Is anyone buying a non-North American version?

I know it has already been said, but stands repeating:

There. Are. No. Regional. Variants*

If you buy a physical Japanese copy of the game and play it on your American Switch, you will get the English version of the game. As many have said already, outside of the Chinese version, the game and Switch are region free. The version of the game that is displayed when you boot the game up is entirely dependent on the region settings in your Switch.

Buy the American physical edition and play it on a European Switch with its region set to Japan? You have the Japanese version of the game. Happen to be vacationing in Korea from Germany and pick up a physical copy there? You're going to be picking up and playing a German copy of the game.

Anyone that is putting themselves through importing a copy of the game from a region other than their own are only subjecting themselves to a longer wait for what is basically a different cover art and sticker on the card. That's it.

*China is the only region that has seen its domestic releases locked down, and it's true for all Switch releases in China and not just Animal Crossing.

I'm in the UK and I think some little UK holidays would be super cute but I don't think they're going to do it since obviously the company is Japanese

If you buy a physical Japanese copy of the game and play it on your American Switch, you will get the English version of the game. As many have said already, outside of the Chinese version, the game and Switch are region free. The version of the game that is displayed when you boot the game up is entirely dependent on the region settings in your Switch.

Buy the American physical edition and play it on a European Switch with its region set to Japan? You have the Japanese version of the game. Happen to be vacationing in Korea from Germany and pick up a physical copy there? You're going to be picking up and playing a German copy of the game.

Anyone that is putting themselves through importing a copy of the game from a region other than their own are only subjecting themselves to a longer wait for what is basically a different cover art and sticker on the card. That's it.

*China is the only region that has seen its domestic releases locked down, and it's true for all Switch releases in China and not just Animal Crossing.

There are for Splatoon 2. Splatfests are regional and depending on your version, not location or language setting and if you purchase DLC later on it might not be compatible if it's from another region. You can have 3 separate installs for Splatoon 2 this way, one from each region. This wouldn't be possible without region locking.

Last time I checked on the game's page in the Japanese Switch eShop, its supported languages also includes several more including English, French, Spanish, German, Italian and whatnot. Basically what the European version would usually include, save for Japanese.
Meanwhile in the North American one, only English, French and Spanish were shown supported.

While some Switch games may contain regional differences between regions, New Horizons might not be among those games.

EDIT: Just looked today, and the North American page of the game has been updated to say it supports not only English, Spanish, and French, but also Japanese, German, Italian, Dutch, Russian, Korean, and both traditional and simplified Chinese. So, practically all languages from North America, Europe, Japan, China and South Korea.

Last edited:
Hello, I'm buying the game in France, I guess it will be an european version

Like others said, it's not merely about the 'version' of the game since it's the same game being deployed everywhere (all languages are encoded).

But I believe Animal Crossing games and Nintendo games in general have had cross-promotions with stores where you could download special items and such at "Nintendo Zones" for DS/3DS. Those zones have since been discontinued, but because of licensing issues and region-specific stores, as well as the separate Nintendo companies in each region, they might only release certain items in certain regions.

So if someone is going to PLAY the game in the US/Canada vs. Europe vs Japan, that is the key info to know!

Last edited:

Are you saying that the copy of Animal Crossing I purchase will have every single language track on it, for every single applicable region? And that the language options I get will be entirely dependent on the region with which my Switch is assigned? That seems to be a mighty big waste of space on a cartridge, or on the Switch, when I download the digital copy.

I live in Australia, so the holidays are probably going to be similar, if not the same as other english versions of the game. However, I will be playing with the southern hemisphere seasons, which will be interesting as I'm assuming the majority of the people on here will be experiencing the opposite.

I play the german version but I will set the language to english I guess. Maybe holidays are locked by language like in NL german ones got a berliner and spanish people grapes and you were able to switch the language and got all the different items :)

The past couple of games have had different content between English-speaking regions, so I'm honestly interested in how they're gonna handle it this time around? We know there's going to be a load of Mexico-specific stuff going by that one conference... but I'm really hoping it's linked to your Switch's region setting, because I don't want the word "bellpoint" and the tag "Let's Go To The City" to go away (they don't seem to be in the videos Nintendo UK's posted on Twitter)

On the plus side... yes, I'm playing a different region's game. Hi!

Back