• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

More questions regarding hybrids

AnimalCrossngAddict

Bells
I am new at hybrids and I have not been very successful. I have more hybrids from not even trying.

I do have the Beautiful ordinance.

I have tried planting using the checkerboard pattern and tried just putting 2 together. NO LUCK!!!
I planted some fertilizer. NO LUCK!!

I have also read every single website about hybrids.

I planted half of dozen orange roses together and NOTHING appeared. No red, no yellow, no nothing!!!!!!!
I planted these using the checkerboard pattern.

I also have a private beach with red and yellow roses. The roses have been there over a week. Not even one hybrid.

What am I doing wrong?

1. Do I water all the flowers in my town or just the ones I am trying to hybrid?

2. Should new flowers appear the next day after planting or do they appear several days later?

3. Do I water several times a day?

Thank you for taking the time to reply --- I really appreciate it!!!!!!

Last edited:
It would help if you only watered the ones you want to breed. The checkboard pattern never worked well for me, I always just put my flower directly next to each other and it works. I read an article on how they programmed New Leaf differently so putting them next to each other works better, I don't know how accurate that article is, but it sure has helped me.

It's pretty random, I've gotten hybrids the day after of planting the flowers. I also don't think watering them more than once a day helps at all. Some people claim you can get more hybrids if you don't have a beautiful ordinance, but I'm not sure how true that is.

Last edited:
I find when breeding hybrids its best to only water the hybrids (eg. 2 white roses, 3 purple roses around the white- only water the purple roses.) So only water the ones you want to breed. Also sometimes its better to just plant them in a line c: (Eg. White, red, white, red) and some places are better to breed, so try placing in different places in your town and see where they breed best c:
Depends really, I think you only have a chance of getting 1-2 hybrids a day or something, so somtimes you may get nothing at all :c
And no, once a day should be enough c:

If you need any hybrids to start some breeding, don't hesitate to ask c:

Try to plant your flowers like this:

O X O X O
X O X O X
O X O X O

O = flowers
X = empty slot

Another example (with colors) for orange rose:

O X O X
X O X O
O X O X

O = yellow rose
O = red rose
X = empty slot

If you use a fertilizer, try to bury it in the center of your garden like this:

X O X O X
O X O X O
X O F O X
O X O X O
X O X O X

O = flowers
X = empty slot
F = fertilizer

Garden's size is up to you & you only need to water it once a day. Watering your flowers using silver can will slightly increase the hybrid process faster than a watering can or gold can. When i was still breeding red roses in a very huge garden, i got like 1~4 pink roses (or 1 black rose sometimes) every day.

Last edited:
Just water the ones you want to breed... try watering only two flowers, that always works for me! I usually get 1 or 2 hybrids a day this way

I do believe that the watering can you're using will also play a role in flower breeding. I think the regular can is just whatever, the silver can is optimal, and the golden can is good for watering a bunch of flowers at once at the sacrifice of percentage of breeding a hybrid.

However, I could be wrong about this.

Last edited:
It would help if you only watered the ones you want to breed. The checkboard pattern never worked well for me, I always just put my flower directly next to each other and it works. I read an article on how they programmed New Leaf differently so putting them next to each other works better, I don't know how accurate that article is, but it sure has helped me.

It's pretty random, I've gotten hybrids the day after of planting the flowers. I also don't think watering them more than once a day helps at all. Some people claim you can get more hybrids if you don't have a beautiful ordinance, but I'm not sure how true that is.

Some people claim you can get more hybrids if you don't have a beautiful ordinance

I believe this might be correct. I have more hybrids with Bell ordinance than with the Beatuiful ordinance.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Thank you to everyone for taking YOUR time to help me!!!!!

Everyone posted great tips!!!!!!!

Time is a precious commodity. You took your time to help me and I respect and appreciate your effort.

You could have ignored this post and moved on.

Three cheers for everyone.

I don't know about anyone else but this is what works for me:

Two flowers next to each other. Water them. That's it.
Or maybe I am just lucky. I produce crap loads of hybrids everyday, I always have extras that I give away.

Last edited:
Back