 2nd time from what I remember) has run out to win. With these Happy Points, you can level up your Amiibo to unlock additional outfits and you also can earn Happy Tickets which are used to unlock the individual minigames (so yeah, you need to play the board game a good bit to unlock everything). You can earn these Happy Points by landing on certain spaces, interacting with players when you land on the same spot (but, usually something bad happens instead in that case), collecting the 4 stamps at each corner of the board, rolling a good number with the dice, during events that occur throughout the round over the course of the "month", from Taro Card bonuses (obtained by Katrina), and for every 1,000 bells in your wallet by the end of the game (1 Happy Point/1,000 bells). Winning the game seems straight forward, but it definitely requires strategy and also good luck to outdo the computers (they are surprisingly smart). Throughout each round, you will have visiting special NPCs (like Redd) and actual holidays and events (like the Bug Off) will occur as well that will each affect the game in a fun & refreshing way while also helping you as well. The only event I found that didn't help you is when Joan visits and takes bells from you because apparently some stupid kids destroyed her turnip patch, but she also does good things too (like give you extra turnips) so it depends on the round I guess! xD With Katrina, you are able to get Taro Cards which will give you special bonuses each time a player rolls a certain number with the dice. This can be very useful depending on how everyone rolls so it's a matter of luck. Another neat feature in the game is that you can get cards that do various functions like giving you a guaranteed roll of a specific value to changing the stalk market trends on turnip prices (this can be very fun depending on the card since you can possibly screw other players over with it xD). You can have as many as 2 at a time in your inventory and they unfortunately cost bells to use. You can acquire these cards by playing a game with Katie when she visits town (or you can trade cards with her), buy them from Redd, or get them when Dr. Shrunk is in town and you land on his event tile. All I can say is use your cards wisely because they don't come by often and could be essential to winning (especially if you need to land on a certain space to get the ultimate payoff on turnips). After all the strategies I tried, I found that fully utilizing the stalk market to your advantage by buying as many turnips as possible each Sunday and selling them in the best spot possible (out of all the likely options you will have available in a "week" worth of turns) is key to winning. Once you find the strategy that works best for you, winning every game is almost guaranteed as long as luck is on your side. If there is anything important I missed, everyone feel free to mention them below with your replies! lol Now, on to my impressions.

When it comes to my positive impressions of the game, I found the game to be very charming and inviting. :) The graphics, the dialogue, the simple fun it offers, and many other factors honestly drew me in and I played a couple rounds without getting bored in the process. I think one of the biggest gems of this game is definitely the dialogue, it is just so well-written and charming! It definitely makes me wonder where they go with dialogue with the next game... I also loved how laid back, but yet hectic at the same time the game was (especially if you were trying to sell your turnips). The game is designed to encourage you to smell the roses along the way, but yet you still have goals you need to achieve as well for victory.

When it comes to my negative impressions, I think the biggest thing for me is not being able to skip dialogue during a computer player's turn (especially when Dr. Shrunk came in town because he always took FOREVER compared to the other visiting special NPCs on top of the annoying music). Another complaint I had as well was when certain events occur that give a player a ridiculous advantage over other players and defying the overall balance the game overall has. An example of this was when a computer player somehow got 90,000 bells (which is a TON of bells in Amiibo Festival) from a single event, of them somehow growing a bell tree, during my 2nd round (I was winning big time before this happened). This also occurred right before Sunday as well where the computer player could easily buy 90,000 bells worth of turnips which could easily double their bell count! o_O My last real big complaint is the fact that you have to have Amiibo cards to play the minigames even though the Amiibo figures have the exact technology inside of them! >_> I know a lot of people think using a Amiibo to roll the device or play the game instead of a simple button press is stupid, but I honestly found it neat since it was a interesting way of using the Wii U gamepad NFC reader.

Besides these flaws, I found this game good overall (not very good or excellent because of the flaws mentioned) as a Animal Crossing fan. I can see why a lot of people wouldn't like it, but if you try to enjoy it for what it is especially as a Animal Crossing fan, there is a lot to appreciate there! :) My hypothesis of this game's existence is that they were developing a Wii U AC game that never came to be due to the poor Wii U sales and Nintendo didn't want to waste the assets. I know this was a long read, but thank you to everyone who has taken time to read this! :) What are everyone's thoughts or experience with this game?

Last edited:
I feel you on that one. ^
I unfortunately bought it on release for $60... Still can't believe they even sold it at that price.
If they even bother putting it out of clearance, I see it go for $20 now.

Last edited:
While I didn't played the game myself, as I never own a Wii U, but saw lots of Let's Plays of it, the game kinda looks... Unfinished to me? Or at least I would say that they could have made it much better, with maybe taken more inspirations of Mario Party and add some more action into
it. At this point, it feels like they didn't wanted to put any Animal Crossing characters into action. While in Mario Party, there are lots of mini-games which has lots of action and are also kinda tricky, amiibo Festival let it's characters just...Walking on a board most of the time and that's it.

