mental illnesses?

I was raised to not believe in ADD or ADHD as diseases. As for what I believe, I think it gets severely over diagnosed. I hope to be a psychologist though so I'm trying to learn to be more understanding, lol.
I would be very happy if this was true and ADHD was just something made up, I assure you it would make my life much easier to handle if I didn't have it and didn't need meds to have an almost regular day at least once in a while that other people get to have more often.

Oh, for the thread: ADHD. It's so much fun when everything feels like **** and you can't concentrate or have a little bit of quiet in the head.. Right? :D (yeah, a tiny bit of sarcasm there..)
Only thing to do is get used to it and make it work to learn to live with it.. And if lucky, without help or meds in the future.

i dont think i have any
id like to write about my mom's... but... maybe i'll leave that out
so i might possibly have some of what she has through genetics and what not
or maybe it's just that she's a really rude person and cant grasp the concept of courtesy ^________^y
nvm she lashes out randomly >_____> or is that not an illness
idk. maybe it's not as severe as what other people have :/
/sympathybutnoempathy

I have been diagnosed with Bipolar type 2 disorder

I've also been diagnosed last year with avoident and dependent personality disorder

Last edited:
I have GAD and my Doctor suspects I may suffer from Paranoia too so I'm going to be tested for that at some point, though I think he may be right.

My GAD is such as pain in the bum, for example last Saturday I went into town with my mum and I was completely fine, I go into town again a few days later and I have a panic attack in the car and my Anxiety played up the whole time :/ It can be very unpredictable so taking my medication is a must, even if it doesn't always help... Also I don't get jokes or sarcasm at all, so when someone jokes about me I take it very personally and, depending on the joke, it can cause me to have a panic attack. I'm a walking mess, I have no idea how my boyfriend has put up with me.

I was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder early on, I have accepted it; however I used to throw things and scream when my anger attacks were onset ;_; I am now quite calm compared to previous <: I almost broke a cellphone as a teen ugh not good Dx

I also have some weird problem with panic/anxiety attacks but both of these are being controlled so now I feel normal enough <:

I could go on about my family haha, we have many problems; except my mom xD

I have GAD and my Doctor suspects I may suffer from Paranoia too so I'm going to be tested for that at some point, though I think he may be right.

My GAD is such as pain in the bum, for example last Saturday I went into town with my mum and I was completely fine, I go into town again a few days later and I have a panic attack in the car and my Anxiety played up the whole time :/ It can be very unpredictable so taking my medication is a must, even if it doesn't always help... Also I don't get jokes or sarcasm at all, so when someone jokes about me I take it very personally and, depending on the joke, it can cause me to have a panic attack. I'm a walking mess, I have no idea how my boyfriend has put up with me.

Exactly what happens to me, so I completely get it. You should look into mindfulness, Progressive Muscle relaxation, or deep diaphragmatic breathing. They can help :)

your line of thinking is correct, but just know it isnt that easy. ive been on meds half my life, and theyve never truly worked for me.
but, if i stopped them now, i know i would kill myself. i dont even need to be off of them to want to but thats a different story

rewiring your brain to love yourself isnt easy. its doable, yes, but personally, i dont think ill ever be able to do it. i have hopes for others, though, and i wish everyone the best of luck.

edit: also, as a pharmacist you would know that stopping your medications suddenly can cause serious ****. i hope that girl did it gradually.
also, the goal that therapists try to teach us (or at least some of mine have) is definitely to try to live healthier and use coping mechanisms like meditation and exercising and eating healthy. again, though, its not easy.

Oh dear...I think there was some misunderstandings! lol

First, I'm not a pharmacist, never said I was :p I just said I work at a pharmacy, sorry for the confusion. It would be awesome if I was a pharmacist though! I'd be making lots of money.

Second, when I said "she threw her medications out" I didn't mean she stopped cold turkey! I don't know her full story, but the main point was to say she decided to stop taking her antidepressants, is all.

and last, I'm sorry if I offended you, like I said in my previous post I have no idea the struggle or how it is to have depression, but my mother had it, and I watch this girl, and I just truly believe in my heart that you honestly can turn your life around and only you can do so. I saw my mother stop taking her anti-depressants, and she's an overall happier person now, as well.

