• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Inappropriate dialogue in the older games?

Princess Liz

Bells
Hey everyone, I'm hoping to get some info on this subject since it seems very poorly documented online. Someone on youtube has been berating me for not being aware of perverted dialogue in the older games, and I've tried to find any evidence for this existing, but the "worst" I've found is a video of Cube having a crush on the player during a good luck day, and I just found that wholesome and cute.
Do any of you have any example of dialogue that would be inappropriate? I am so puzzled by this and they keep telling me to "look it up, look it up, it's literally out there" but I can't find it.

Thanks to anyone who knows!

In the early Animal Crossing games, there was no profanity filter. So you could change villager catchphrases and greetings to whatever sordid thing your heart desired, and there wasn't emphasis on the user-generated words to distinguish it from regular dialogue, so it would be easy to take them out of context on the internet. I can only assume that they're either mistaking user-generated content for real content, or they're seeing more innocuous things divorced entirely from context and letting their imagination do the rest.

A couple of standout examples from the dirty screenshots thread linked by Nunnafinga above.

hni_0044-jpg.42384

hni_0095-jpg.42390

The early Animal Crossing games had more crass dialogue, in that they were often more abrasive and grouchy in nature. But nothing I would call inherently "perverted." And certainly nothing that stretched the all ages rating of the game. But in case you don't believe me, here's an admittedly non-extensive but still quite thorough list of villager dialogues. If you find anything that sticks out as terribly inappropriate, please feel free to report back your findings.

I recall a couple of years ago, a member came here complaining about the inappropriate remarks that Redd makes towards the male anatomy of a statue of David, apparently not aware that he makes those same comments to every work of art in the game. I often hate how misapplied this phrase is, but it certainly strikes me as a manufactured controversy. No game is going to agree fully with any person's tastes or beliefs, but Animal Crossing is so abstract that it would be a real challenge to find anything to actually regard as completely inappropriate.

This is actually in New Horizons, but I think it qualifies here. If you’re at the tailor shop and a cranky villager is looking at pants, they’ll say something like, “Wow, those pants look nice, but they’re too constricting. I’m more of a fresh-air fella!” 😂 (Basically, that he’s free-balling.)

This is actually in New Horizons, but I think it qualifies here. If you’re at the tailor shop and a cranky villager is looking at pants, they’ll say something like, “Wow, those pants look nice, but they’re too constricting. I’m more of a fresh-air fella!” 😂 (Basically, that he’s free-balling.)
Does it really count as free-balling if none of the villagers wear pants to begin with? 🤔

What you call inappropriate I call funny xD

But those are just what people give their villagers to call them by, or nick names lol. It's their choice what they say,

The majority of my villagers all have flirty catch phraises. I just find funny cause its like all my guys are flirting with each other. Not all of them are flirty, but still well. *Intetesting* but its more entertaining then something simple. At least for me.

Its just entertaining, and I like it that way. But I will never say what Lopez's is 🙃
I regret teaching him it

I never tought any phrases were perveted wise, you may think some are if you have a dirty mind.

But rude wise? Gamecube surely got its moments...
IMG_20230821_095200.jpg

I still crack up with this phrase nowdays, its mean but funny at the same time. XD

Ahh these are all great 😂 Yeah I think it may have been a case of speaking with someone who has a far dirtier mind than my own. I'll look through the linked thread and dialogue to see if I find anything that stands out to me 🤗

Back