Overall, the game isn't really something for me. It's kinda disappointing that they waste the potential to make more out of this game. At least it's worth it if you get it for a cheap price with the amiibos (but only for the amiibos).

Last edited:
While I didn't played the game myself, as I never own a Wii U, but saw lots of Let's Plays of it,
the game kinda looks... Unfinished to me? Or at least I would say that they could have made it
much better, with maybe taken more inspirations of Mario Party and add some more action into
it. At this point, it feels like they didn't wanted to put any Animal Crossing characters into action.
While in Mario Party, there are lots of mini-games which has lots of action and are also kinda tricky,
Amiibo Festival let it's characters just...Walking on a board most of the time and that's it.

Overall, the game isn't really something for me. It's kinda disappointing that they waste the potential
to make more out of this game. At least it's worth it if you get it for a cheap price with the amiibos
(but only for the amiibos).

I can see why you thought of the game as "unfinished" because I felt there were aspects of the map that seemed odd like how the beach looks next to the town on the east side and there were other oddities as well which is why I hypothesize the game could have been made to make sure certain assets were not wasted. They technically made minigames, but I know what you mean! ;) It is unfortunate that they didn't integrate them somehow to the main board game mode and that you have to play the board game a ton to save up enough Happy Tickets to unlock all of them. :/

My biggest issue with the game is the fact that it absolutely requires you to have amiibos to play. Also I hear that game basically plays itself like 95% of the time so that makes it even less of a game.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Though I gotta say, the graphics in the game are very stunning. I can't wait to see how the new Animal Crossing game looks on the Switch!

I think I wish I'd gotten the game when I saw it on sale for dirt cheap, if only for the amiibo figures

Yeah I saw them doing the game here for like $10 if not less so I was tempted for the cards and amiibos since you can use them with new leaf right?

But yeah, I haven't played but honestly don't they include cards for playing and it can't be worse than mk8 lol

My biggest issue with the game is the fact that it absolutely requires you to have amiibos to play. Also I hear that game basically plays itself like 95% of the time so that makes it even less of a game.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Though I gotta say, the graphics in the game are very stunning. I can't wait to see how the new Animal Crossing game looks on the Switch!

I definitely agree with you there even though I found it a neat way of utilizing the NFC reader on the gamepad, but I think the most infuriating thing in particular is the fact you have to have both the figures and cards to experience all the content even though they share the same technology inside of them (NFC). :/ The graphics

Yeah I saw them doing the game here for like $10 if not less so I was tempted for the cards and amiibos since you can use them with new leaf right?

But yeah, I haven't played but honestly don't they include cards for playing and it can't be worse than mk8 lol

Yeah, you can use all of them on New Leaf which is definitely a nice bonus and there is some neat content that becomes available only through the special NPC figures (like Wisp running the store while Timmy & Tommy are in the campsite)! :D If you buy the game new (which I didn't), you get enough cards and figures to experience most of the content (except for Desert Island Escape which I think requires 6 cards to play if I remember correctly). I am planning on buying the game new for around $15 soon just so I can have a new copy of the game complete, get 3 Amiibo cards, and mark 2 more of the figures off the list I need to collect to complete the set! :)

Mhm, that's cool. Maybe I should get it for the actual stuff and just give the game away lol.

Mhm, that's cool. Maybe I should get it for the actual stuff and just give the game away lol.

For the price you can get the game at new, you might as well keep the game and give it a try! lol I actually just bought a brand new copy off of eBay for less than $15 because why not? xD

Here's the listing I got my copy from (they only have 1 left) if you have a NTSC Wii U: https://www.ebay.com/itm/401309998529

EDIT: Looks like the price got raised recently for anyone who is curious. :/

Last edited:
I'm new to AC in general, but when I saw this one I was like "wow, what a blatant cash grab." I both love and hate when they make us to buy figurines to unlock stuff in games, especially because they can be quite expensive (I'm not from the US or Europe, so I have to either import or buy when I go abroad). It also looked like to be like a Mario Party reskinned, and these games are usually a love-or-hate thing, there's no between.
As I don't own a Wii-U and I don't usually enjoy Mario Party games, it was a pass for me but it was informative to read about it. Thanks for sharing!

I'm new to AC in general, but when I saw this one I was like "wow, what a blatant cash grab." I both love and hate when they make us to buy figurines to unlock stuff in games, especially because they can be quite expensive (I'm not from the US or Europe, so I have to either import or buy when I go abroad). It also looked like to be like a Mario Party reskinned, and these games are usually a love-or-hate thing, there's no between.
As I don't own a Wii-U and I don't usually enjoy Mario Party games, it was a pass for me but it was informative to read about it. Thanks for sharing!

