Make Me Cry Nintendo

Propaganda Man

Bells
<big><big><big><big>Make Me Cry Nintendo</big></big>

Intro</big></big>
<big></big><big><big>

For a long time books, television, and movies are all something people can call entertainment. I'm sure every person in the U.S.A. has been asked once in their life, "Did you see last nights 24?" While video games may be popular and talked about within a circle; it is nowhere near the level books, television, and movies have reached. They reached that level by doing something Nintendo really seems to have yet to look at. Make me cry. Make me cry tears of joy when Mario finally rescues Princess Peach. Make me cry tears of sadness when everyone Link knows gets kidnapped or disappears into the dark. What I'm saying is, make a video game that people will remember for its content rather than its sales.

When graphics and gameply are great and equal, you get a masterpiece

Does anyone else remember back in the day when kids ran around the neighborhood using their fingers as guns always shooting the perfect shot, but no one ever dies? Halo is the exact same as that game. However, there is one similarity and one difference. Back then no one ever died because they wouldn't admit it. Halo confirms it for you. But both of the shooting games haven't really given anyone the thought of the horrors of war like so many books and movies have. No matter how gory and great the graphics are for a war game, if the game play is just "shoot them up" that's all it will be; another "shoot them up" game. However, if the game play and story really captured the horrors of war and the graphics lacked greatly, no one would believe it. Everything needs a balance.

This really goes for anything. Especially movies. You need a good story a long with good effects or things will become predictable and hard to believe. M.I.3. had great action scenes. The director and producers set out what they wanted to do, make an action movie. But was it really that great of a movie? The story left the audience wanting to use instant replay not for the action scenes, but so we could find out who the villain is. Movies and books such as The Lord of the Rings captured so many different emotions with their characters: the feeling of giving up hope, homesickness, love, courage, fury, and so much more. Asking whether grahpics is more important than gameplay is stupid. Thats like asking would you want a huge supply of water but little food, or a large supply of food and little water. You need both not only to make great games but further advance the technology of games.

What needs to be done

Most of the time, masterpieces are not sequels.

If Nintendo wanted to make me cry, they would have to do it on their first time. Having a plumber fall in love with a princess and the only way to saver her is for him to risk his life against all odds could make a great story. Unfortunately, it was overdone immensely and Mario is just a mascot.

A mascot at a football game only makes you smile for 3 hours and then you go home and talk about something different which is the football game.

Nintendo would need to do something it seems it has been reluctant to do in its many franchises. They need to let the main character talk. Whether it be the game Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing, Pikmin, Kirby, and Pokemon; the character you play as doesn't talk. Why they do this I don't know, but what I do know is that a story can't be complete with people speaking for your character the whole game. Look at Halo for an example. Do you think Master Chief would be as legendary if he didn't talk at all during the cut scenes?

Conclusion

I'm not saying don't make fun games where you don't have to think much. Those are important. But go the extra mile and instead of just letting me escape from reality, make me play in one you make. Make me feel my guts twist when I hear Bowser laugh and mock Mario. Make me feel a sigh of relief that the world and Zelda is safe, not that the game could be over. Make me cry tears of sadness over the horrors of war. Make me cry tears of joy of reunited love. What I'm saying is, make me cry Nintendo.

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

I've never felt the Halo games were as divine as so many people make them out to be, and your quote:
Does anyone else remember back in the day when kids ran around the neighborhood using their fingers as guns always shooting the perfect shot, but no one ever dies? Halo is the exact same as that game.
pretty much sums it up. Halo is just another shooter where people die thousands of times, and memories are not made in the game. The story is nothing to brag about. And, although it is fun, it's sad to call it a legendary game, ahead of classics such as Ocarina or FFIX.

I just received word from Nintendo that they're never making another game again! Are you crying yet?

But I don't think a game/movie/book has ever made me cry.

DarthGohan1 said:
:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

I've never felt the Halo games were as divine as so many people make them out to be, and your quote:
Does anyone else remember back in the day when kids ran around the neighborhood using their fingers as guns always shooting the perfect shot, but no one ever dies? Halo is the exact same as that game.
pretty much sums it up. Halo is just another shooter where people die thousands of times, and memories are not made in the game. The story is nothing to brag about. And, although it is fun, it's sad to call it a legendary game, ahead of classics such as Ocarina or FFIX.
Thanks

;)

Don't get me wrong, I love Halo, I played it today and yesterday even. But in a decade, with the series suposedly over, I don't think people will remember it that well, much less play it.

Great article. Reminds me of something I once wrote...

http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/board/...scending&page=1

"I CRY, and so will non-gamers!

No, I don't mean cry as in "I'm-so-sad-I-don't-care-about-anything-anymore", I mean cry as in "I-am-crying-because-what-I-am-witnessing-is-so-darn-beautiful". Please excuse my excessively wordy definitions, but they're quite necessary to guide your gaze into my true point, and to avoid false opinions; I don't mean that Nintendo fails in every aspect and their attempt to get non-gamers playin', I mean that non-gamers appreciate graphics, and so should REAL gamers!

Without graphics, a game is nothing. Sure, gameplay is really important, but let's look at it this way; gameplay is the core of the game, whereas graphics, by which I hope you understand I mean all other aspects of the game, is the lip gloss and the sugary coating... In short, the appeal. A game can contain only stunning gameplay and awful graphics, but what will that game be? Certainly not legendary, if it will even be remembered. Likewise, we can say the same for a game that has awful gameplay and stupendous graphics. However, a non-gamer looks at all of it differently, and I have numerous examples to prove it all.

