• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

My guide to hybrids answering your flower questions

mystery

Bells
In order to get hybrids you put two flowers next to each other that are compatible and water them there’s then a chance for them to spawn the next day.

The way they work in new horizons is similar to how they do in the real world they have a genetic system where each flower remembers its parents and passes down certain genes though you couldn’t tell by looking at it a red rose that spawns from a white and red could in theory spawn a pink rose when placed next to a red rose for example. If you have two hybrids of the same species you can breed more to speed the process up.

Because of the system in place there’s a couple of flowers that can only be spawned from two hybrids together making them rarer which I’ll mention at the end first the easy ones

Lillies

Red and red = chance at black

Red and white = chance at pink

Red and orange = chance at orange

Cosmos

Red and yellow = chance at orange

Red and white = chance and pink

Orange and orange = slim chance at black

Hyacinths

White and red = chance at pink

White and white = chance at blue

Orange and orange = slim chance at purple or blue two of these blue might make purples quicker

Tulips

Red and white = chance at pink

Orange and orange = slim chance at purple

Now the rest are a tad more complicated

Pansies

white and white = chance at blue

Blue and red = chance at what is known as a hybrid red or red* it won’t look different but

Red* and blue = chance at purple

Windflowers

Red and orange = chance at pink

White and white = chance at blue

Blue and pink = chance at *pink or *red

*pink and *pink or *red and *red = slim chance at purple

Chrysanthemums

White and white = chance at purple

Red and yellow = chance at *yellow

*yellow and *yellow = slim chance at green or chance at *purple

*purple and *purple = chance at green

And lastly we turn to the roses which are easily the most difficult blue roses in particular are basically mythical in rarity

White and white = chance at purple

Those are the basics you can also get gold by watering a black rose with a gold watering can for blues we have three ways to go about it one of which I don’t even completely understand so I’ll just cover the two I can

The easy but slow way is this

Orange and purple together can produce *red roses two of which have a chance at blue roses the reason it’s so slow is the *reds spawn 25% of the time but orange and purple can also spawn normal useless reds and because you can’t tell the difference it’s impossible to know until they produce a blue.

There’s also another reason this method isn’t great even if you have working *red’s you have about a 1/64 chance or 1.6 percent chance for blue roses to spawn through this method

The other way is a little more complicated and I’ve never personally finished it to prove it works but apparently

Yellow and white = chance at *white

Purple and *white for chance at *purple

Now apparently this combination can also result in bog standard purples the way to tell the difference is this normal purples cannot make orange roses

*purple and orange = chance at *orange

*orange and *orange = chance at blue

Or *red

These reds have a greater chance at blues

So yeah, it’s more than a tad complicated and definitely not for everyone last thing worth mentioning is this

Flowers are much like fruit decided when you first start a save file you get your native flower (the one found on your cliffs at the start) and a sister flower one you often find on nook mile islands.

The rest should cycle through your shop as seasons change what’s important to note is you have a chance at a nook mile island having hybrids which are more than they seem.

For unknown reasons these hybrids found on nook mile islands have a greater chance at producing the rarer hybrids than normal in other words for example two orange roses found on one of these islands can actually make blue without jumping through any hoops

From islands

Blue and blue pansies and windflowers make purple

Black and black tulips from these islands make purple

Blue and blue hyacinths make purple

Ect ect

sources
Me I’ve grown every hybrid except blue roses, purple hyacinths, green mums and purple tulips

This document here which contains all the science behind how it works on a technical level

And lastly often overlooked this user for what is as far as I’ve been able to come across the fasted blue rose guide without resulting to guessing games.

Last edited:
I realise there are other guides out there but as the blue rose guides rarely show this method and I’ve just rewritten it I thought I’d post this just to say I’ve updated it.

Back