I hope one day you are able to talk to your therapist and maybe make the gradual journey stopping your medication and going on the route of holistic healing <3!

Oh dear...I think there was some misunderstandings! lol

First, I'm not a pharmacist, never said I was :p I just said I work at a pharmacy, sorry for the confusion. It would be awesome if I was a pharmacist though! I'd be making lots of money.

Second, when I said "she threw her medications out" I didn't mean she stopped cold turkey! I don't know her full story, but the main point was to say she decided to stop taking her antidepressants, is all.

and last, I'm sorry if I offended you, like I said in my previous post I have no idea the struggle or how it is to have depression, but my mother had it, and I watch this girl, and I just truly believe in my heart that you honestly can turn your life around and only you can do so. I saw my mother stop taking her anti-depressants, and she's an overall happier person now, as well.

I hope one day you are able to talk to your therapist and maybe make the gradual journey stopping your medication and going on the route of holistic healing <3!

oh im sorry i mustve misread, i tend to do that a lot
and no i wasnt offended haha, i apologize if i came off that way. i guess im mostly jsut wistful, wish i knew what it was like to be on your end hehe

but thank you very much <333

I was raised to not believe in ADD or ADHD as diseases. As for what I believe, I think it gets severely over diagnosed. I hope to be a psychologist though so I'm trying to learn to be more understanding, lol.

As someone with a kindergarten teacher as a mother with two cousins with ADHD, I can tell you ADHD and ADD are completely real things. Like any condition, it comes in varying degrees of seriousness. Kindergarten is usually when it begins to really show, or the parents realize their kids aren't just wild. Most of these kids cannot concentrate and in some cases, control themselves. My mom has kids that are awful at the beginning of the school year, but if the parents take the kids to a doctor about it and they get on medication, they function much, much better. They do better and class and get in trouble a lot less often.

As for the medicine thing - I have two cousins with ADHD. One is in his twenties and has his most under control now, but if he has to do something where it is of the utmost importance that he concentrate, he still takes his medication. He still loses a lot of things and can't settle down and is constantly changing jobs.

My other cousin will be 18 this October and he's in 11th grade - barely. He has ADHD too, but his parents don't believe in medication for that. He is always getting into trouble and is badly behaved. Not because he's rebellious or hates his parents or anything, but he just can't control himself. That's why he's failed grades and is barely scraping through now, because he just can't concentrate or control himself.

I'm not saying that all cases of ADHD are that serious, or that everybody with ADHD and ADD need medications. Some can function well without it, like my older cousin. And some people benefit from medication. Just like with any condition.

Sorry to ask, but what does GAD stand for?

I have major depressive disorder (unipolar disorder). Its like bipolar but without the mania. So basically random weeks and monthes of depression. When im depressed I cant sleep. I also was diagnosed with agoraphobia a while back, but it was a misdiagnosis (imo). I just have trouble with feeling confined or not being able to leave if I wanted to. I also have mild OCD and anxiety. It seems like a lot but i've lived with all of it since I can remember. My dad and grandmother both have mental illnesses, it kind of runs in the family. therapy doesn't help because it isnt caused by any specific issue, just chemical imbalances. I've learned to be able to deal with it.

I have major depressive disorder (unipolar disorder). Its like bipolar but without the mania. So basically random weeks and monthes of depression. When im depressed I cant sleep. I also was diagnosed with agoraphobia a while back, but it was a misdiagnosis (imo). I just have trouble with feeling confined or not being able to leave if I wanted to. I also have mild OCD and anxiety. It seems like a lot but i've lived with all of it since I can remember. My dad and grandmother both have mental illnesses, it kind of runs in the family. therapy doesn't help because it isnt caused by any specific issue, just chemical imbalances. I've learned to be able to deal with it.

I have a lot of similar symptoms. I have OCD, Major Depressive Disorder, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I have difficulty leaving the house as well, but not agoraphobia. Have you tried taking medication? Also, you could maybe look into Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT), Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) and Exposure and Response Prevention Therapy (ERP) in addition to medication. I'm currently on medication, have gone through cycles of DBT, CBT and ERP and they've helped for me, though it still is hard of course.