My mother being one of the examples, I'll detail the experience thus. She loves beautiful things, to put a long story short, and she really appreciates stunning art direction, music, and graphical quality. Not being much of a gamer, she of course ignored breathtaking games like Final Fantasy III. I risked it, and showed her the opening trailer from that game. Indeed, she was fascinated, and it is not often that she is fascinated by a game; the last time, and frankly the first time that that happened was when she saw the first-ever trailer for Twilight Princess.

She immediately asked me if FFIII was already out. I said that it was only in Japan, but that it would come to the States soon. But suddenly, my mind raced; "How can my mother be excited for a videogame if she's never even been excited for anything regarding games?", I thought. Truly, it was amazing, and could only be explained by my main point; non-gamers love beautiful things, and graphics are that indeed.

My mother is a fan of Hayao Miyazaki, the famous anime movie director. Hayao Miyazaki is famous for loving flying contraptions, and the musical score that accompanies his films is usually a fleeting one (the music in Miyazaki films is written by Joe Hisaishi), suiting as a perfect accompaniment for the flying castles and ships. After seeing the FFIII trailer, my mother immediately thought of Miyazaki's work, and of Hisaishi's scores; surely, this all of this isn't a coincidence.

It's true. Non-gamers can be drawn into a videogame with graphics only. We can all understand Nintendo's approach to non-gaming games, but are they on the right track? Of course, they can attract old timers that need to get their brain on the right track with games like Brain Age, but will these games work for others? My personal experiences are different than most people's, and I have noticed that Touch Generations games work on only people that need introduction to gaming. They don't work on people like my mother, who's been ingulfed in gaming ever since she bought me an N64 when I was 4.

All she needed to see was that beautiful trailer. I'm not bashing Nintendo's approach, indeed, I was the first to see their point of view and was one of the first to embrace it. However, I am now beginning to see how their approach is flawed. Wii Sports won't stun people with its beautiful character models or artistic direction, nor will it have an orchestral score. All it will have is the core, the gameplay. Nintendo seems to think that this is enough to get people into gaming, but I think otherwise.

Non-gamers aren't children. They don't need stripped-down software. Why not give them a game like Final Fantasy III, but perhaps with easier controls and easier to understand gameplay, instead of games like Brain Age? Of course, Brain Age is selling, but who's to say that FFIII ala non-gamer couldn't sell more? Indeed, I believe it could, and it should. Nintendo just needs to understand this, and to realize this."

Bit different from what you wrote, but still somewhat the same. Crying and remembering a game just for that moment is very important...

All I remember from that article is that you asked me to bump it and the title >.<

Why'd didn't you tell me this when I PMed you

:unsure:

JJH0369 said:
I just received word from Nintendo that they're never making another game again! Are you crying yet?

But I don't think a game/movie/book has ever made me cry.
I don't mean just crying. But other emotions as well. Look at the movie Blood Diamond for example. Great great movie in every way. The acting was great and so was the story but what made it stand out above the rest is how it delt with an issue.

Video games, books, movies; I feel no emotion when reading/watching/playing them, simply because it's not real, or it hasn't happened to me.

Fabio said:
Video games, books, movies; I feel no emotion when reading/watching/playing them, simply because it's not real, or it hasn't happened to me.
Same way how I feel, pretty much. I don't think that video games will ever give the average person who plays it emotion, maybe it will give an emotional gamer but not an average gamer. It's just too hard to do, and I don't think anyone knows how to do it.

Super_Naruto said:
Fabio said:
Same way how I feel, pretty much. I don't think that video games will ever give the average person who plays it emotion, maybe it will give an emotional gamer but not an average gamer. It's just too hard to do, and I don't think anyone knows how to do it.
The average gamer is going to be playing Halo. Before that the average gamer played Donkey Kong. In time the average gamer will change and I hope it won't be the way Nintendo is pushing right now with the Miis. I don't want to see the Wii done again. It is fine how it is.

Super_Naruto said:
Fabio said:
Oh my god, OF COURSE PEOPLE KNOW HOW. You need to learn one thing YOUR OPINIONS OR THOUGHTS DON'T REFLECT OTHER PEOPLE'S AND THEY NEVER EVER WILL.

I think I remember why link doesn't talk.. wasn't it because they wanted you to feel more like you were him or something? I might be remembering wrong though D=

Bulerias said:
Wow, SN, smart. Nice PM to me calling me an "emotional gamer".
Well...people who feel feelings for story's of games are emotional gamers, nothing wrong with that, I think. And I sent that days ago.

Super_Naruto said:
Bulerias said:
Wow, SN, smart. Nice PM to me calling me an "emotional gamer".
Well...people who feel feelings for story's of games are emotional gamers, nothing wrong with that, I think. And I sent that days ago.
I really don't see how that makes someone an emotional gamer. One could say it makes them a hard core gamer.

Well, you shouldn't cry/be happy/be mad/or feel other feelings along what happens in the story of a game. That just means you're an emotional gamer who is one with the game. The only emotions I feel during a game are: frustration(stuck, etc.), happy (when i get it or when i beat it). I just don't see how you can get your emotions intertwined with a game's story.

Super_Naruto said:
Well, you shouldn't cry/be happy/be mad/or feel other feelings along what happens in the story of a game. That just means you're an emotional gamer who is one with the game. The only emotions I feel during a game are: frustration(stuck, etc.), happy (when i get it or when i beat it). I just don't see how you can get your emotions intertwined with a game's story.
It's easy. If a game is immersive enough, then it's extremely easy to lose yourself in a story. Yeah, I admit, if something is written/designed well, it can trigger a few emotions... Like when Dumbledore died in Harry Potter 6. I gotta admit I, err... Well, kind of did the opposite of laugh. D:

Super_Naruto said:
Okay, fine, but look at the Oscars. Do their awards go to Transformers type movies? Mission Impossible movies? No, I'm saying why should gaming be excluded from this.

Back