You are absolutely welcome, glad you enjoyed reading my post about this game! :) It definitely was a cash grab for $60 when it came out for sure, but it is totally worth it now for $20 or less if you can get it brand new (even for just the Amiibo)! :) Like I said in a previous post, I still think the most infuriating thing regarding the Amiibo is the fact you have to have cards and figures to experience all the content even though figures and cards have the same kind of NFC chip inside of them! >_>

I can see why you thought of the game as "unfinished" because I felt there were aspects of the map that seemed odd like how the beach looks next to the town on the east side and there were other oddities as well which is why I hypothesize the game could have been made to make sure certain assets were not wasted. They technically made minigames, but I know what you mean! ;) It is unfortunate that they didn't integrate them somehow to the main board game mode and that you have to play the board game a ton to save up enough Happy Tickets to unlock all of them. :/

Yeah, like, the basic idea of a Animal Crossing Party game doesn't sound that bad at all actually, but the way amiibo Festival was delivered... It's kinda a shame that the game came out like this, as I think more people were more interested in it, if it would offer more and also wouldn't have that dumb amiibo force. I mean, if it would be at least worth to buy amiibo stuff to play the game. But that's unfortunately not the case here with amiibo Festival.

Maybe Nintendo should think about of making something like a "Mario Party All Star", like a Mario Party with characters and mini-games based of other Nintendo games. They could easy add AC characters and could take some parts of Amiibo Festival and give them some development.

Last edited:
Yeah, like, the basic idea of a Animal Crossing Party game doesn't sound that bad at all actually, but the
way Amiibo Festival was delivered... It's kinda a shame that the game came out like this, as I think more
people were more interested in it, if it would offer more and also wouldn't have that dumb amiibo force. I
mean, if it would be at least worth to buy amiibo stuff to play the game. But that's unfortunately not the
case here with Amiibo Festival.

Maybe Nintendo should think about of making something like a "Mario Party All Star", like a Mario Party
with characters and mini-games based of other Nintendo games. They could easy add AC characters
and could take some parts of Amiibo Festival and give them some development.

Yeah, it is a shame that Nintendo didn't fully take advantage of the opportunity because Amiibo Festival could have been a huge seller and greatly loved by the Animal Crossing community if they had put more effort and thought into it. Since Nintendo did cross the line in Mario Kart 8 by allowing non-Mario characters into the game (R.O.B. on Mario Kart DS doesn't really count since that character could easily fit in a Mario game), it definitely is possible they could do the same thing with Mario Party which could be interesting. :)

I don't even have a Wii U so I can't, unfortunately. But someone else might want it I guess? lol

I don't even have a Wii U so I can't, unfortunately. But someone else might want it I guess? lol

Ah, I see (I think I missed that detail in a previous post?)! Yeah, you could just sell it to Gamestop, eBay, or whatever just to recoup the cost a bit of acquiring the Amiibo if need be. lol

Ah, I see (I think I missed that detail in a previous post?)! Yeah, you could just sell it to Gamestop, eBay, or whatever just to recoup the cost a bit of acquiring the Amiibo if need be. lol

I don't think I wrote it out either but yeah if they work with NL then yeah it'd defo cover up the costs lolll

I feel you on that one. ^
I unfortunately bought it on release for $60... Still can't believe they even sold it at that price.
If they even bother putting it out of clearance, I see it go for $20 now.

I haven't bought it at all, which I guess is better than paying full price lol

I got it about a year or two ago when it was on clearance for $20. I mainly wanted the amiibo, so I didn't mind if the game was really that good or not. Honestly, I don't hate it, though I can see why everyone else does. It's a good party game to play with friends and family that are not really into video games since you don't have to play minigames like in Mario Party. Still, I wish that it appealed to the Mario Party audience as well by adding minigames as an optional feature (I know it has some, but they are independent of the main board game), if they did that then it could have been a decent Mario Party clone.

I got it about a year or two ago when it was on clearance for $20. I mainly wanted the amiibo, so I didn't mind if the game was really that good or not. Honestly, I don't hate it, though I can see why everyone else does. It's a good party game to play with friends and family that are not really into video games since you don't have to play minigames like in Mario Party. Still, I wish that it appealed to the Mario Party audience as well by adding minigames as an optional feature (I know it has some, but they are independent of the main board game), if they did that then it could have been a decent Mario Party clone.

I definitely think they should have made minigames as optional feature for sure because I feel like the game would have gotten more praise if it did! :) I still think that it is dumb that you have to have cards to play the minigames instead of making the figures useable (even though the technology is the same)... >_> I bet if the minigames were integrated into the board game mode, they would have made the figures useable. They probably did that so that they could make more money out of the deal. :/

Back