mental illnesses?

For me, without medication, it's just constant irritability and I'm very emotional and I get upset very easily. It's not necessarily pain as much as it is frustration. I take medication for my depression, which does in turn leave me to feel pretty apathetic and non emotional.

I'm curious. For those who have a professionally diagnosed depression, does it feel more like pain or numbness? My psych teacher told me it has more to do with apathy than actually feeling sad/depressed, but some people here feel scared, sad, angry, and lonely yet are diagnosed with it. What happens during depression?

I don't believe I've been diagnosed with any mental disorders and I don't want to find out if I do.

I think depression can be different for everybody for me personally, different feelings and emotions come in waves. I might feel "sad", unmotivated, helpless and lonely for a while but then the next week be feeling apathetic, numb, and hopeless (these are the scariest times because reality becomes blurred and undefined). I have bi-polar depression so my depression may not last as long as others but (especially compared to the high feelings) it feels so intense/heavy.
I know for my father who suffers from the same thing that he feels helpless and irritable. He's just angry and upset and often sleeps alot (as do i).

I think that knowing that my depression might only last a week helps me get through it, but it the same sense it hurts more knowing that my happiness may only last a short time. The length of my depressed periods varies (from months to days) but it happiness that really scares me. Knowing that nothing is definite sucks alot and i often find myself wondering "is today the day or tomorrow? How long this time?

Note: (In addition to my bipolar depression i also have EDNOS. I am not being treated for either)

sorry for the long post i just wanted to explain as best as i can

It's true that happiness is short lived. The same could be said about depression. It's good to know that something really great must have happened before that could produce the deep pain afterwards. We have to take the good with the bad.

Last edited:
I have ADD that I can't take medication for, and a type of dyslexia where I seriously cannot understand numbers (instead of letters). I was gonna get help for the dyslexia thing but, I kid you not, the place burnt down. So my parents just decided there was no cure for "stupid" and they gave up. I'm making straight A's, even with my illnesses though. So uh, follow your dreams~

Back