I have a lot of similar symptoms. I have OCD, Major Depressive Disorder, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I have difficulty leaving the house as well, but not agoraphobia. Have you tried taking medication? Also, you could maybe look into Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT), Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) and Exposure and Response Prevention Therapy (ERP) in addition to medication. I'm currently on medication, have gone through cycles of DBT, CBT and ERP and they've helped for me, though it still is hard of course.

I've been on and off antidepressants since I was 8. currently i'm just on trazadone which is an antidepressant that helps me sleep (I have insomnia). I've done different types of therapy since I was really little. I know i've done CBT and ERP. None of it seems to help. sometime it gets really disappointing when nothing seems to work. I stopped therapy two years ago I think. Just don't see the point in doing it again especially since I have to use my moms money and it makes me feel guilty. Im glad therapy has helped you though, for most people it does seem to help. I just don't like talking to people. Whats DBT?

i'm on and off eskalith (lithium for my bipolar) because i abused the medication quite a bit, but i still have zoloft (an antidepressant) to assist with my anxiety and depression (which obviously stems from having three other disorders for three years). i absolutely hate zoloft, it does nothing good for me and i'd much rather have my eskalith back but i'm stupid and i can't!

I've been on and off antidepressants since I was 8. currently i'm just on trazadone which is an antidepressant that helps me sleep (I have insomnia). I've done different types of therapy since I was really little. I know i've done CBT and ERP. None of it seems to help. sometime it gets really disappointing when nothing seems to work. I stopped therapy two years ago I think. Just don't see the point in doing it again especially since I have to use my moms money and it makes me feel guilty. Im glad therapy has helped you though, for most people it does seem to help. I just don't like talking to people. Whats DBT?

I was on trazadone as well, but it left me with a sleep "hangover" the next day, which made it hard to function (I was really foggy). I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling and feel helpless. DBT may be the answer, since it combines CBT and acceptance. The two components = CBT (change) and self-acceptance--hence DIelectical Behavior Therapy. It allows you to work on interpersonal effectiveness skills, emotion regulation (which includes healthier sleeping patterns, etc.) and distress tolerance skills. I've gone through an intense program for DBT and it helped tremendously in narrowing the field of intensity for my emotions. They're easier to deal with and now I can have mostly CBT and ERP therapies to treat my OCD instead of having to deal with such extreme emotional waves all of the time. Plus, it helps when I'm by myself and not in therapy, too. You should check out mindfulness meditation as well--that could help and goes along with DBT. Try researching it a bit more--you might be surprised. I thought I didn't need it, but I think everyone could use a little help in that department.

Anyway, if you have any questions or concerns or just want to talk, feel free to PM me :)

yea diff medicines work for diff people. I think I know what you mean about the sleep hangover though. Before my psychiatrist put me on trazadone I tried a different sleeping pill (forgot the name) and it made me feel really funny all day. You know that sucky feeling you get when waking up from a nap? like everything isnt real or something? thats how it made me feel but 24/7. ill research mindfulness meditation later. thanks for your advice.

Feel free to pm me as well. :)

i'm on and off eskalith (lithium for my bipolar) because i abused the medication quite a bit, but i still have zoloft (an antidepressant) to assist with my anxiety and depression (which obviously stems from having three other disorders for three years). i absolutely hate zoloft, it does nothing good for me and i'd much rather have my eskalith back but i'm stupid and i can't!

Zoloft didn't do much for me, either. To be fair, I couldn't take very high doses because I had negative side effects at those higher dosages...I prefer Prozac and Luvox.

I take Zoloft for anxiety.
When I don't take it, I get very nervous and anxious.

do phobias count? if so, i've looked up the official names for a few of mine.
  • alektorophobia - fear of chickens
  • arachnophobia - fear of spiders (obvious)
  • hadephobia - fear of hell
  • hippophobia - fear of horses
  • insectophobia - fear of insects
pretty general things. i think i may develop anger management issues later on in life, though. more serious than they are, i mean.

do phobias count? if so, i've looked up the official names for a few of mine.
  • alektorophobia - fear of chickens
  • arachnophobia - fear of spiders (obvious)
  • hadephobia - fear of hell
  • hippophobia - fear of horses
  • insectophobia - fear of insects
pretty general things. i think i may develop anger management issues later on in life, though. more serious than they are, i mean.

Spiders. -shivers with disgust and fear- I feel you xD

Back